[comp.sys.ibm.pc] HELP! Mitsubishi HD dead ?!?

huopio@kannel.lut.fi (Kauto Huopio) (01/10/90)

Mu friend bought a BEAR 386 with a Mitsinbishi MR535-U00 drive and
DTC RLL 1:1 controller..

Now: Are these settings right for the drive?

Cylinders 980 Heads 5 Precomp 0 Landing zone 981 Sect/trk 26

When low-level formatted with these values the DEBUG formatting prg
finds the disk full of bad tracks.. HELP please..

--Kauto

--
****************** Kauto Huopio (huopio@kannel.lut.fi) **********************
*US Mail: Kauto Huopio, Punkkerikatu 1 A 10, SF-53850 Lappeenranta, Finland *

JLI@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (01/10/90)

In article <HUOPIO.90Jan9224649@kannel.lut.fi>, huopio@kannel.lut.fi (Kauto Huopio) writes:
> Mu friend bought a BEAR 386 with a Mitsinbishi MR535-U00 drive and
> DTC RLL 1:1 controller..
>
> Now: Are these settings right for the drive?
>
> Cylinders 980 Heads 5 Precomp 0 Landing zone 981 Sect/trk 26

  We were using DTC-7287 RLL 1:1 controllers with MR535-U00 drives
a lot, but our settings were:

  Cyl. 977 Hd. 5 Precomp None Landing Zone 976 Sect/Trk 26

They are working fine if we are not using Xenix 386 operating
system.  For Xenix, we chose:

  Cyl. 977 Hd. 5 Precomp 300 Landing zone 976 Sect/Trk 26

For some reason, which we haven't bother to figure out, selecting
precomp 0 or None will cause system divide overflow when installing
Xenix.

  In general MR535-U00 is very reliable drive.  We have installed
a few hundred of them last year and have only seen 3 malfunction
ones.  However, the DTC controller is relatively unreliable, and
the defective rate is a little too high (relatively speeking).

dougm@palomar.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Doug Marshall) (01/11/90)

Apologies for posting rather than e-mailing. I've included the entire file
that came back to me when I tried to 'R'eply to you directly.

****************************** CUT HERE *************************************
From ncr-sd!ncrlnk!relay.cs.net!tut.fi!MAILER-DAEMON Wed Jan 10 03:55 pdt 1990
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 90 05:29:34 +0200
From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON@tut.fi>
Subject: Returned mail: Service unavailable
To: dougm@palomar.sandiego.ncr.com
MMDF-Warning:  Parse error in original version of preceding line at RELAY.CS.NET

Connected to [128.214.1.1]:
<<< 554 <huopio@kannel>... Host kannel not known
554 <kannel!huopio@tut.uucp>... Service unavailable

>Mu friend bought a BEAR 386 with a Mitsinbishi MR535-U00 drive and
>DTC RLL 1:1 controller..
>
>Now: Are these settings right for the drive?
>
>Cylinders 980 Heads 5 Precomp 0 Landing zone 981 Sect/trk 26

I don't think so. I have the same drive and the CMOS BIOS reports that I have
it defined as having 977 cylinders, 5 heads, Precomp 300, Landing zone 978 and
17 sectors per track. I did not low level format the drive myself. It was
done by the technician where I bought it. I also have the same controller as
your friend. I'm running my controller/drive in a 12MHz '286. I am also using
RLL 1:1 as is your friend. Hope this helps.

Cheers!
  -- Doug

--
----
Doug Marshall   <Doug.Marshall@SanDiego.NCR.COM>  * My humble opinions and

----

dgs@swdev.Waterloo.NCR.COM (David G. Schwartz) (01/11/90)

In article <HUOPIO.90Jan9224649@kannel.lut.fi> huopio@kannel.lut.fi (Kauto Huopio) writes:
>Mu friend bought a BEAR 386 with a Mitsinbishi MR535-U00 drive and
>DTC RLL 1:1 controller..
>Now: Are these settings right for the drive?
>Cylinders 980 Heads 5 Precomp 0 Landing zone 981 Sect/trk 26
>When low-level formatted with these values the DEBUG formatting prg
>finds the disk full of bad tracks.. HELP please..
>
>****************** Kauto Huopio (huopio@kannel.lut.fi) **********************
>*US Mail: Kauto Huopio, Punkkerikatu 1 A 10, SF-53850 Lappeenranta, Finland *
>*Project: Learn some GNU Emacs first.. :-)                                  *

I think I can reply to this - I have a Mitsu MR535U and a DTC 7287 1:1 RLL
controller.

My BIOS setup (AMI 386 BIOS) is:
type 17, cyln 977, heads 5, Wcom 300, Lzone 977, Sec 17, Size 41 MB.

The DTC ROMS take care of remapping into RLL format when you boot.

The DTC CMOS on-board configuration (using DEBUG and "g=c800:5") adds:
"CTRL=00" and "SECTOR/TRK=26"
Note there is no size specified in the DTC setup.

Under DOS 3.30, this gives me 2 partitions of 32Mb and 29.5Mb.

Any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.
--
Remember: Net.advice is usually worth what you pay for it.
  UUCP:  {world}!uunet!ncrlnk!ncrwat!dgs         VOICE: (519) 884-1710 x581