[comp.sys.ibm.pc] safe S-EX, Eh?

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (01/07/90)

I am surprised that there has not been a discussion of the implications
of distributing software in self-extracting archives.  I do this myself,
but the potential for abuse is enormous.  A special concern is with the
LHARC archives, whch have tha ability (at least on the PC) to run a
batch file after extraction.  On the other hand, LHARC archives can be
read with LHARC, whereas ZOO archives ghenerated with SEZ cannot be
read, only extracted, so far as I know.

Any suggestions on how to make the use of the self-extracting archives safe?
--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2

ho@fergvax.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...) (01/08/90)

From article <1990Jan6.201238.10701@cs.dal.ca>, by silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert):
> but the potential for abuse is enormous.  A special concern is with the
> LHARC archives, whch have tha ability (at least on the PC) to run a
> batch file after extraction.  On the other hand, LHARC archives can be
> read with LHARC, whereas ZOO archives ghenerated with SEZ cannot be
> read, only extracted, so far as I know.

Hmmm... so far, I have been unsuccessful in getting LHARC v1.13 to read its
SFX'es ... it just keeps saying "no file," and I have no idea what that's
supposed to mean.

There's a program called RV (verson 1.21 is what I've seen) which can strip
SFX'es into normal files.  It's the only way I'm willing to look at an LHARC
SFX.  I don't know if it can undo a SEZ file or not.

I'm just waiting for someone to upload an uncompressed virial file and claim
it was an SFX.
---
	... Michael Ho, University of Nebraska
Internet: ho@hoss.unl.edu		USnail:  115 Nebraska Union
BITnet:   cosx001@UNLCDC3			 Lincoln, NE 68588-0461

w8sdz@smoke.BRL.MIL (Keith Petersen) (01/08/90)

In article <1368@unocss..unl.edu> ho@fergvax.unl.edu writes:
>... so far, I have been unsuccessful in getting LHARC v1.13 to read its
>SFX'es ... it just keeps saying "no file," and I have no idea what that's
>supposed to mean.

LHARC can read its own SFX files.  You have to give it the FULL name of
the file, including the file type.

Syntax: LHARC E MYFILE.EXE
        LHARC E MYFILE.COM

Works every time.
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, & MISC archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]

jb@altair.uucp (John Birchfield) (01/08/90)

In article <1368@unocss..unl.edu> ho@fergvax.unl.edu writes:
>From article <1990Jan6.201238.10701@cs.dal.ca>, by silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert):
>> but the potential for abuse is enormous.  A special concern is with the
>> LHARC archives, whch have tha ability (at least on the PC) to run a
>> batch file after extraction.  On the other hand, LHARC archives can be
>> read with LHARC, whereas ZOO archives ghenerated with SEZ cannot be
>> read, only extracted, so far as I know.

Zoo versions 2 greater can extract files from either a self-extracting
archive made with sez or from a corrupted archive.  This is done with
the help of a program called fiz which reads teh archive and lists
probable offsets into the archive at which various files reside. You then
run zoo with with the '@n extract/list at position n' option.  If you
ain't got that option available then I suggest you upgrade zoo.  If you
do then look through the files that came with the distribution for the
fiz program. Of course the above instructions are only applicable if
you're interested in getting at self extracting zoo files.  I haven't
seen too many on the net - it seems that they're of less importance
since the virus wars have begun.
+----------------------
+----------------------

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (01/09/90)

> Hmmm... so far, I have been unsuccessful in getting LHARC v1.13 to read its
> SFX'es ... it just keeps saying "no file," and I have no idea what that's
> supposed to mean.

I was using LHARC 1.13c and had no problems extracting files from an
SFX.

The current LHARC is called ICE and I extract files several times a week
from SFX files.

                uucp: larry@nstar -or- ...!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry

ron@woan.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S. Woan) (01/09/90)

In article <511131@nstar.UUCP>, larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
|>The current LHARC is called ICE and I extract files several times a week
|>from SFX files.

Isn't ICE just a version that someone modified the source to use the
extension ICE? I remember in BBS world there was a lot of commotion
when ICE first started showing up that it may contain a Trojan Horse
or something, but someone disassembled it and found that only the
extension had been changed (the README file as well). Anyway, can
someone on Compuserve tell us what the latest LHARC (PC Magazine's
best of the year winner) is. Personally, I only use it for
self-extracting archives because of its low overhead; I'd use it for
general use except for its lack of exceptance in the BBS world.

					Ron

+ Ronald S. Woan  (IBM VNET)WOAN AT AUSTIN, (AUSTIN)ron@woan.austin.ibm.com +
+ outside of IBM       @cs.utexas.edu:ibmchs!auschs!woan.austin.ibm.com!ron +

roy@comcon.UUCP (Roy M. Silvernail) (01/10/90)

In article <1368@unocss..unl.edu>, ho@fergvax.unl.edu (Tiny Bubbles...) writes:
> Hmmm... so far, I have been unsuccessful in getting LHARC v1.13 to read its
> SFX'es ... it just keeps saying "no file," and I have no idea what that's
> supposed to mean.

Use 'lharc l filename.ext'... so if the SFX is wham.com, use 'lharc l
wham.com'

The '!' file in a sfx (if any) is called a telop file, and is displayed
before a sfx is extracted.

The real danger seems to be in imbedding ANSI sequences in a telop.
LHarc 1.13 has a switch for the sfx's that prevents the AUTOLARC.BAT
from being executed unless you tell it to, but the telop is merely
extracted to the screen. I use ANSI.COM as my screen driver, and size
the redefinition buffer to 0, so I need not worry about ANSI trickery.

> I'm just waiting for someone to upload an uncompressed virial file and claim
> it was an SFX.

That would be trivial... need only to mimic the usual display
accompanying a sfx disolving. (not nice... but trivial)
--
_R_o_y _M_. _S_i_l_v_e_r_n_a_i_l  | UUCP: uunet!comcon!roy  |  "Every race must arrive at this
#include <opinions.h>;#define opinions MINE  |   point in its history"

roy@comcon.UUCP (Roy M. Silvernail) (01/10/90)

In article <511131@nstar.UUCP>, larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
> The current LHARC is called ICE and I extract files several times a week
> from SFX files.

According to information I found on SIMTEL, the ICE 'version' of LHarc
is an unauthorized hack. Supposedly, the only thing changed in the file
is the file extension, but Yoshi didn't release it and I wouldn't trust
it. Look for a file called LHWARN in the MSDOS.ARC directory of SIMTEL,
I think.