[comp.sys.ibm.pc] WordPerfect 5.1 Anomalies

rpbozac@crocus.waterloo.edu (Neill Kernohan) (01/17/90)

Since many people have emailed requests, here is the article in full.

From "The WordPerfectionist"  January Edition

WordPerfect 5.1 is not perfect, nor is it as stable or bug-free as
the current 5.0.  While this is to be expected for a new release, it
does mean that users not in a rush to use the new 5.1 features are
probably best served by waiting to upgrade.  New WordPerfect versions
are always better after the first iterim release or two [or three or
four - ed.].

Some of the problems we have been notified of or have noticed
ourselves:

-  Occasionally editing slows down to a crawl for no apparent reason.
The slow-down is quite noticeable even on teh WPSG's 386 machines.

-  Although 5.1's Print View has better esolution than 5.0, it is
also noticeably slower.  There have also been reports of a loss of
resolution on Hercules and CGA displays.

-  The main editing screen doesn't always rewrite correctly
(especially in columns).  Stray pieces of menus and text appear in
strange places from time to time.

-  Using numerous graphic boxes in a document can cause problems.
Boxes do not position properly and occasionally will not print.

-  When printing some documents across a Novell Network, WP sends
Novell Form requests when not required.

-  Occasionally while editing a filename during Save, WP will
incorrectly display inserted characters.

-  Members have reported problems with 5.1 when EMS was used.  [To
disable expanded memory usage on an 8086 or 8088, start WP with
"wp/ne" - ed.]

WordPerfectg 5.1 is bigger and slower than 5.0, but we do feel that
the changes will be worth it as WP matures.  WPCorp has added a lot
to this "minor" release.

If you notice any other anomalies, please email them to me.  I am
compiling a list.
Neill Kernohan            ------------       rpbozac@crocus.waterloo.edu
513 Glendene Cres          ----------
Waterloo, ON                --------          Don't accept candy from

msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) (01/17/90)

For those of us who have upgraded, and who are more or less committed
to the new version, and who have noticed some of these anomalies,
is there some way to get fixes from WordPerfect?

Mark
--
Mark Smith, KNJ2LH                All Rights Reserved
RPO 1604               You may redistribute this article only if those who

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (01/18/90)

[deleted list of minor bugs in WP51 from Word Perfectionist]

The Word Perfectionist is a publication of the Word Perfect Support
Group, I believe an organization independent of WPCorp. If WP51's
new features are helpful (long file names, more versatile setup,
relative tabs, table editor, equations) I would not delay buying. They
have a good track record of ironing out most problems in there
interim/maintenance releases (these are usually minimally priced).

M Volow, VA Medical Center, Durham, NC 27705
mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP           919 286 0411

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (01/19/90)

In article <1990Jan18.025118.23505@uncecs.edu> mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) writes:
>They
>have a good track record of ironing out most problems in there
>interim/maintenance releases (these are usually minimally priced).

In fact, if you report a bug that they have fixed, they will send you the
upgrade for free. I got several interrim 5.0 releases, and never got charged.
They also sent a free booklet describing the macro language when I compained
about the lack of documentation. It may be buggy, but their service has been
top-notch!

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply