[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PC book recomendations

rs3r+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard E. Stuart) (01/10/90)

Hi.

I'm looking for several "classic" books that are the PC equivalent of
_The UNIX Programming Environment_ and am open to any suggestions;
i.e.,  what PC related books are in your shop that you would refuse to
do without?

Thanx,

Ed Stuart
Carnegie Mellon

fredex@cg-atla.UUCP (Fred Smith) (01/11/90)

In article <MZebfEa00XoHE4HUZH@andrew.cmu.edu> rs3r+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard E. Stuart) writes:

>       what PC related books are in your shop that you would refuse to
>do without?

Advanced MSDOS, by Ray Duncan. Published by Microsoft Press
There is now a second edition out (came out immediately after I got mine!!!)

Fred

miller@b-mrda.boeing.com (Mark Miller) (01/11/90)

Here's a list of some volumes I consult frequently:

Peter Norton's Programmers Guide to the IBM PC
Advanced MS-DOS Programming - Ray Duncan
The MS-DOS Encyclopedia - Microsoft Press
The IBM PC Technical Reference Manual - IBM
The IBM PC BIOS Technical Reference Manual - IBM

I am certain there are many other fine volumes only as far away as your
bookstore.

Mark R. Miller                     +    Disclaimer: Opinions expressed
Boeing Commercial Airplane Co.     +    are mine and mine alone, and
Seattle, WA                        +    not necessarily those of my
Internet: miller@b-mrda.boeing.com +    employer.
Voicenet: (206) 237-0960           +
                                   +       +++ Phillipians 4:13 +++

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (01/13/90)

I could do everything I need with just these four books (plus the
manuals that come with the software, of course!):

-Advanced MSDOS Programming (2nd Edition), Ray Duncan, Microsoft Press
-Programmer's Guide to PC & PS/2 Video Systems, Richard Wilton, Microsoft Press
-80386 Programmer's Reference Manual, Intel
-Technical Reference, Personal Computer AT, IBM

Note that the 80386 manual would be something else if I used some other
processor. The IBM manual is *required* even though I've been using clones
for many years; if I used a PS/2 I'd have the appropriate manuals for it
(including the *critical* BIOS listings!)

IMHO most of the "technical reference" books out there are junk!

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply