[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Accounting package request

HUFF@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Steve Huff, U. of Kansas, Lawrence) (01/09/90)

Does anybody know of a public domain or shareware accounting program?  We have
recently started a small business, and need something like this to keep track
of our expenses.  I would like to avoid buying Peachtree or a similar program
until the business get off the ground.

Also --- does anybody know of an FTP site where this would be?

Please e-mail replies so I'll be sure to see them.  Thanks in advance.

Steve
Anybody for biz.entrepreneur?

Steve Huff
Internet:  HUFF@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
Bitnet:    HUFF@ukanvax.BITNET
EmCon:     K1TR  or  KW02   (If you have access, please say so!)

macy@fmsystm.UUCP (Macy Hallock) (01/15/90)

In article <20939@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> HUFF@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Steve Huff, U. of Kansas, Lawrence) writes:
>Does anybody know of a public domain or shareware accounting program?  We have
>recently started a small business, and need something like this to keep track
>of our expenses.  I would like to avoid buying Peachtree or a similar program
>until the business get off the ground.

Assuming your target system is an ibm pc compatible, I would suggest you
look at one of the major shareware catalogs, such as "Public Brand Software"
or "PC-sig"...or try one of the many shareware distrubtors (Try a small
local/area computer show or hamfest...)

I have seen several different shareware and PD packages for various types
of business and applications.  One that comes to mind was called "Medlin
Accounting".  The major failing of the product was poor documentation, of
course.  Be sure to talk to your accountant about this.  (Accountants are
your friends.  I used to avoid them, and learned a very expensive lesson.)

Regards, and good luck on you new venture!
 Macy M. Hallock, Jr.     macy@NCoast.ORG         uunet!aablue!fmsystm!macy
  F M Systems, Inc.      {uunet!backbone}!cwjcc.cwru.edu!ncoast!fmsystm!macy
 150 Highland Drive      Voice: +1 216 723-3000 Ext 251  Fax: +1 216 723-3223
Medina, Ohio 44256 USA   Cleveland:273-3000 Akron:239-4994 (Dial 251 at tone)