[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Telix

jwbirdsa@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (James Webster Birdsall) (01/11/89)

It seems to be OK but it can't handle 8N1! Or, rather, it can handle 8N1
but you have to leave the setting as 7E1 or get garbage on the screen.
I have called known 8N1 numbers and used zmodem (which requires 8-bit
connection) and gotten a valid file, but I had to leave Telix set at
7E1.
   Other than that, Telix seems OK, if a bit over-featured.

! James W. Birdsall               Compu$erve:  71261,1731              !
! jwbirdsa@phoenix.Princeton.EDU  jwbirdsa@bogey.Princeton.EDU         !
! jwbirdsa@pucc.BITNET            ...allegra!princeton!phoenix!jwbirdsa!
!  During emergency landing, replace dinner tray and bring seat to     !
!  upright position. Extinuish all smoking materials... including      !
!  spacecraft, if possible.  --Calvin                                  !

mms%sordid@Sun.COM (Michael Silverstein) (01/11/89)

In article <5269@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> jwbirdsa@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (James Webster Birdsall) writes:
>*>
>*> It seems to be OK but it can't handle 8N1! Or, rather, it can handle 8N1
>*> but you have to leave the setting as 7E1 or get garbage on the screen.
>*> I have called known 8N1 numbers and used zmodem (which requires 8-bit
>*> connection) and gotten a valid file, but I had to leave Telix set at
>*> 7E1.
>*>    Other than that, Telix seems OK, if a bit over-featured.

I found the same thing! I started using Telix, & it seemed that
some sites had switched to 7E1. Something's a bit strange, however;
BBS's running RBBS are still accessible with 8N1.

Another minor possible complaint: The Kermit options don't include
block check level 3 (CRC). So file transfers are done with single
byte check sums.

Overall, I agree. Telix is pretty good. Have you noticed that it
owes alot to Qmodem? It has similar features, key definitions, and
"look and feel"

*-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-*-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=*
|    /\/\ike Silverstein    | This can't be deja vous. Things are more like  |
| sun!mms -or- mms@sun.com  |  they are now, than they've ever been before!  |
*-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-*-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=*

dmurdoch@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (D.J. Murdoch - Statistics) (01/11/89)

In article <5269@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> jwbirdsa@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (James Webster Birdsall) writes:

>It seems to be OK but it can't handle 8N1! Or, rather, it can handle 8N1
>but you have to leave the setting as 7E1 or get garbage on the screen.

It sounds like your host is transmitting in even parity.  If you want to receive
even parity but transmit no parity, you can set it to 8N1 but ask it to strip
the high bit of incoming data, in the Terminal Options menu.

Duncan Murdoch

tbetz@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Betz) (01/12/89)

Quoth mms@sun.UUCP (Michael Silverstein) in <84649@sun.uucp>:
|In article <5269@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> James Webster Birdsall writes:
|>*> It seems to be OK but it can't handle 8N1! Or, rather, it can handle 8N1
|>*> but you have to leave the setting as 7E1 or get garbage on the screen.

This is news to me!  What version are you using?  I have no problem with 8N1,
have been using Telix from 3.0 to the current 3.11.  Do you have your dialing
directory entry set up correctly?

|I found the same thing! I started using Telix, & it seemed that
|some sites had switched to 7E1. Something's a bit strange, however;
|BBS's running RBBS are still accessible with 8N1.

I use some SCO Xenix 2.3.1 systems with the new %#$*@%$#%@ getty
that require 8N1, and have had no such trouble.
Or anywhere else, for that matter.

|Another minor possible complaint: The Kermit options don't include
|block check level 3 (CRC). So file transfers are done with single
|byte check sums.

Colin Sampaleanu makes no bones that he has incorporated an old version
of Kermit, and that people who want more advanced features should install
an external version.  He may implement the advanced features in the next
major release... and has stated that he will implement all the advanced
features of the latest Zmodem-DSZ releases.

|Overall, I agree. Telix is pretty good. Have you noticed that it
|owes alot to Qmodem? It has similar features, key definitions, and
|"look and feel"

As does Procomm+...  if a user interface works, why change it?
I've tried all the shareware packages out there, and have settled on
Telix as the best balance of power and ease of use... the SALT language
alone makes it more powerful than anything out there.

It's pretty good, but what software is perfect?

