[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Need Info on Color Monitors & Graphics Cards

dpunjabi@isis.UUCP (Dinesh Punjabi) (01/12/90)

I need some info/reviews about various brands of Color Monitors
for IBM-compatible PCs.

I am presently looking at a Seiko - CM1430 1024 x 768 color
monitor. Are there good/reasonably priced/reliable places to
buy color monitors & graphics cards ??

phil@pepsi.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (01/13/90)

In article <2833@isis.UUCP> dpunjabi@isis.UUCP (Dinesh Punjabi) writes:

|I need some info/reviews about various brands of Color Monitors
|for IBM-compatible PCs.
|
|I am presently looking at a Seiko - CM1430 1024 x 768 color
|monitor. Are there good/reasonably priced/reliable places to
|buy color monitors & graphics cards ??

Did you want pointers to magazine reviews or just people's opinions?
I have a CM-1430 and it is the best product I've ever seen in that size.
I like to run Microsoft Excel and it seems to be the most demanding
application I've seen, maybe because it uses a white background.
Yesterday the engineer next door and I compared the Seiko to a Nanao
8060 and the Seiko had an obviously much better picture as well as
having much less glare thanks to the vertically flat Trinitron tube.

I've seen a price of $488 for the Seiko from a place out of San Leandro.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@diablo.amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
Peace through strength.

werner@aecom.yu.edu (Craig Werner) (01/14/90)

In article <2833@isis.UUCP>, dpunjabi@isis.UUCP (Dinesh Punjabi) writes:

> I need some info/reviews about various brands of Color Monitors
> for IBM-compatible PCs.
>
> I am presently looking at a Seiko - CM1430 1024 x 768 color
> monitor. Are there good/reasonably priced/reliable places to
> buy color monitors & graphics cards ??

	The Seiko CM-1430 is an excellent monitor, but ...

	The CM-1430 does VGA and is 8514 compatible. It has multiple
scan rates, but is not a multiscan monitor.
	In particular, it really crumps out on the VESA mode, that is
800x600.  Certain video cards drive this mode anyway, using a hybrid of
the 1024 horizontal, and 350 vertical/double scanned.  Certain, like the
Paradise, don't do this, and if you try the mode, you get a ridiculous
amount of vertical skipping. It can't hold it.  It is possible, with
the right tools and the correct amount of skill, bravery, and fortitude,
to open up the case, and adjust the vertical hold so that it actually
holds for all modes, but it is a tricky adjustment.

	On the other hand, for super VGA, 640x480x256, it is probably the
sharpest monitor I have ever seen.

--
	        Craig Werner   (future MD/PhD, 4.5 years down, 2.5 to go)
	     werner@aecom.YU.EDU -- Albert Einstein College of Medicine