[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Drive controllers

wcurtiss@x102c.harris-atd.com (Curtiss WC 67625) (01/17/90)

I am rolling my own system, and have been shopping drive contollers.  Since
I've decided that I need at least three floppy drives (Mixed, 5 1/4 and
3 1/2), I have two choices:  I can get a controller which supports up to
4 drives and then a seperate HD controller, or I can get a normal FD/HD
controller and then a floppy co-controller for the other two.  I'm leaning
towards the first solution because it allows me to later move the HD upto
ESDI, or whatever the latest technology is, whenever I fell like it, without
having to bother the floppies, and always buying FD/HD cards (which cost more).

My questions:

1) How are the extra two drives addressed?  (Both by device number and drive
letter.)

2) Will a tape backup unit designed to connect to a floppy card work fine
with these?

3) Are all floppy contollers the same technology?  That is, is the floppy
controller part of a RLL or ESDI FD/HD controller, the same as a floppy
only controller (i.e., not RLL or ESDI)?

Thanks for your help.

William Curtiss         407/984-6383            |    "The only good martyr
Harris GISD, Melbourne, FL  32902               |         is a dead martyr."
Internet: wcurtiss%x102c@trantor.harris-atd.com | - Standard disclamers apply -

werner@aecom.yu.edu (Craig Werner) (01/19/90)

In article <3058@trantor.harris-atd.com>, wcurtiss@x102c.harris-atd.com (Curtiss WC 67625) writes:
> I am rolling my own system, and have been shopping drive contollers.  Since
> I've decided that I need at least three floppy drives (Mixed, 5 1/4 and
> 3 1/2), I have two choices:  I can get a controller which supports up to

	I have a system with 4 floppies: 5.25 360K, 5.25 1.2M, and 2
1.44M 3.5s.  The BIOS has to support 4 floppies. Some don't. As is, DOS
automatically allocates A: and B:.  C: (and D:) are my hard disk.
For the other floppies, they have to be installed as external devices
in the CONFIG.SYS file.  And in my case, they end up being E: and F:.

	(I really once freaked out someone who being used to a Model 25,
and only seeing A:, couldn't figure out what a 'COPY E:*.* F:' was.)
--
	        Craig Werner   (future MD/PhD, 4.5 years down, 2.5 to go)
	     werner@aecom.YU.EDU -- Albert Einstein College of Medicine