[comp.sys.ibm.pc] EGA Programming

benderly@cs.columbia.edu (Dan Benderly) (01/09/90)

Does anyone know where I can get detailed information for programming
an EGA card?

Thanks!

Dan

benderly@cs.columbia.edu

tcm@srhqla.SR.COM (Tim Meighan) (01/11/90)

In article <594@cs.columbia.edu> benderly@cs.columbia.edu
(Dan Benderly) writes:

>Does anyone know where I can get detailed information for programming
>an EGA card?

I highly recommend the book POWER GRAPHICS PROGRAMMING, published by Que and
available at many bookstores.  (I think the author is Mark Abrush -- I don't
don't remember off the top of my head.)  This book starts at square one and
includes detailed descriptions of the hardware of the EGA and VGA interfaces,
which you need to have a good handle on to program these cards properly.

There are typos here and there and an occasional fractured sentence in this
book, but by and large the subject matter is quite clearly stated.

Fair warning: this book is not light reading.  It concentrates on high-speed
assembly language routines to program the EGA/VGA interfaces.  If you are
looking for information using a higher level language, this book is NOT it.

Tim Meighan
SilentRadio