[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Tandon Drive Specifications

ehm@raider.MFEE.TN.US (Erik H. Moe) (01/08/90)

	I need the parameters (number of cylinders, heads, etc.) for
a Tandon model TM703AT hard disk. I kind of have an idea that it has
703 cylinders, hence the "TM703AT", but I'm not sure. Also, I know
nothing about my hard disk controller. It supports two hard disk drives
and two floppy drives. The only "identification" is a WA-5 silkscreened
on the board itself. Several of the chips are stamped (c)WDC'85 (Western
Digital ?). Any information would be appreciated.

					Erik H. Moe
					ehm@raider.mfee.tn.us

nfs0294@dsac.dla.mil (Glendell R. Midkiff) (01/08/90)

From article <167@raider.MFEE.TN.US>, by ehm@raider.MFEE.TN.US (Erik H. Moe):
> 	I need the parameters (number of cylinders, heads, etc.) for
> a Tandon model TM703AT hard disk.

According to my drive table documentation which I downloaded from a local
BBS, the Tandon Model TM703 (no AT listed), is a 10meg, 733 cyl, 5 head
drive, 17 sectors per track, RWC 734, WPC 734, MFM format.  It appears that
there must be an error in the capacity figure because 733 cyl, 5 heads,
17 sectors per track certainly adds up to more than 10meg!

 |Glen Midkiff   osu-cis!dsacg1!gmidkiff                                 |
 |From the Internet: gmidkiff@dsac.dla.mil                               |
 |Phone: (614)-238-9643 @DLA, Systems Automation Center, Columbus, Oh.   |

jb@aablue.UUCP (John B Scalia) (01/12/90)

Sorry for the bandwidth, I tried to email but it bounced:

In article <1633@dsac.dla.mil>nfs0294@dsac.dla.mil (Glendell R. Midkiff) writes:
>From article <167@raider.MFEE.TN.US>, by ehm@raider.MFEE.TN.US (Erik H. Moe):
>> 	I need the parameters (number of cylinders, heads, etc.) for
>> a Tandon model TM703AT hard disk.
>
>According to my drive table documentation which I downloaded from a local
>BBS, the Tandon Model TM703 (no AT listed), is a 10meg, 733 cyl, 5 head
>drive, 17 sectors per track, RWC 734, WPC 734, MFM format.  It appears that
>--

Hi, I'm somewhat familiar with the TM703 as I just robbed one out of old
Xerox 6085 workstation to use as my minix drive. It's basically a 30mb
drive with 694 cylinders and 5 heads (if I remember correctly.) Unfortunately
I don't have any info about Write-Precomp, etc. However, using defaults
with my Everex PC, I just changed the cylinder & head count in Everex's
disk utilities and it formated and verified with no problem.

--
A A Blueprint Co., Inc. - Akron, Ohio +1 216 794-8803 voice
UUCP:	   {uunet!}aablue!jb	(John B. Scalia)

Just a little more nonsense to clutter up the net.