[comp.sys.ibm.pc] can I put four floppies in an AT clone

GOLDSTN@MAINE.BITNET (Michael E. Goldstein) (12/29/89)

Is there a way to have three or four floppy drives
in my 12mhz AT clone.  Currently I have a WD Hard/Floppy
16 bit MFM controller which has the following attached to
it.

1 - St251-1 Seagate 40 Meg Harddrive
1 - 360K 5-1/4" Floppy drive
1 - 1.44 Meg 3.5" FLoppy Drive

I'd like to add a 5-1/4" 1.2 meg drive to this setup
so that users can use this machine to transfer files
back and forth between the different standard floppy
size's.  Could I accomplish this by replacing the
5-1/4" 360K drive with a 1.2 meg drive that would
read and write both 1.2meg and 360K 5-1/4" floppies?
Would 360K floppies written from the 1.2 meg drive be
read and writable on a standard 360K drive in another
PC?

Any help will be appreciated.

Mike Goldstein
University of Maine at Presque Isle
goldstn@maine.maine.edu
goldstn@maine.bitnet
UUNET!goldstn@maine.maine.edu

In article <GOLDSTN.89362204630@MAINE.BITNET> GOLDSTN@MAINE.BITNET (Michael E. Goldstein) writes:
| Is there a way to have three or four floppy drives
| in my 12mhz AT clone.

  Western Digital makes hard disk only controllers and four drive floppy
controllers. You need to use DRIVER.SYS for DOS.
--
	bill davidsen - sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX
davidsen@sixhub.uucp		...!uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen

"Getting old is bad, but it beats the hell out of the alternative" -anon

emmo@moncam.co.uk (Dave Emmerson) (01/03/90)

In article <GOLDSTN.89362204630@MAINE.BITNET+, GOLDSTN@MAINE.BITNET (Michael E. Goldstein) writes:
+ Is there a way to have three or four floppy drives
+ in my 12mhz AT clone.
+ [deleted]
+ Would 360K floppies written from the 1.2 meg drive be
+ read and writable on a standard 360K drive in another
+ PC?

It is possible, but only with the right set of boards. Don't ask me which
ones, it's a while since I did it.

You'll have some problems with moving disks between high density and
standard (double) density drives. DD disks can be read on HD drives, but
writing as 360K on the HD drive sometimes produces disks which can't be
read reliably (if at all in some cases) on a DD drive. Few DD drives can
successfully format HD disks even as 360K. Best to use the right disk in
the right drive, which was what you wanted to do anyway.

If your machine is like mine, and checks the floppy types every time you
boot, you could try using a couple of two pole changeover switches to
selectively enable/disable any combination. I've done that here at work,
but you'll need your own local hardware guru, there are too many variables
to give a general methodology on the net - sorry, I would if I could.

If you really want to do it, be prepared for some late nights.

Dave E.

ted@helios.ucsc.edu (Ted Cantrall) (01/03/90)

In article <GOLDSTN.89362204630@MAINE.BITNET> GOLDSTN@MAINE.BITNET (Michael E. Goldstein) writes:
>Would 360K floppies written from the 1.2 meg drive be
>read and writable on a standard 360K drive in another
>PC?
>Mike Goldstein
The 1.2 meg drive writes a narrower, lower density track than a 360k.
The 360k drive has a *real* hard time trying to read disks written
on a 1.2 meg drive. (Read: don't do it!)
The fatter, higher density tracks of a 360k work fine on a 1.2 meg, though.
PS: When I say higher or lower density, I refer to the magnetic field
strength, not information density.
			-ted-
ted@helios.ucsc.edu         | "The opinions are mine...
(408)459-2110               |    ...the facts are public domain."

steve@wintermute.ucsd.edu ({Darkavich}) (01/04/90)

We have had success here with a board by AMS that does four floppy and 2
hard drives for an AT.  It cost here about $145 dollars.  Don't let the
dealers tell you that there is no such thing because we are using one as I
speak.

Steve misrack
smisrack@ucsd.edu

ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) (01/04/90)

In article <10767@ucsd.Edu>, steve@wintermute.ucsd.edu ({Darkavich}) writes:

> We have had success here with a board by AMS that does four floppy and 2
> hard drives for an AT.  It cost here about $145 dollars.  Don't let the
> dealers tell you that there is no such thing because we are using one as I
> speak.

