[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Modest-budget XT color video recommendations?

wales@valeria.cs.ucla.edu (01/10/90)

I have a "baby-AT" clone -- 8-MHz 286 CPU, XT (8-bit) bus -- with a
monochrome monitor and a Hercules-clone video card.

I would like to upgrade to some kind of color video system, but simply
do not have the money available at this time to spend on a high-end
multisync monitor and 1024x768 super-VGA card.  Neither am I prepared
right now to upgrade the system as a whole to a "full-AT" clone with a
16-bit bus.

Can anyone offer recommendations for a reasonably priced color monitor
and 8-bit-bus VGA card?  Is there any way I can get away with something
acceptable for a total price (monitor + card) of under $400?  If not,
then how about under $500?

I've been told that EGA cards cost about as much as low-end VGA these
days -- so I assume I shouldn't even bother considering EGA.  But if
this is not true (say, because I could get a much less expensive monitor
for EGA than for even low-end VGA), then please tell me.

I am prepared to accept less than blinding speed (as I said, I accept
the fact that I'm stuck with an 8-bit XT bus).  I'm also prepared to
accept the limitations of a monitor that is not "top of the line".  In
short, I know I can't afford a Rolls-Royce color video system right now
-- or even a BMW or Mercedes-Benz system -- so I'm willing to go with a
VW or Toyota system if I can find one.

-- Rich Wales <wales@CS.UCLA.EDU> // UCLA Computer Science Department
   3531 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, CA 90024-1596 // +1 (213) 825-5683
   "I never lie when I've got sand in my shoes, Commodore."

wales@valeria.cs.ucla.edu (Rich Wales) (01/11/90)

In article <30666@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> I wrote:

	Can anyone offer recommendations for a reasonably priced color
	monitor and 8-bit-bus VGA card?  Is there any way I can get
	away with something acceptable for a total price (monitor +
	card) of under $400?  If not, then how about under $500?

Based on the initial feedback I've received (suggestions that I scan
magazines like Computer Shopper, and/or buy used equipment), perhaps I
should clarify a couple of points.

I was (am) hoping to hear from people who have actual experience with
specific monitors and/or cards.  I am leery of the idea of simply going
to a magazine like Computer Shopper and picking some mail-order outfit
with a one-liner like "VGA: $XXX" in their ad.  I've heard people say
that not all "VGA" cards are created equal (e.g., some aren't even close
to being register-compatible with "real" VGA) -- and the only really
good way I can think of to avoid being stuck with a "lemon" card is to
get feedback from people based on what they have actually tried.

If my concern in this area is ill-founded (i.e., if most or all no-name
"VGA" cards being sold these days really *are* OK after all), then I'm
certainly open to being told I have nothing to worry about and can
safely shop for the lowest price.  But I do confess to some (hopefully
healthy) skepticism on this point.

Also, I'm willing to consider the idea of buying used equipment -- but
again, I would prefer to hear from someone who has actually used a given
make of card or monitor before I buy it (new or used).

poffen@chomolungma (Russ Poffenberger) (01/11/90)

In article <30666@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> wales@CS.UCLA.EDU (Rich Wales) writes:
>I have a "baby-AT" clone -- 8-MHz 286 CPU, XT (8-bit) bus -- with a
>monochrome monitor and a Hercules-clone video card.
>
>I would like to upgrade to some kind of color video system, but simply
>do not have the money available at this time to spend on a high-end
>multisync monitor and 1024x768 super-VGA card.  Neither am I prepared
>right now to upgrade the system as a whole to a "full-AT" clone with a
>16-bit bus.
>
>Can anyone offer recommendations for a reasonably priced color monitor
>and 8-bit-bus VGA card?  Is there any way I can get away with something
>acceptable for a total price (monitor + card) of under $400?  If not,
>then how about under $500?
>

>I am prepared to accept less than blinding speed (as I said, I accept
>the fact that I'm stuck with an 8-bit XT bus).  I'm also prepared to
>accept the limitations of a monitor that is not "top of the line".  In
>short, I know I can't afford a Rolls-Royce color video system right now
>-- or even a BMW or Mercedes-Benz system -- so I'm willing to go with a
>VW or Toyota system if I can find one.

I have seen lots of good deals on cheap VGA systems. Personally I went
for an in-between system consisting of a Video-7 Fastwrite VGA and a Panasonic
PanaSync C1391 monitor. Total cost was about $650.

If  you plan to go the cheap route be very careful about buying a system
(especially a monitor) that you haven't seen running. I have seen lots of
these cheap monitors that have serious problems with focus, convergence,
pincushioning (where the sides bow), and other problems.

If it means you have to buy from a local store and pay a little more, you
should do it. You could also scope out monitors at a local store, then order
the same thing mail-order if you can find it cheaper.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110
(408)437-5254