[comp.sys.ibm.pc] What Duty/Taxes on Computers from US into Canada?

riml@softart.UUCP (Research in Motion Limited) (01/11/90)

Looking for experience:
Has someone imported a PC from the US into Canada recently?
What taxes or duties were imposed?  We want to spec. out some
systems and compare US vs. Canada pricing fairly.  Also, what
were you charged for shipping?

Information about the company, what problems or successes you
had would be appreciated.

We currently lust after Gateway 2000 systems (prices are unreal!).

Thank you for your help.  A summary will be posted, assuming I learn
anything about this subject.

Michael A. Barnstijn
V.P. Software Systems		USENET: ...!uunet!watmath!softart!riml
Research In Motion Limited	PHONE:  (519) 888-7465
Suite 6, 465 Phillip Street, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada  N2L 6C7
My opinions sometimes reflect my company's opinions, and sometimes not.
It depends on how many shares I have at the time :-)

victor@sherlock.cs.concordia.ca (Victor Krawczuk) (01/12/90)

In article <62@softart.UUCP> riml@softart.UUCP (Research in Motion Limited) writes:
>Looking for experience:
>Has someone imported a PC from the US into Canada recently?
>What taxes or duties were imposed?  We want to spec. out some
>systems and compare US vs. Canada pricing fairly.  Also, what
>were you charged for shipping?

   The basic tax is 13.5%.  Shipping to Canada is typically $50-90
above what they charge to points in the USA.  Oh, yeah, if the
computer is not made in the USA, an additional tax is added on
(eg. made in Japan, add 3.9%).

>Information about the company, what problems or successes you
>had would be appreciated.

   Generally, the computer arrives with some pieces not functioning.
Typically, this can be the HD, monitor, or the power supply.  Again,
a replacement part is sent out immediately.  Unfortunately, this is
where the fun begins sometimes.  One person I know has had a nightmare
with a particular company in that wrong replacement parts are often
sent (in-home contract service is generally not provided in Canada).

   What really compounds the latter problem is that if the company
cannot fill out customs papers properly, Customs Canada will charge
you DUTY!!!   This has happened to someone I know.  The company in
question is Northgate.

>We currently lust after Gateway 2000 systems (prices are unreal!).

    I'm not an authority, but as far as I can tell, American
customers are generally happy with them, after ironing out initial
bugs.  Keep in mind that American customers have a toll-free number
at their disposal, an in-home service contract service provided by
a company called TRW, and no international borders to cross.  All
of these three features are NOT available to Canadian customers.