I've just gone through a whole Computer Shopper, cover-to-cover.  My primary
search was for a low-cost 8-Mhz 80287 ($159), but my secondary search was for
a simple floppy controller card.  A decent find turns out to be an NCL card,
for the AT.  Two floppies on the card, for $45. This comes from Gems Computers.

Also, memory boards:  Everex RAM-3000 (3MB) for $95, RAM-10000 (10MB) for $145.
Does anyone have the Everex boards?  Are they LIM 4.0 compatible?

--
Eric Sheppard      Georgia Tech    |  "Of course the US Constitution isn't
Atlanta, GA                        | perfect; but it's a lot better than what

jec@nesac2.att.com (John Carter ATLN SADM) (01/04/90)

In article <10152@saturn.ucsc.edu>, ted@helios.ucsc.edu (Ted Cantrall) writes:
] In article <GOLDSTN.89362204630@MAINE.BITNET> GOLDSTN@MAINE.BITNET (Michael E. Goldstein) writes:
] ]Would 360K floppies written from the 1.2 meg drive be
] ]read and writable on a standard 360K drive in another
] ]PC?
] ]Mike Goldstein
] The 1.2 meg drive writes a narrower, lower density track than a 360k.
] The 360k drive has a *real* hard time trying to read disks written
] on a 1.2 meg drive. (Read: don't do it!)
                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sorry, but I can't agree with this ^^^^^^.

I've been developing in-house software on an AT class machine for over a year.
I distribute that software on 360K floppies which are INITAILLY FORMATTED and
written in the 1.2 meg drive.                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My users have an assortment of machines (several flavors of AT&T, plus Compaq
and AST, some with 360k and some with 1.2meg floppies) and I have had no
problems with the distribution disks.

Please note that the most frequent source of problems is swapping 360K floppies
BETWEEN 1.2meg and 360k drives.  The problems occur when:

   Floppy is written to in a 360k drive, then written to in a 1.2meg drive.
   The narrower 1.2meg head writes "down the middle" of the track on the
   360k drive, leaving a magnetic spaghetti which may (or may not) be readable
   on the 1.2meg drive but probably won't be readable on the 360k drive.

360k floppy rules to live by:

1) format in 360K, write in 360k, read in either

2) format in 1.2meg, write in 1.2meg, read in either

3) format in either, write in 360k, read in either

4) format in 360k, write in 1.2meg, toss a coin

5) format in either, write in 360k then write in 1.2meg, bulkerase & reformat

This has worked reliably for me.

Flames to /dev/null or NUL or NUL or the bit bucket or the chad cup.
                                                           ^^^^^^^^
What?  You don't know what chad is?  You never wrote endless loop tapes for
repetitive operations on a TeleType Model 35?  Poor child!  How meager your
education has been :-(
--
USnail: John Carter, AT&T, 401 W. Peachtree, FLOC 2932-6, Atlanta GA 30308
Video:	...att!nesac2!jec   ...attmail!jecarter    Voice: 404+581-6239

mlord@bmers58.UUCP (Mark Lord) (01/04/90)

In article <4597@hydra.gatech.EDU> ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) writes:
>Also, memory boards:  Everex RAM-3000 (3MB) for $95, RAM-10000 (10MB) for $145.
>Does anyone have the Everex boards?  Are they LIM 4.0 compatible?

I once had an Everex RAM-3000 board.  It claimed to be LIM 4.0, but as near
as I could tell it was LIM 3.2 hardware with 4.0 software drivers.  Desqview
could not make good use of it, neither could windows 286.  The card is a great
way to add extra EXTENDED memory to a 286/386 though.. (cheap).
--
+----------------------------------------+----------------------------+
| Mark S. Lord                           | Hey, It's only MY opinion. |

ted@helios.ucsc.edu (Ted Cantrall) (01/04/90)

