[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 80387 problems: HELP!

paul@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Paul Thiessen) (01/14/90)

Hello all.
  I just bought and installed a new 80387 chip. However, it didn't work.
The computer booted okay, but when I attempted to run programs that use the
'387, it hung while loading from the disk. I tried the chip in another
computer and it worked. So my guess is that the chip is okay, but is
incompatible with something. (And yes, I read the Micronics manual and had
all the jumpers and DIP switches set right, and the '387 installed
properly...)
  I was wondering if anyone knows of any compatibility problems with the
following system:

  Micronics 25-MHz motherboard, 32K Cache, Intel cache controller
  80386 DX, 80387 DX, both rated 25 MHz
  Phoenix BIOS
  Adaptec 2372B RLL hard drive controller
  Seagate 277R drive, Teac floppies
  Paradise Plus VGA

  Does anyone have this same motherboard with a '387 working properly? How
about with the same drive controller? Has anyone experienced similar
problems?
  Thank you for any help you can provide.

       Paul Thiessen
       Harvey Mudd College
       paul@jarthur.claremont.edu
       (714) 626-7499

harper@rigel.uucp (David Harper) (01/15/90)

In article <3737@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> paul@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Paul Thiessen) writes:
>Hello all.
>  I just bought and installed a new 80387 chip. However, it didn't work.
>properly...)
>  I was wondering if anyone knows of any compatibility problems with the
>following system:
>
>  Micronics 25-MHz motherboard, 32K Cache, Intel cache controller
>  80386 DX, 80387 DX, both rated 25 MHz
>  Phoenix BIOS

I have this exact same combination and I too had problems initially installing
the 80387.  In my case the problem was due to the fact that I "assumed" that
pin 1 on a jumper controlling 80387 operation was in the same orientation as
pin 1 on all the chips.  If fact, it was just the opposite.  I have seen a
recent version of the Micronics 25 MHz motherboard (mine is about 6 months
old) and it had a slightly different layout so they may have fixed this
"problem".  In any case, you might want to experiment with various jumper
combinations.

Dave Harper    -     Convex Computer Corp.            E-mail address:
3000 Waterview Pky.  Richardson, TX 75081             harper@convex.COM
(214) 497-4525 (W)   (214) 727-4206 (H)