[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Telecommunication Questions: Procomm && Telix

srt@maui.uucp (01/18/90)

(1) Is there any way to use EGA extended screen modes (i.e., 43/50
lines) in Procomm?  I believe that I have Procomm Plus 2.4.2 (?); at
any rate, whatever comes distributed with Practical Peripherals
modems.

(2) Telix does support 43/50 line screen modes, but has some other
"misfeatures".  First, I can't seem to write a script to automatically
log on to the local computer.  It requires a couple of carriage
returns to set the baud rate, but "cputc('^M')" and all the obvious
variations don't seem to hack it.  Second, I'd like to be able to
automatically dial an entry in the dialing directory when starting up.
The best I can do is automatically execute a script, but his means I
need two scripts for every number - one which includes the dial (so
that I can use it from the command line) and one which doesn't, so I
can link it to the entry in the dialing directory.

(3) Is there any communications package which will support >80
character lines under EGA?  I'd like something with 132 cols or so for
editing those heavily-indented Lisp files.

    Scott R. Turner
    UCLA Computer Science     "You may have snapped already from the information disease"
    Domain: srt@cs.ucla.edu

caf@omen.UUCP (WA7KGX) (01/19/90)

In article <30950@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> srt@maui.uucp () writes:
:(3) Is there any communications package which will support >80
:character lines under EGA?  I'd like something with 132 cols or so for
:editing those heavily-indented Lisp files.

Provided your display has BIOS support for a 132 line mode, ZCOMM
and Professional-YAM will recognize ANSI escape sequences to switch
to 132 coulmn modes.  Upon entry, these programs will pick up the
the display's number of lines and columns; if you can read your screen
in 132x66 mode, Pro-YAM and ZCOMM can manage the display.

jmr@unccvax.UUCP (j michael reeves) (01/20/90)

In article <30950@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, srt@maui.uucp writes:

> The best I can do is automatically execute a script, but his means I
> need two scripts for every number - one which includes the dial (so
> that I can use it from the command line) and one which doesn't, so I
> can link it to the entry in the dialing directory.

Two .cmd files are not needed. Just include the check:

              IF NOT LINKED
                 DIAL (whatever)

That way if the file is being executed as linked, the number
will not be dialed again.  If the file is being executed manually
(not linked) the number will be dialed.

Check the ProComm documentation for exact syntax.

jmr@unccvax