[comp.sys.ibm.pc] where do I find out about BOARDS ?

phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (01/13/90)

Is there a good source of information on the variety of products and
manufacturers of all kinds of AT-bus compatible plug in boards?

Magazines like PC Magazine and Computer Shopper do well for find out about
the availability and choices of whole systems, and certain kinds of add on
boards (video boards and LAN interfaces).  But I want more, such as:

-  Serial boards capable of 56KB or even 1.544MB

-  Analog and/or instrumentation ADC/DAC boards

-  DSP processor boards, especially with ADC/DAC onboard

-  many other nice things I haven't though of yet

Is there a magazine, catalog, shoppers guide, or databook that describes
the various kinds of plug in boards one could get for AT-bus compatibles?

(if it includes MCA boards, that might be interesting reading)

--Phil Howard, KA9WGN--
<phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (01/17/90)

In article <17100015@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>Magazines like PC Magazine and Computer Shopper do well for find out about
>the availability and choices of whole systems, and certain kinds of add on
>boards (video boards and LAN interfaces).  But I want more, such as:

I notice you didn't mention Byte.  This magazine always seems to have a lot
of "different" boards.  In the January issue I see, among others, a high-
speed sync serial board with DMA, relay I/O boards, diskless boot network
EPROM boards, video input frame grabber boards, EPROM programmer boards,
logic analyzer boards, 9-track tape controllers, voice input a-d boards,
72-bit parallel ports, data acquisiton boards, stepper motor cards, etc.

Also check out the electronics hobby magazines.

--
John Dudeck                           "You want to read the code closely..."
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu             -- C. Staley, in OS course, teaching