[comp.sys.ibm.pc] A good c-shell-alike to PC's??

huopio@kannel.lut.fi (Kauto Huopio) (12/19/89)

Does anyone know a good c-shell-alike to PCs ? I know already the MKS-Toolkit,
but that's a korn-shell-alike..

--Kauto

--
****************** Kauto Huopio (huopio@kannel.lut.fi) **********************
*US Mail: Kauto Huopio, Punkkerikatu 1 A 10, SF-53850 Lappeenranta, Finland *

ghh@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (12/20/89)

In article <HUOPIO.89Dec18171119@kannel.lut.fi>, huopio@kannel.lut.fi (Kauto Huopio) writes:
> Does anyone know a good c-shell-alike to PCs ? I know already the MKS-Toolkit,
> but that's a korn-shell-alike..
>
> --Kauto

I have a copy of a program called "SHELL.EXE". I did not use it until I saw your
message. And then I tried it. It works like C-shell but I do not know
how good it is.
    What I tried was :    ls
                          ls -l
                          !!
                          cat filename | more
                          history
                          !3
                    The above all worked.

    What it did not work :    cit filename | more
                              ^i^a^   /* change i to a in a previous command */

    I do not know whether shell script will work or not.

Woochang Jin
wjin@cs.purdue.edu

fredex@cg-atla.UUCP (Fred Smith) (01/11/90)

In article <6060@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> ghh@mentor.cc.purdue.edu writes:
>In article <HUOPIO.89Dec18171119@kannel.lut.fi>, huopio@kannel.lut.fi (Kauto Huopio) writes:
>> Does anyone know a good c-shell-alike to PCs ? I know already the MKS-Toolkit,
>> but that's a korn-shell-alike..

I saw an ad some months ago in the back of Dr. Dobbs Journal from a little
one-man outfit somewhere in Iowa advertising a full C-shell for DOS for
fifty bucks. I have no other information on this one.

I am using Allen  Holub's "unix-like shell", which is available for around
forty bucks from M&T Publishing (publishers of DDJ). The package includes
not only a good-sized book about the shell, usage and design, but also
full source. This is NOT a csh clone, but was inspired by it, and inclujdes
many of the same kinds of features, including aliases and history, and a much
better script language than DOS's standard one (but NOT csh compatible). I find
that it is sufficiently unix-like as to make DOS a much less unfriendly environment.

Fred