--
"Big Bob says he's getting tired of you saying he |"Do you think God lets
 doesn't really exist."  - Fat Little Nerdy Kid - | you plea bargain?"

bkbarret@sactoh0.UUCP (Brent K. Barrett) (01/12/89)

In article <5269@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, jwbirdsa@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (James Webster Birdsall) writes:

> It seems to be OK but it can't handle 8N1! Or, rather, it can handle 8N1
> but you have to leave the setting as 7E1 or get garbage on the screen.
> I have called known 8N1 numbers and used zmodem (which requires 8-bit
> connection) and gotten a valid file, but I had to leave Telix set at
> 7E1.

  *FLAME*  Excuse me? I call about 10 local BBSs at 8N1 using Telix
3.11 and have had absolutely no side effects? I think you should
look at your hardware and all other possible answers before
assuming the software is at fault. In addition, read all the
manuals, since you might have missed something (I'm not saying you
didn't read them, but am just reminding others to do so). *FLAME
OFF*

 Now. Nice to meet you. :)

--
 "Somebody help me! I'm trapped in this computer!"

 Brent Barrett ..pacbell!sactoh0!bkbarret GEMAIL: B.K.BARRETT

johnm@trsvax.UUCP (01/13/89)

I've had no problems at all with using 8N1 under Telix v3.11.  Are you using
the latest version?

John Munsch

thaler@speedy.cs.wisc.edu (Maurice Thaler) (01/16/89)

Sorry, to say that TELIX owes anything to "QMODEM" or John Friel is an
insult to TELIX. QMODEM is single-handedly responsible for the wide
spread mis-usage of incorrect names of protocols. Qmodem took years to
figure out XMODEM-CRC, called XMODEM-1K  "YMODEM", called XMDODEM-1K-G,
"YMODEM-G", and added insipid protocols like "IMODEM" (idiot modem?). To
further the mess, Clark Development followed QMODEM's bogus standards in
their PC-BOARD software thereby really messing up peoples heads.
We are very lucky that Chuck Forsberg's DSZ is of such high quality,
that slowly but surely, and purely by USERS' demands, ZMODEM has become
the defacto standard on good BBS's  thereby rendering mutant, misnamed
protocols in the dust.
As a SYSOP of two BBS's, I can only say that QMODEM and John Friel did
not perform any public services.

P.S. When I first tried QMODEM several years ago, I tried its protocols,
found them brain-damaged, called up Friel's BBS and left him a polite
message hinting that he should read XYMODEM.DOC which I uploaded there.
He obviously ignored both my message and Chuck Forsberg's excellent
Rossetta Stone Document.

Maurice Thaler   SYSOP  Audio Projects BBS (608) 836-9473
                 SYSOP  Power Board    BBS (608) 222-8842

mms%sordid@Sun.COM (Michael Silverstein) (01/16/89)

In article <7021@spool.cs.wisc.edu> thaler@speedy.cs.wisc.edu (Maurice Thaler) writes:
>*>
>*> Sorry, to say that TELIX owes anything to "QMODEM" or John Friel is an
>*> insult to TELIX. QMODEM is single-handedly responsible for the wide
>*> spread mis-usage of incorrect names of protocols.  ........

A bit overstated, don't you think. Qmodem is a fine program which enabled
many of us to communicate with BBS's easily and conveniently. Many of its
features can be found in Telix and other comm programs (at least at the
user interface if not internally). Qmodem built on PC-talk, which built
on Modem4, Modem7, etc. Naturally, each new effort takes up where the last
one left off.

Incidently, I still find that some (not all) sites that are accessible
with 8N1 with Qmodem or Kermit, require 7E1 with Telix. Not a problem,
just a curiosity.

*-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-*-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=*
|    /\/\ike Silverstein    |  This can't be deja vu. Things are more like   |
| sun!mms -or- mms@sun.com  |  they are now, than they've ever been before!  |
*-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-*-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=*

woan@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Ronald S. Woan) (01/21/89)

	I am interested in compiling a listing of reasons to use the various
communication programs out there.  Currently, I am using PROCOMM PLUS and
PIBTERM, but I have just downloaded TELIX and started to look at it.  What
strikes me immediately is that there are no apparent host modes and a script
learn mode.  A good point is that it takes less memory than the two programs
that I use currently. Since built-in zmodem is not a real concern of mine, is
there any reason to switch?  Also, I would like opinions about the popular
commercial programs as well (Mirror, Crosstalk, etc..).

