[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Desqview vs Windows?

kluksdah@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Keith Kluksdahl) (12/08/89)

Does anyone out there have an opinion on Desqview vs Windows?
That's kind of a dumb question.  Of course you have an opinion
on this question.  The better question might be, will anyone
out there share their opinion on Desqview vs Windows?

Thanks

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
| These views are my own, but I may   |  Keith Kluksdahl   |
| be re-programmed tomorrow........   |  HP Bedford Falls  |
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Tested tough in Alaska.    |<---------- So Long ---------->|

hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) (12/11/89)

In article <1640035@hpspcoi.HP.COM>, kluksdah@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Keith Kluksdahl) writes:
> Does anyone out there have an opinion on Desqview vs Windows?
> That's kind of a dumb question.  Of course you have an opinion
> on this question.  The better question might be, will anyone
> out there share their opinion on Desqview vs Windows?

There have been a number of questions comments along these lines (DesqView vs
Windows), as if they were comparable products. You seem to be missing the point.

If you simply want to task switch between DOS applications, buy DesqView.

If you want an integrated, user interface, in which applications present a
standard, menu-based interface, buy Windows. To get the most out of Windows, you
have to junk your old DOS applications, and acquire a set of true Windows
applications (like Excel, PageMaker, Word, etc). Sure, you can run DOS
applications under Windows, but its real advantages show when you are using
predominantly Windows applications.
--
Roger Hadgraft                  |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au
Lecturer in Civil Engineering   |  phone:  +61 3 565 4983

mlord@bmers58.UUCP (Mark Lord) (12/12/89)

In article <12238@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au> hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) writes:
>In article <1640035@hpspcoi.HP.COM>, kluksdah@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Keith Kluksdahl) writes:
>> Does anyone out there have an opinion on Desqview vs Windows?
>If you simply want to task switch between DOS applications, buy DesqView.
>
>If you want an integrated, user interface, in which applications present a
>standard, menu-based interface, buy Windows. To get the most out of Windows, you
>have to junk your old DOS applications, and acquire a set of true Windows
>applications (like Excel, PageMaker, Word, etc). Sure, you can run DOS

Also, as discussed before,

The other way to get the most out of Windows is to run Windows286
under Desqview386 on a 386 machine.

This gives true multitasking, with the reliable version of windows,
and also makes multitasking non-windows stuff possible.  This
combination works very well!

Cheers,

-Mark
--
+----------------------------------------+----------------------------+
| Mark S. Lord                           | Hey, It's only MY opinion. |

jmann@bigbootay (Jim Mann) (12/12/89)

Word does not yet run under Windows. In fact, I've always thought that the
biggest strike against windows was that Microsoft, while encouraging (?)
others to write for Windows, has not yet provided Windows support for
their most popular word processor.

The (?) after encouraging in the above paragraph is because I really don't
think Microsoft has done more than talk up writing for Windows. If I want
to write an application that uses the Mac interface, I just have to buy
a good cheap compiler (Think's Lightspeed C, for example). The toolbox
routines, which provide windowing support, menuing, etc. are all basic to
the Mac.  If I want to write for Windows, I not only have to buy the
compiler but have to shell out $350 or thereabouts for the Windows
development kit. This is fine for big companies that want to port their
work to Windows. It's not so good for someone who just wants to hack around
a bit, and learn a bit more about how to write for Windows.

stanwass@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (12/14/89)

Word for Windows was recently released (like just this month).

stv@qvax2.UUCP (Steve Vance@ex2499) (12/15/89)

In article <1640035@hpspcoi.HP.COM> kluksdah@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Keith Kluksdahl) writes:
>                   The better question might be, will anyone
>out there share their opinion on Desqview vs Windows?

This is an easy one.  Desqview and Windows both do multi-tasking, and
both cost about the same.  The big difference is that Desqview will
essentially run ANY DOS PROGRAM that you are currently using.  To run
a program under Windows, you need to have a $pecial Windows version.
Also, Windows needs a more in the way of system resources in order to
be able to run.

