[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 1Mbit RAM chips in an XT ?

rastatte@sioux.cis.ohio-state.edu (kenneth r rastatter) (12/23/89)

Has anybody heard of a RAM board for an XT that uses 1Mbit DRAM chips?
At minimum, I'd like to use the extra RAM as a ramdisk.  In the best case,
LIM EMS 4.0 compatability. I've seen plenty of cheap ($60 - $200) boards
for the XT that use 64Kbit and/or 256Kbit chips, but none that use 1Mbit
chips.

The Intel AboveBoard, BTW, does everything I'm asking and more... except
for it's price of about $500-$800 I could by a 386 motherboard.

The reason for all of this?  A friend has 4 Megs of RAM in his 386-20
and has offered to loan me 9 of his RAM chips until he upgrades out of DOS
and Desqview to OS/2 or UNIX.

                                       Thanks.
                                         Ken.
{

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) (12/23/89)

In article <75132@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> kenneth r rastatter <rastatte@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>Has anybody heard of a RAM board for an XT that uses 1Mbit DRAM chips?

I have a slightly harder problem - a surplus of 2 Meg of 120 ns 256K-byte
SIPPs.  (I replaced them with 1 Meg SIPPs.)  Can anyone think of any use for
these, in either an XT or AT?  I'd rather not sell them, but if I get an
offer...

Duncan Murdoch

akcs.amparsonjr@vpnet.UUCP (Anthony M. Parson, Jr.) (01/03/90)

I wonder if removing 1 meg from a 4 meg 386 motherboard will work.  While I
don't personally have one, it seems that 4 meg is the minimum allowed, if
using 1 mbit chips (on all the 386 boards that I'm considering for purchase)
Your friend may have memory probs when he takes out the one bank of chips.
Post the results so we'll know...

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (01/10/90)

In article <25a12aed:3726.2comp.sys.ibm.pc;1@vpnet.UUCP> akcs.amparsonjr@vpnet.UUCP (Anthony M. Parson, Jr.) writes:
>I wonder if removing 1 meg from a 4 meg 386 motherboard will work.  While I
>don't personally have one, it seems that 4 meg is the minimum allowed, if
>using 1 mbit chips (on all the 386 boards that I'm considering for purchase)
>Your friend may have memory probs when he takes out the one bank of chips.
>Post the results so we'll know...

Your friend will definitely have problems if he removes one bank,  386 boards
have a 32 bit wide bus, and it takes 4 X 8bits to get 32 bits.  If you use
256K chips the minimum is 1 Meg of memory.  Also, most, but not all 386 boards
use SIMMs, while most XTs use DIPs, which are completely incompatible, it won't
work, don't even bother trying.

Chewey, get us outta here!

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov             (818)354-8771
Kaleb Keithley

akcs.amparsonjr@vpnet.UUCP (Anthony M. Parson, Jr.) (01/13/90)

Since I posted my last message, I got the AMI 386-25 cache motherboard with
4 meg.  It allows 4 meg of DRAMS, and 4 meg of SIMMS on the motherboard.  The

one expansion slot (32 bit) allows another 8 meg of (I believe DRAM only).
What I've not been able to learn is:
     Can I leave the 4 meg SIMM slots empty, and just add DRAM to the 32
     bit slot?  Or do I have to fill up the motherboard first, before adding
     memory on the 32 bit slot?

-

     amparsonjr@vpnet.uucp            |  knowledgable people may justifiably

-