						Ron Woan

|  "This whole right brain, left brain thing is just a plot on the part        |
|   of the humanities depart. to excuse their never having learned any science"|
|   Roger Dell, Prof. of Mathematics                                           |
|                                        Ronald Woan, woan@cory.berkeley.edu   |

skeeve@mhuxu.UUCP (Chris Riley) (01/24/89)

In article <8979@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> woan@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Ronald S. Woan) writes:
>             I have just downloaded TELIX and started to look at it.  What
>strikes me immediately is that there are no apparent host modes and a script
>learn mode.
>
>Ronald Woan, woan@cory.berkeley.edu

Telix does indeed have a host mode.  The binaries archive should have two
files called host.slc and hconfig.slc.  Hconfig asks you what passwords you
want to use in host mode, and host.slc is what you run to start host mode.
If you look in the docuentation archives, you will find the source code for
these scripts.  That's what I really like.  I don't like the host mode they
send you, but am writing my own based on it that is more like procomm's.
The script language is very powerful, and has pretty good documentation.
The documentation archives are called tlx310-2.arc for the main telix
rogram, and tlx310-3.arc for the salt script language.  The reason they
aren't named tlx311-?.arc is that the documentation hasn't changed from
version 3.10 to 3.11.

--
                    Chris Riley     My mind isn't always in the gutter
           skeeve@mhuxu.att.com     -- sometimes it comes out to feed.

allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (01/28/89)

As quoted from <8979@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> by woan@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Ronald S. Woan):
+---------------
| 	I am interested in compiling a listing of reasons to use the various
| communication programs out there.  Currently, I am using PROCOMM PLUS and
| PIBTERM, but I have just downloaded TELIX and started to look at it.  What
| strikes me immediately is that there are no apparent host modes and a script
| learn mode.  A good point is that it takes less memory than the two programs
+---------------

Script learn mode is a bit difficult to implement with Telix-style scripts.
The scripts are compiled.  (Of course, Red Ryder on the Mac manages to
"learn" compiled scripts, so it isn't impossible.)

Telix's script language looks a lot like C.  It's also extremely powerful,
for a script language; the host mode you're looking for is in the script
HOST.SLT.  In fact, you can modify the script to make host mode work the way
you want it to (try THAT with Procomm!).  A separate script (HCONFIG.SLT)
allows you to configure various host mode parameters, and can also be
modified to e.g. add new configuration options for your modified HOST.

I'm just a fairly satisfied user....

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@ncoast.org
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu

pa1022@sdcc15.ucsd.edu (pa1022) (01/29/89)

As Brandon said, Telix comes with a host mode written in its
extensive "C"-like script language.
From somebody else who is not associated (so far as i know) with the
author of telix, there is a script program called AUTO-GEN that
tries to implement a learn script function.  It's kind of hoaky and
really slow, but it works.  If you can't find it and want it, I'll
mail it to you.

--
Eric Hedstrom             GEnie: G.HEDSTROM       USnail: P.O. Box 4563
Internet: pa1022%iugrad2@ucsd.edu                         La Jolla, CA 92037

         "I drive my car quietly, for it goes without saying."

ferris@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Richard T. Ferris) (01/12/90)

Has anyone cooked up a nice Telix key file for dialing into
an IBM mainframe?  Procomm has a nice mode called 3270/950
which reprograms the function keys, + key, backspace and
insert keys, etc.

Thanks.

RF

Richard T. Ferris
ferris@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
University of Pennsylvania

keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu (John W. Keating) (01/12/90)

In article <18921@netnews.upenn.edu> ferris@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Richard T. Ferris) writes:
>Has anyone cooked up a nice Telix key file for dialing into
>an IBM mainframe?  Procomm has a nice mode called 3270/950
>which reprograms the function keys, + key, backspace and
>insert keys, etc.

If so, could you either post it, or send me a copy of it?

Thanks in advance.....
* Internet: keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu * /==     Tulane           *          *
* Usenet:   ...!pyramid!rex!keating   *   ====      Green        * John     *
* Bitnet:   cs6hecu@tcsvm             *    ======       Wave!!   *  Keating *
* CIS:      Hmmm...  cantremember...  *   ===========            *          *

aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Sriram Ramkrishna) (01/13/90)

In article <1795@rex.cs.tulane.edu> keating@rex.UUCP (John W. Keating) writes:
>>Has anyone cooked up a nice Telix key file for dialing into
>>an IBM mainframe?  Procomm has a nice mode called 3270/950
>
>If so, could you either post it, or send me a copy of it?

I would like have a copy also...

	Sri