In article <172@nesac2.att.com> jec@nesac2.att.com (John Carter ATLN SADM) writes:
>In article <10152@saturn.ucsc.edu>, ted@helios.ucsc.edu (Ted Cantrall) writes:
>] The 1.2 meg drive writes a narrower, lower density track than a 360k.
>] The 360k drive has a *real* hard time trying to read disks written
>] on a 1.2 meg drive. (Read: don't do it!)
>                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Sorry, but I can't agree with this ^^^^^^.
>
>I've been developing in-house software on an AT class machine for over a year.
>I distribute that software on 360K floppies which are INITAILLY FORMATTED and
>written in the 1.2 meg drive.                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well, as they say, you can't  argue with success. I don't know why you can,
but I know many can't. We have tried formatting a 360k on a 1.2m, copying
files to it, then reading those file in another computer which only has a
360k drive. The 360k didn't even see it as a DOS disk. If people want to
try this, I guess I would say they should test it carefully before trusting
it.			-ted-

dick@slvblc.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) (01/05/90)

In article <4597@hydra.gatech.EDU> ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) writes:
>In article <10767@ucsd.Edu>, steve@wintermute.ucsd.edu ({Darkavich}) writes:
>Also, memory boards: Everex RAM-3000 (3MB) for $95, RAM-10000 (10MB) for $145.
>Does anyone have the Everex boards?  Are they LIM 4.0 compatible?

I have two of the Everex RAM-3000 boards.  They are EXTended memory boards,
*not* EXPanded memory boards.  LIM in any form is not supported on the board.
--
Dick Flanagan, W6OLD, CFII, CFIG             Cherokee 235 N9212W
UUCP: ...!uunet!slvblc!dick                  GEnie: FLANAGAN

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (01/06/90)

In article <88@slvblc.UUCP> dick@slvblc.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) writes:

>I have two of the Everex RAM-3000 boards.  They are EXTended memory boards,
>*not* EXPanded memory boards.  LIM in any form is not supported on the board.

This is almost true.  Although expanded memory was originally designed as
a hardware bank switching scheme, the LIM spec  allows any sort of memory
to be used as expanded.  There are many programs that allow any type of
extended memory to be used as expanded and I believe that Everex includes
one with the RAM-3000.  This is the LIM support referred to.

As a side note I once used a program which turned a disk file into LIM
expanded memory.  It was very slow of course but it was useful for developing
a program which was destined to use EMS without having to stuff the extra
memory in my development machine.  Other than speed it worked perfectly.
I think it was called Above Disc.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |   Thank goodness we don't get all
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   the government we pay for.

poffen@molehill (Russ Poffenberger) (01/06/90)

In article <1119@bmers58.UUCP> mlord@bmers58.UUCP (Mark Lord) writes:
>In article <4597@hydra.gatech.EDU> ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) writes:
>>Also, memory boards:  Everex RAM-3000 (3MB) for $95, RAM-10000 (10MB) for $145.
>>Does anyone have the Everex boards?  Are they LIM 4.0 compatible?
>
>I once had an Everex RAM-3000 board.  It claimed to be LIM 4.0, but as near
>as I could tell it was LIM 3.2 hardware with 4.0 software drivers.  Desqview
>could not make good use of it, neither could windows 286.  The card is a great
>way to add extra EXTENDED memory to a 286/386 though.. (cheap).

You are right about the RAM3000 being LIM 3.2 hardware with 4.0 LIM software
emulation. Windows 286 CAN use this type of memory, I know, I did it. I ended
up getting my money back on it though because it was incompatible with my
system, it would give errors randomly, crash the system occassionally, etc. I
ended up getting an intel AboveBoard which works great.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110
(408)437-5254

poffen@molehill (Russ Poffenberger) (01/06/90)

In article <88@slvblc.UUCP> dick@slvblc.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) writes:
>In article <4597@hydra.gatech.EDU> ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) writes:
>>In article <10767@ucsd.Edu>, steve@wintermute.ucsd.edu ({Darkavich}) writes:
>>Also, memory boards: Everex RAM-3000 (3MB) for $95, RAM-10000 (10MB) for $145.
>>Does anyone have the Everex boards?  Are they LIM 4.0 compatible?
>
>I have two of the Everex RAM-3000 boards.  They are EXTended memory boards,
>*not* EXPanded memory boards.  LIM in any form is not supported on the board.

