[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Tandy joystick help

WTW101@PSUVM.BITNET (Bill Warner) (01/06/90)

Hello -

I need some help about Tandy joysticks.  I need to connect one to an
IBM type joystick connector.  I need to know how the various signals
from/to the Tandy joystick correspond to the IBM signals (in the DB-15
connector.)  Does anyone out there know the pinout for the Tandy 6-pin
DIN connector, and how or if they correspond to the IBM pinout?  The IBM
connector is as follows:

DB-15 pin      Function
----------     ------------------------------------
1              +5 vdc
2              button 0
3              position 0
4              ground
6              position 1
7              button 1
8              +5 vdc
9              +5 vdc
10             button 2
11             position 2
12             ground
13             position 3
14             button 3
15             +5 vdc

So far, I have the ground and buttons figured out, but can't figure out
how the potentiometers are connected.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance -

Bill Warner
wtw101@psuvm

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (01/10/90)

WTW101@PSUVM.BITNET (Bill Warner) writes:

>I need some help about Tandy joysticks.  I need to connect one to an
>IBM type joystick connector.  I need to know how the various signals
>from/to the Tandy joystick correspond to the IBM signals (in the DB-15
>connector.)  Does anyone out there know the pinout for the Tandy 6-pin
>DIN connector, and how or if they correspond to the IBM pinout?

Okay, here's the scoop. I can't tell from the diagram in the manual
which pot is X and which is Y. They're labeled A and B. The pots are wired
so that one side is grounded, the other side is +5v and the center tap
(slider) is the signal. They give a variable *voltage* which is fed to
a DAC. This may be a problem if the IBM expects a varying *resistance*.

DIN-6	signal
1	center tap of A pot
2	center tap of B pot
3	ground (wired to pin 3 of both pots, and to both buttons)
4	button 1 (shorts to ground when pressed)
5	+5v (wired to pin 1 of *both* pots)
6	Button 2 (shorts to ground when pressed)

If you figure out how to make the hookup without rewiring the *inside*
of the joysticks post the details. But I somehow doubt you'll do it.

In defense of Tandy, they had a reason for doing it this way. The Joysticks
for the Color Computer differ only in having 1 button and 5 pins. They wanted
to avoid the hassles involved in explaining to Joe Public that he couldn't
use his CoCo joystick on his Tandy PC.
--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]