[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Sony CPD-1302 Multiscan with VGA?

summit@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (philip.listowsky) (01/10/90)

I have decided to shelf my EGA XT and get a VGA 386.

I have a Sony 1302 monitor (from my EGA system),
and the salespeople and the Sony people say that  the 1302
will support VGA (so I wouldn't have to buy a new monitor
for my new 386 VGA system, theoretically).

My questions  for net-land gurus are:

1) If the 1302 really runs VGA stuff, why does its ref. manual
   say: "Compatible with the IBM 3270 and IBM PC, AT, and XT microcomputers
         using the CGA, EGA, PGA, and MDA."?
   (no mention of VGA in the manual!)

2) Will my 1302 employ VGA in all its glory, or do I really need
   to get a new monitor?  :-(

Thanks in advance,

Phil

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (01/10/90)

In article <3563@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> summit@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (philip.listowsky) writes:

>1) If the 1302 really runs VGA stuff, why does its ref. manual
>   say: "Compatible with the IBM 3270 and IBM PC, AT, and XT microcomputers
>         using the CGA, EGA, PGA, and MDA."?
>   (no mention of VGA in the manual!)

>2) Will my 1302 employ VGA in all its glory, or do I really need
>   to get a new monitor?  :-(

My 1302 manual said something on the lines of blatablat analog.
VGA is analog, EGA is not. You need a cable. I never got mine
soldered up right. Let me know if your works.

BTW, I do wish the ATT people would put in Reply to: headers.
I KNOW they are not on cbnews. What mail never knows is where
they REALLY are!

--
A host is a host & from coast to coast...wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
no one will talk to a host that's close..............(305) 255-RTFM

fayne@tellab5.TELLABS.COM (Jeffrey Fayne) (01/10/90)

In article <3563@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> summit@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (philip.listowsky) writes:

>2) Will my 1302 employ VGA in all its glory, or do I really need
>   to get a new monitor?  :-(

As a VERY satisfied 1302 owner, I can assure you that the 1302 will run VGA.
In fact I'm told that it will also run 1024x768 even though the manual
doesn't state as such. I would recommend that you spend the extra $$ (about
50 or so) and get the new 1304. It is a non-interlaced monitor that offers
even higher resolution than the 1302.

				Jeff

 F-14           \      _      /             |  Jeffrey M. Fayne
   Tomcat        \   /^ ^\   /              |  Tellabs, Inc.
      ____________\_(  .  )_/____________   |  Lisle, IL  (708)-512-7726
           --*/--|_| (___) |_|--\*--        |  fayne@tellab5.UUCP
              *       O O       *           |  Standard Disclaimer Applies

In article <3563@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> summit@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (philip.listowsky) writes:

| 1) If the 1302 really runs VGA stuff, why does its ref. manual
|    say: "Compatible with the IBM 3270 and IBM PC, AT, and XT microcomputers
|          using the CGA, EGA, PGA, and MDA."?
                               ^^^
|    (no mention of VGA in the manual!)

  Probably the manual was written pre-VGA.

| 2) Will my 1302 employ VGA in all its glory, or do I really need
|    to get a new monitor?  :-(

  It should handle the standard VGA resolutions. PGA was (is)
640x480x256, which is kind of at the limit of what a standard VGA will
do, even with extra memory. Yes, a real IBM will (usually) do 800x600,
but the 1024x768 modes are not part of all VGAs. I would expect your
monitor to function well with STANDARD modes. Note that my original
Multisync will support these extended modes, even though I have to tweak
the controls. The new models will sync right in.
--
	bill davidsen - sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX
davidsen@sixhub.uucp		...!uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen

"Getting old is bad, but it beats the hell out of the alternative" -anon

indra@pepsi.amd.com (Indra Singhal) (01/12/90)

I had similar questions re the CPD1302 and VGA. I tried several cards and
had switching problems, ie. If I adjusted my controls for VGA sizing when
an application required EGA I lost screen real-estate.

Through the net I found out that Sony had an upgrade that fixed the
problem. I had Sony apply it. It is supposed to turn the CPD-1302 into a
1302-A. The upgrade consists of installing/replacing 2 resistors at $0.35
each and a labor charge of $95.00. With tax, I paid $95.75 :-(

This weekend I plan to get the Ahead Systems VGA card to try with my NEW
SuperDuper Sony CPD-1302A (upgraded)! I will let you all know what I find!

Most used s/w: Ventura 2.0 Prof Edn., MECA Managing Your Money, GT
Powercomm 13.00, Desqview 2.24, on an AST Premium/286 w/ 2M ram.

iNDRA | indra@amdcad.AMD.COM (Indra Singhal) (408) 749-5445
      | {ames decwrl apple pyramid sun uunet}!amdcad!indra
      | MS 167; Box 3453; Sunnyvale, CA 94088

timothym@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM (Timothy D Margeson) (01/12/90)

Hi,

About the Sony 1302 and VGA... this is not the 1302A...