The only people I have seen that prefer Windows are Software Developers
who are writing programs that will run under Windows.

--
Steve Vance
{hplabs,lll-winken,pacbell}!qantel!stv

wayne.ho@f526.n250.z1.fidonet.org (wayne ho) (12/17/89)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Microsoft just recently released
an MS Word for Windows which supports WYSIWYG, etc., etc.

                                        Wayne

--- ConfMail V3.31
 * Origin: MeTaStAsIo'S -`Not ready error reading drive A' (416)487-9093 (1:250/526)

schaut@cat9.cs.wisc.edu (Richard Schaut) (12/18/89)

In article <640@qvax2.UUCP> stv@qvax2.UUCP (Steve Vance@ex2499) writes:
| In article <1640035@hpspcoi.HP.COM> kluksdah@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Keith Kluksdahl) writes:
| >                   The better question might be, will anyone
| >out there share their opinion on Desqview vs Windows?
|
| This is an easy one.  Desqview and Windows both do multi-tasking, and
| both cost about the same.  The big difference is that Desqview will
| essentially run ANY DOS PROGRAM that you are currently using.  To run
| a program under Windows, you need to have a $pecial Windows version.
| Also, Windows needs a more in the way of system resources in order to
| be able to run.

This isn't entirely correct.  I've run Procomm _in_ a window, and have run
the Turbo C IDE at full screen without any problems at all.  I can't say
that _all_ msdos programs will run under Windows, but I can't think of
any more hostile to the Windows environment than those two.  Also, if you
have a LIM 4.0 memory board, Windows' lust for memory is inconsequential.

From a programmer's standpoint, Windows is definitely the way to go because
of its close relationship to the OS/2 Presentation Manager.  Write a
program for one environment, and you've virtually written a program for the
other.

--
Rick

"Any questions?  Any answers?  Anyone care for a mint?" -- Rita Rudner

caprio@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Mike Caprio) (01/13/90)

>From a programmer's standpoint, Windows is definitely the way to go because
>of its close relationship to the OS/2 Presentation Manager.  Write a
>program for one environment, and you've virtually written a program for the
>other.

  As I understand it, programming for Windows and PM, turned out to be
far more different than MS had promised.  None of the functions calls are
the same, etc.  It will apparently be a major hassle to bring a program
over to PM after designing it for Windows :-(

dar@nucleus.mi.org (Dario Alcocer) (01/16/90)

In article <6138@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>, caprio@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Mike Caprio) writes:

> >From a programmer's standpoint, Windows is definitely the way to go because
> >of its close relationship to the OS/2 Presentation Manager.  Write a
> >program for one environment, and you've virtually written a program for the
> >other.
> >
>   As I understand it, programming for Windows and PM, turned out to be
> far more different than MS had promised.  None of the functions calls are
> the same, etc.  It will apparently be a major hassle to bring a program
> over to PM after designing it for Windows :-(

From what I've heard, you're right about a Windows-to-PM port not being so
easy as Microsoft first expected.  Maybe because of this, Micrographx has
been working on something to make it easier; According to Charles Petzold:

	"Moreover, Micrographx (the creators of several good Windows
	 programs) has benn working on a product called Mirrors that will
	 help Windows programmers convert their programs to the Presentation
	 Manager.  It involves recompiling the Windows program, using and
	 OS/2 dynamic link library to convert the Windows function calls
	 to PM function calls."

	-- Charles Petzold, "Windows and PM: Friendly Companions or
	   Deadly Competitors", PC Magazine, Dec. 12, 1989, vol. 8 no. 21

Also, this was mentioned in an article in Info World ("Microsoft Tells
Developers of Plan To Let Windows Apps Run Under PM", Info World, v. 12,
n. 1), and I guess MS and Micrographx are working on an implementation
in an upcoming release of OS/2.
--
-- Dario Alcocer (San Diego, CA)
INTERNET: dar@nucleus.mi.org