[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Ventura Publisher Problems

mregeste@ncrwic.Wichita.NCR.COM (Mark Regester) (01/09/90)

I am having some problems with Ventrua Publisher 2.0 and was wondering
if anyone has come across this situation.

The software is installed on an NCR PC 8 (AT compatible), 640K, 30MB
hard disk running DOS 3.3.  Also installed is a Microsoft Mouse, AST
Rampage Plus 286 with 512K installed and a 3COM 3C501 ethernet adapter.
The network software installed is PC File Server.  The monitor and
graphics card is a MDS Genius VHR Display, model VHR 400T MON.

The problem is that with the expanded memory manager installed, himem.sys
installed, and network software loaded Ventura "hangs".  If the expanded
memory manager is not installed, Ventura loads, but it reports "internal
error 0019" several times and then reports "not enough memory".  If
himem.sys and EMM are loaded with no network software, then Ventura loads
and runs with no problems.

On this PC, Ventura would not load with the network software installed.
It would report the "internal error and not enough memory" messages
described above.  The AST board was added to provide additional memory
through himem.sys and expanded memory which Ventura support.

The AST board, it's EMM, and network software have been installed in
other PC's and they appear to coexist but, they don't use Ventura or the
Genius monitor.

I have looked at the memory addresses used by each of the boards and I
did not see any overlap.

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

--
Mark Regester Information Systems & Services, NCR Peripheral Products Division
 NCR:654-8340 <M.Regester@Wichita.NCR.COM>

jwi@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) (01/12/90)

Mark Regester writes:

> On this PC, Ventura would not load with the network software installed.
> It would report the "internal error and not enough memory" messages
> described above.  The AST board was added to provide additional memory
> through himem.sys and expanded memory which Ventura support.

There is a special version of Ventura for use on networks (with a special
license fee). I suspect that the regular version of Ventura won't work
when network software is installed for one of two reasons:

1.	It looks for network software and quits.

2.	The network version takes less memory -- Ventura has major problems
	running when it can't get enough memory in the first 640K, even if
	you have expanded available.

Happy publishing,

Jim Winer -- Post, don't email, I usually can't reply.
opinions not necessarily |  "Why on earth would we want a human intelligence
and do not represent     |  living in circuitry?
any other sane person    |  We can already mass produce human intelligence
especially not employer. |  with unskilled labor