Wrong, the Everex RAM-3000 supports LIM 3.2 in Hardware and now has a driver
to support LIM 4.0 in software. I bought one only to find that it was
incompatible with my AT clone (and at two other clones at the store where I
bought it), but when it did work (it was random errors) Windows/286 was quite
happy with it's LIM 4.0 memory.

Of all the Everex products I have (modem, I/O card, 40Meg tape, RAM-3000) the
RAM-3000 was the only one I have EVER had any trouble with.

ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) (01/06/90)

In article <88@slvblc.UUCP>, dick@slvblc.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) writes:
> >Does anyone have the Everex boards?  Are they LIM 4.0 compatible?
>
> I have two of the Everex RAM-3000 boards.  They are EXTended memory boards,
> *not* EXPanded memory boards.  LIM in any form is not supported on the board.

Thanks for the info.  I laughed at many of the ads appearing in the Shopper.
Many seem to be poor English translations, complete with misspellings of the
product names.  It's sad to see a distributor trying to promote a wide range of
products when it doesn't even know what the products do.  I can't remember the
name of one such company, but it says the Everex boards RAM-3000 and RAM-10000
both are LIM 4.0 compatible!  That may rightly be called deception, but I think
it's just ignorance.  It reminds me of the problems experienced at Radio Shack.
Salespeople there are not adequately informed about the products.  Those who are
do not stay there very long.

Eric, tinkerer-at-large

--
Eric Sheppard      Georgia Tech    |  "Of course the US Constitution isn't
Atlanta, GA                        | perfect; but it's a lot better than what
ARPA: ce1zzes@prism.gatech.edu     | we have now."
uucp: ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!ce1zzes

ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) (01/06/90)

In article <88@slvblc.UUCP>, dick@slvblc.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) writes:
> I have two of the Everex RAM-3000 boards.  They are EXTended memory boards,
> *not* EXPanded memory boards.  LIM in any form is not supported on the board.

Also, how well do they work?  I'm considering getting a few of them, but if
they don't work well with our software, I would be wasting money.  Primarily
used with Windows/286, Excel, Lotus, Word Perfect, MathCad, AutoCad, and a few
other memory-hungry applications.

Eric, tinkerer-at-large

--

poffen@molehill (Russ Poffenberger) (01/07/90)

In article <1990Jan5.171736.15733@druid.uucp> darcy@druid.UUCP (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) writes:
>In article <88@slvblc.UUCP> dick@slvblc.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) writes:
>>
>>I have two of the Everex RAM-3000 boards.  They are EXTended memory boards,
>>*not* EXPanded memory boards.  LIM in any form is not supported on the board.
>
>This is almost true.  Although expanded memory was originally designed as
>a hardware bank switching scheme, the LIM spec  allows any sort of memory
>to be used as expanded.  There are many programs that allow any type of
>extended memory to be used as expanded and I believe that Everex includes
>one with the RAM-3000.  This is the LIM support referred to.

Unfortunately you are both wrong. The Everex RAM-3000 DOES support LIM 3.2 in
hardware. It now includes a driver to support LIM 4.0 in software through a
driver.

>As a side note I once used a program which turned a disk file into LIM
>expanded memory.  It was very slow of course but it was useful for developing
>a program which was destined to use EMS without having to stuff the extra
>memory in my development machine.  Other than speed it worked perfectly.
>I think it was called Above Disc.

Be careful with these packages, even one that emulates LIM in extended are
VERY slow, we are talking at least an order of magnitude slower than *true*
hardware LIM. Also, if you are only using a package like turbo 'C' that can use
64K of expanded memory (I wish they could use more), the driver to emulate
LIM in extended memory or disk requires ~64K of conventional memory for it's
mapping tables. So if you only need 64K or less EMS, it is a loser.

In article <4635@hydra.gatech.EDU> ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) writes:
>In article <88@slvblc.UUCP>, dick@slvblc.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) writes:
>> I have two of the Everex RAM-3000 boards.  They are EXTended memory boards,
>> *not* EXPanded memory boards.  LIM in any form is not supported on the board.

As has been re-iterated here before, the RAM-3000 DOES support LIM 3.2 in
hardware, and now has a driver for LIM 4.0

>Also, how well do they work?  I'm considering getting a few of them, but if
>they don't work well with our software, I would be wasting money.  Primarily
>used with Windows/286, Excel, Lotus, Word Perfect, MathCad, AutoCad, and a few
>other memory-hungry applications.

I had trouble with a RAM-3000 in my AT clone (PCC motherboard, Phoenix BIOS).
It would give random parity errors and lock up the system. IT did this with TWO
different boards in TWO different systems (not the same model of system either)

I therefore think that there may be some incompatibilities with the RAM-3000
in some systems.

I would suggest an Intel Aboveboard.

phil@pepsi.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (01/09/90)

In article <1990Jan5.171736.15733@druid.uucp> darcy@druid.UUCP (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) writes:
|In article <88@slvblc.UUCP> dick@slvblc.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) writes:
|>
|>I have two of the Everex RAM-3000 boards.  They are EXTended memory boards,
|>*not* EXPanded memory boards.  LIM in any form is not supported on the board.
|
|This is almost true.  Although expanded memory was originally designed as
|a hardware bank switching scheme, the LIM spec  allows any sort of memory
|to be used as expanded.  There are many programs that allow any type of
|extended memory to be used as expanded and I believe that Everex includes
|one with the RAM-3000.  This is the LIM support referred to.

Well, you're wrong. I wouldn't hire you as a consultant. Think of your
image before posting garbage information.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@diablo.amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (01/10/90)

In article <28700@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@pepsi.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) writes:
>In article <1990Jan5.171736.15733@druid.uucp> darcy@druid.UUCP (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) writes:
>|
>|This is almost true.  Although expanded memory was originally designed as
>|a hardware bank switching scheme, the LIM spec  allows any sort of memory
>|to be used as expanded.  There are many programs that allow any type of
>|extended memory to be used as expanded and I believe that Everex includes
>|one with the RAM-3000.  This is the LIM support referred to.
>
>Well, you're wrong. I wouldn't hire you as a consultant. Think of your
>image before posting garbage information.
>
>--
>Phil Ngai, phil@diablo.amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil

How about instead of a personal attack you simply explain what you disagree
with in the above statement.  I have installed a number of Everex boards
with expanded memory emulators and they have worked as I have described.

Maybe you should work on your own abrasive image before you post.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |   Thank goodness we don't get all
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   the government we pay for.
West Hill, Ontario, Canada         |
No disclaimers.  I agree with me   |

dwight@f1.n515.z2.FIDONET.ORG (Ron Dwight) (01/10/90)

Hi Eric,

 > Also, how well do they work?  I'm considering getting a few
 > of them, but if
 > they don't work well with our software, I would be wasting
 > money.  Primarily
 > used with Windows/286, Excel, Lotus, Word Perfect, MathCad,
 > AutoCad, and a few
 > other memory-hungry applications.

          I have used the RAM-10000 cards for a while and it is a
terrific board.  Uses 1Mbit chips for a total of 10Mb and works
up to 10Mhz.  One problem is operating with bus-mastering cards
in the same machine.  The RAM-10000 card has a wiring error which
causes problems with another Bus mastering controller card, such
as Adaptek 1542A SCSI controller.  There is a fix, You have to
cut a trace on the RAM-10000, but other than that it's a great
card.  Works superb with DESQview on a 386 machine.

                                                      Cheers,

--
Ron Dwight - via FidoNet node 2:515/801
UUCP: ...!santra!casino!1!dwight

phil@pepsi.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (01/13/90)

In article <1990Jan9.204148.2627@druid.uucp> darcy@druid.UUCP (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) writes:

|How about instead of a personal attack you simply explain what you disagree
|with in the above statement.  I have installed a number of Everex boards
|with expanded memory emulators and they have worked as I have described.

If you had read the manual for the 3000, you would have seen references
to page register IO addresses and page frame memory addresses. In fact,
even if you hadn't read the manual but had installed the 3000 you would
have seen the same thing. Since you obviously have never seen, used, or
read about the 3000, why do you 1) waste net bandwidth 2) mislead people
with misinformation 3) slander someone's product?

--
Phil Ngai, phil@diablo.amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
Peace through strength.