[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Procomm 2.4.2 & dumb modem

rlneal@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (r.l.neal) (01/10/90)

I am using Procomm 2.4.2 with a dumb modem (212a modem) on
a PC6300 (XT compatible).  I can make outgoing calls fine,
manually dialing, of course, but when I put it in the
answer mode, with Procomm in host mode, it does not work
properly.  The incomming call get the appropriate tone,
but the computer does not connect and go on line.
(I did get it to work once, but not before or since.)
I would like to transfer files between 2 pc's at different
locations.

Will Procomm only work in the host mode if it is using
Hayes compatible modems?  or is something else the problem?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide.

<standard disclaimer here>

Bob Neal   @ att!ihlpe!rlneal
Naperville, Ill

voice mail:  708/979-1090

gcook@cps3xx.UUCP (Greg Cook) (01/10/90)

From article <12540@cbnewsd.ATT.COM>, by rlneal@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (r.l.neal):
> Will Procomm only work in the host mode if it is using
> Hayes compatible modems?  or is something else the problem?

I have a Hayes compatible modem and have yet to get Procomm's (2.4.3)
host mode to work.  It answers a call occaisonally, and if it does, it
just sits there!  Or it keeps cycling between some dumb messages procomm
has and won't stop (even not connected, when I initiate host mode).

I would appreciate any advice on this also!

Greg Cook                                Chemistry IS life!
Michigan State University      Watch for the next generation of Enamines
gcook@horus.cem.msu.edu              coming to a Journal near you!

wdawe@geac.com (Wayne Dawe) (01/16/90)

In article <5966@cps3xx.UUCP> gcook@cps3xx.UUCP (Greg Cook) writes:
>From article <12540@cbnewsd.ATT.COM>, by rlneal@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (r.l.neal):
>> Will Procomm only work in the host mode if it is using
>> Hayes compatible modems?  or is something else the problem?
>
>I have a Hayes compatible modem and have yet to get Procomm's (2.4.3)
>host mode to work.  It answers a call occaisonally, and if it does, it
>just sits there!  Or it keeps cycling between some dumb messages procomm
>has and won't stop (even not connected, when I initiate host mode).

When using Host mode in Procomm you must ensure that your modem is set
so the carrier detect line follows the the carrier detect status. This is
done either by setting a dip switch or in newer modems by sending a
command to the modem. Another thing to check is that you are using the proper
method to hang-up the modem. Most Hayes compatible modems uses the ATH0
command prefaced with the proper escape sequence (usually +++).
In Procomm+ it is also necessary to choose whether or not to drop DTR to hangup,
the use of the method may also require reprogramming the modem registers.
I have found not using this option to be more reliable.

Procomm will work in host mode with non-Hayes modems but requires more care
in setting the proper initialization sequence.

--
Wayne Dawe
wdawe@geac.com

gcook@cps3xx.UUCP (Greg Cook) (01/17/90)

From article <1990Jan15.220313.22261@geac.com>, by wdawe@geac.com (Wayne Dawe):
> In article <5966@cps3xx.UUCP> gcook@cps3xx.UUCP (Greg Cook) writes:
>>I have a Hayes compatible modem and have yet to get Procomm's (2.4.3)
>>host mode to work.  It answers a call occaisonally, and if it does, it
>>just sits there!  Or it keeps cycling between some dumb messages procomm
>>has and won't stop (even not connected, when I initiate host mode).

> When using Host mode in Procomm you must ensure that your modem is set
> so the carrier detect line follows the the carrier detect status. This is
> done either by setting a dip switch or in newer modems by sending a
> command to the modem. Another thing to check is that you are using the proper
> method to hang-up the modem. Most Hayes compatible modems uses the ATH0

I have checked all of these things, and still cannot get it to work?????

What else coule it be???