[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Write protecting hard disks

maurice@xanth.cs.odu.edu (Dale Ross Maurice) (04/09/88)

At my place of work, which is in a computer lab at a local community college,
we have 40 hard cards of the Plus 20 brand name variety.  We have a real need
to write protect these disks.  It must be a method which involves actually
making a change on the disk itself, as we don't want it possible for a student
to just boot with a different disk and then be able to write or erase on the
disk.  Sources would be preferable to binaries but I'll accept either if any-
one can help.

Please email!

		Dale

Dale R. Maurice                     UUCP: maurice@xanth.UUCP
Old Dominion University         or  maurice@xanth.cs.odu.edu

ckirie@aries5.uucp (Chris Irie) (01/09/90)

Does anyone know how to write protect (logical) harddisks on the fly?
Here are some thoughts so far:

        1. Intercept BIOS INT 13 calls. Works fine for floppy disks.
           Problem is with hard drives that are partitioned. In that case,
           you have to read the partition table to figure out which logical
           drive dos is talking about. This seems like a lot of work.

	2. Intercept DOS INT 25/26 (Absolute read write).
           Turns out that these are not called all the time (sometimes DOS
           goes straight to INT 13).

	3. Intercept DOS INT 21.
           Would require knowledge of all INT 21 calls. Implies a lot of
           parsing, knowlegde of FCBs, etc.

Is there a commercial package that does what I want?

Thanks for your time...

               -- Chris Irie

pwendt@neon.UUCP (Patrick Wendt) (01/15/90)

Hi !
====

ckirie@aries5.uucp (Chris Irie) writes:

>Does anyone know how to write protect (logical) harddisks on the fly?
>Here are some thoughts so far:

>        1. Intercept BIOS INT 13 calls. Works fine for floppy disks.
>           Problem is with hard drives that are partitioned. In that case,
>           you have to read the partition table to figure out which logical
>           drive dos is talking about. This seems like a lot of work.

>	2. Intercept DOS INT 25/26 (Absolute read write).
>           Turns out that these are not called all the time (sometimes DOS
>           goes straight to INT 13).

>	3. Intercept DOS INT 21.
>           Would require knowledge of all INT 21 calls. Implies a lot of
>           parsing, knowlegde of FCBs, etc.

>Is there a commercial package that does what I want?

Yes, there are commercial packages for that, I have two programs
on my hard-disk(s), that lock the HD quite good ...
Maybe I'll mail you per UUENCODE if you are interested ?
Or I'm disassembling it, and send you the source.

Contact me if you're interested.

>Thanks for your time...

No problem :-)

Greetings ... Pat !

-   Human Zombie   ;  SysOp Berlin By Byte (BBB) - Mailbox (MultiUser QNX)  -
- (Patrick  Wendt) ;  030/8541082 & 8544082 - 1,2/2,4 kBaud, 8/N/1, 24h on  -
- Domain: pwendt@neon.UUCP      ; Neon Research Caboose ; Berlin (West) GER -
- Bang .: ...!{pyramid || mcsun}!unido!tmpmbx!einoed!utopia!neon!pwendt     -