[comp.sys.ibm.pc] My infrared keyboard died!

mark@intek01.UUCP (Mark McWiggins) (01/08/90)

I've been using a Cherry infrared keyboard with my TV/monitor for the past
three years or so, and the other night it hiccupped and went dead.  I'm
pretty sure that Cherry discontinued them.  Anybody know of any other
cordless XT keyboard options?  I really don't want to be stuck with a 20-foot
keyboard cord if I can help it.  I'm spoiled rotten!

Thanks in advance.

--
Mark McWiggins			Integration Technologies, Inc. (Intek)
+1 206 455 9935			DISCLAIMER:  I could be wrong ...

emmo@moncam.co.uk (Dave Emmerson) (01/12/90)

In article <265@intek01.UUCP>, mark@intek01.UUCP (Mark McWiggins) writes:
> I've been using a Cherry infrared keyboard with my TV/monitor for the past
> three years or so, and the other night it hiccupped and went dead.  I'm
> [deleted]

Have you tried replacing the Infra-Red LEDs?
They were the most common failure in TV remote controls, usually
because they're driven close to their limit (or even beyond), to
give the maximum range.
Most popular types sell for around a pound (1.5 USD?), and you'll
only need three at the most. They're easy to replace, so long as
you get them the right way round, and at that price it must be worth
trying, even in this throwaway society.

Dave E.