I have one of the first 1302 monitors. That is, one manufactured prior to
VGA becoming real. I have tried various VGA boards with the following results
and have done a mod to the monitor... details follow...

With any VGA card, the 1302 works well so long as you do not change from
graphics to text modes alot. The vertical size changes radically and almost
randomly. It seems the autosize circuitry is designed to switch gains at
vertical rates near 70 Hz. So, 640x480 at 70 Hz gives different sizes at
different times. Quite a pain in the rump. This also means that when changing
to the 640x400 at 50 Hz for text ensures that if the monitor didn't swich
gains the first time, it will the second.

Another strangeness is when changing modes, the monitor has this bounce in
the display. The vertical size changes, bounces up and down a few millimeters,
finally to settle.

I called Sony. They informed me of a mod that can be performed by repair
centers (only Sony centers I believe). The mod changes the charcateristics
of the vertical size control circuit, so that it is not so sensitive to
the 50 Hz to 70 Hz range.

I installed the mod. A matter of changing two resistors and retweaking the
monitors geometry and pincushion.

All of the VGA modes now display at the same image size (very close to being
identical). However, when using non-standard modes, 1024x768 interlaced,
800x600, 640x400, the size is no longer well controlled. 800x600 is larger
than the standard screen, therefore the worst offender in my book. 1024x768
is a little compressed, but usable.

EGA 640x350, certain incarnations (some programmers ideas of how to use EGA),
show some compression vertically. But well within usable limits. I use the
program Quicken 2.0, and the 43 line EGA mode is plain wierd on the Video 7
1024i I just purchased. But this problem is only apparent with Quicken 2.0,
Q 3.0 doesn't have the problem... You decide.

For the bulk of the programs I use, 640x480 is fine, only in OrCAD does
anything greater appeal to me (then 2048x1672 sounds nice).

So, a users real commentary... I've been there, I've conquered... Am I happy
with the results? Well, if I were buying new, I think the Seiko 1430 would
be my choice (again no 800x600 though). I will not be rushing out to buy a
new monitor because the new fonts of the 1024i are my biggest complaint. They
are just plain shitty!! No pulling punches there... the old Vega Deluxe font
is far superior in legibility and clarity. Now to get my font stealer program
to work, pull the fonts from the Vega Deluxe ROM, and download them to the
1024i.

Anyway, I did the resistor mod myself, it wasn't that bad, but then I have
a deep background in electronics hardware... the adjustments can be made with
almost any VGA board driving the display and a good DVM, and patience :-)

To prevent lunies from trying this fix and smoking monitors, I will save
'the fix details for E-Mail, and will reply as time permits...

--
Tim Margeson (206)253-5240
PO Box 3500  d/s C1-022                          @@   'Who said that?'

klein@uvm-gen.UUCP (klein bruce) (01/12/90)

From article <3563@cbnewsl.ATT.COM>, by summit@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (philip.listowsky):

> and the salespeople and the Sony people say that  the 1302
> will support VGA (so I wouldn't have to buy a new monitor
> for my new 386 VGA system, theoretically).
>
> My questions  for net-land gurus are:
>    to get a new monitor?  :-(

Don't throw out that monitor.  The Sony 1302 is probably one of the best
and most flexible 13 inch monitors you can get.  I bought an Orchid VGA
card with 512k RAM; I called Orchid for their recommendation on monitors
and the Sony 1302 was suggested as the only one available that could do all
possible resolutions that the card could put out.  This was a year and a half
ago.  I'm so pleased with it that I'm currently buying one for a Mac II system
that uses a TrueVision video card.

I had to made my own cable though.  If you can't get a cable try calling
Cables To Go at 800/826-7904.  They sent me the SONY CTG-512 which was
close but NOT right.  I modified it rather than sending it back.  I would
hope that they can supply the correct one by now.

--Bruce Kline

rkl@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (kevin.laux) (01/20/90)

In article <3563@cbnewsl.ATT.COM>, summit@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (philip.listowsky) writes:

> 1) If the 1302 really runs VGA stuff, why does its ref. manual
>    say: "Compatible with the IBM 3270 and IBM PC, AT, and XT microcomputers
>          using the CGA, EGA, PGA, and MDA."?
>    (no mention of VGA in the manual!)

	I don't know why it doesn't mention VGA.

> 2) Will my 1302 employ VGA in all its glory, or do I really need
>    to get a new monitor?  :-(

	The 1302 really does work in VGA mode - I have such a monitor and
used it with the Sony 3081 Overlay card.  The graphics chipset was from
Paradise.  You'll need a VGA card with 512K video ram on it to support
VGA (640 x 480, 256 colors).

--rkl