[comp.sys.ibm.pc] WordPerfect 5.1 and 5.0

rpbozac@crocus.waterloo.edu (Neill Kernohan) (01/16/90)

Does anyone have the latest WordPerfect Bulletin -- apparently they're advising people not to buy WordPerfect 5.1 because of some "anomalies"  with the program.  Could someone email me the article?

Also, I need drivers - either official or shareware - for the Tandy DWP210 and the Diablo Companion for WordPerfect 5.0.  I would appreciate these also.

Neill Kernohan            ------------       rpbozac@crocus.waterloo.edu
513 Glendene Cres          ----------
Waterloo, ON                --------          Don't accept candy from

granoff@vaxwrk.enet.dec.com (Mark H. Granoff) (01/17/90)

> Does anyone have the latest WordPerfect Bulletin -- apparently they're
advising
> people not to buy WordPerfect 5.1 because of some "anomalies"  with the
> program.  Could someone email me the article?

What *kind* of "anomalies?"  Care to elaborate?

Mark H. Granoff               | Software Services/Engineering VAXworks
Digital Equipment Corporation | ARPAnet: granoff@vaxwrk.enet.dec.com
129 Parker Street             | EASYnet: VAXWRK::GRANOFF
PKO2-1/M21                    | Usenet : ...!decwrl!vaxwrk.dec.com!granoff
Maynard, MA 01754             | AT&T   : (508) 493-4512
Disclaimer: Views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily
            reflect those of my employer.

steve@wintermute.ucsd.edu ({Darkavich}) (01/17/90)

In article <7508@shlump.nac.dec.com> granoff@vaxwrk.enet.dec.com (Mark H. Granoff) writes:

>> Does anyone have the latest WordPerfect Bulletin -- apparently they're
>advising
>> people not to buy WordPerfect 5.1 because of some "anomalies"  with the
>> program.  Could someone email me the article?
>
>What *kind* of "anomalies?"  Care to elaborate?

My parents are authorized WP dealers and they haven't been told anything
about this.  Where is this Bulletin?  Could you point me in the right
direction?  Apparently the operators at Word PErfect know nothing about any
problems?

Steve Misrack
steve@ucsd.edu

tlov@ohs.UUCP (Timothy Loveridge) (01/18/90)

In article <19813@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, rpbozac@crocus.waterloo.edu (Neill Kernohan) writes:
> Does anyone have the latest WordPerfect Bulletin -- apparently they're advising people not to buy WordPerfect 5.1 because of some "anomalies"  with the program.  Could someone email me the article?

Better yet, If anyone has it could they please post the article to the net?
This has a great impact on many people around the world.

--
Mail: Timothy M. Loveridge    Email: uunet!iconsys!ohs!tlov  or
      855 E. 200 S.                  ohs!tlov@uunet.uu.net   or

stanwass@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (01/18/90)

I have been using 5.1 for one month --- no problems.

peter@isgtec.UUCP (Peter Curran) (01/19/90)

(Neill Kernohan) writes:
>Does anyone have the latest WordPerfect Bulletin -- apparently they're
>advising people not to buy WordPerfect 5.1 because of some "anomalies"
>with the program.  Could someone email me the article?

Without over-quoting from copyrighted material, the complaints mentioned
in the article include:

   - occasional unexplained serious performance degradation
   - Print View is slow (but higher-resolution)
   - text is not always displayed correctly (especially in columns)
   - extensive use of Graphics Boxes causes strange behaviour
   - excessive Novell Form requests sent when printing on a Novell Network
   - incorrect characters appear when editing file names
   - problems have been reported when using EMS

My brother, a value-added retailer, got a copy of WP 5.1 in December, and
encountered several significant bugs in the VGA driver in the first half-hour
of using it.

WordPerfect Corp. has a well-earned reputation for unadequate product
testing, premature releases, excessive numbers of upgrade releases (often
introducing incompatibilities with previous releases), etc.  I would say
that "wait" is a good strategy, unless the new features are really
important to you.
--
Peter Curran       ...uunet!utai!lsuc!isgtec!peter      isgtec!peter@censor
A scientist generates new ideas.  A good engineer makes things work with as