[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Input needed on XT Hard Disk

pault@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Paul_Taira) (01/17/90)

      I have an IBM (real) PC-XT with a Seagate ST-225 hard disk.  I need
      to add a second hard disk or simply replace the original 20MB with
      something much larger (60MB?).  Currently, I only keep the software
      which I regularly use one the system and a few (<30) user files
      on the system.  But I have run out of room.  I visited a local
      computer store and I was told that I could not put more than
      30MB on my system since it is an XT with an 8-bit bus.  Is this
      true?  I thought that DOS 3.2  supports hard disks larger than
      32MB in one partition.  I would also like to find a faster hard
      disk.  BTW, I have an Intel 386PC turbo card in the system to
      improve performance.

      I would also like to add a 1.44MB floppy onto the system.  Any hints
      or suggestions.  Which disk drive is better?  Toshiba? Sony?

                                  Thanks

eholmberg@kontu.utu.fi (01/18/90)

In article <1400021@hp-ptp.HP.COM>, pault@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Paul_Taira) writes:
>       computer store and I was told that I could not put more than
>       30MB on my system since it is an XT with an 8-bit bus.  Is this
>       true?  I thought that DOS 3.2  supports hard disks larger than
>       32MB in one partition.  I would also like to find a faster hard

	The 8-bit bus has nothing to do with the size of the hard disc.
	I have a XT (clone:-) equipped with ST-277R disc, which gives
	63 MB formatted capacity. The disc is partitioned with Disk
	Manager, which works happily.. DOS 3.2 does not support over
	32 MB discs, so Disk Manager was a must. DOS 3.3 can use discs
	over 32 MB in size, but not over 32 MB in one partition. If
	you wish to use bigger partitions, you need DOS 4.01.

--

E. K. Holmberg, Co-Sysop of SAS-(M)BBS (+358-21-518-994,24h,V.32ECM)
        Also known as eholmberg@kontu.utu.fi

simon@hpstek.dec.com (Curiosier and curiosier...) (01/18/90)

In article <1400021@hp-ptp.HP.COM>, pault@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Paul_Taira) writes...

>      						I visited a local
>      computer store and I was told that I could not put more than
>      30MB on my system since it is an XT with an 8-bit bus.  Is this
>      true?

Not true.  I run Maxtor 2190(?) 127 Mb partitioned on my 3 year old XT
clone.  Actually, with a modern controller I could get 159 Mb, but my
controller BIOS knows only about 1024 cylinder, while the drive has 1124
cyl.

---
Leo Simon	simon@hpstek.enet.dec.com
		--or-- ...!decwrl!hpstek.enet.dec.com!simon
		--or-- simon%hpstek.enet.dec@decwrl.dec.com

Who is not liberal when young, doesn't have a heart.
Who is not conservative when old, doesn't have a brain.

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (01/19/90)

In article <1400021@hp-ptp.HP.COM> pault@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Paul_Taira) writes:
>      I have an IBM (real) PC-XT with a Seagate ST-225 hard disk.  I need
>      I visited a local
>      computer store and I was told that I could not put more than
>      30MB on my system since it is an XT with an 8-bit bus.  Is this
>      true

This is hogwash, I added a 60 meg Micropolis drive to my XT clone (which
had a Western Digital eight bit controller) and it worked just fine.
DOS 3.3 definitely, and 3.2 maybe, supports extended DOS partitions,
which are subdivided into logical drives.  DOS 3.31 (Compaq) and 4.01
allow unlimited size drives (really 16 gigabytes, but to me, that's
unlimited)

>      I would also like to add a 1.44MB floppy onto the system.  Any hints
>      or suggestions.  Which disk drive is better?  Toshiba? Sony?

Change you FD controller to one of the clone FD controllers that support
these floppy drives.  Under $100 I think.  I can't tell you which brand is
better.

Chewey, get us outta here!

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov             (818)354-8771
Kaleb Keithley

rick@NRC.COM (Rick Wagner) (01/19/90)

In article <1400021@hp-ptp.HP.COM> pault@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Paul_Taira) writes:

>      I have an IBM (real) PC-XT with a Seagate ST-225 hard disk.  I need
>      to add a second hard disk or simply replace the original 20MB with
>      something much larger (60MB?).  Currently, I only keep the software
>      which I regularly use one the system and a few (<30) user files
>      on the system.  But I have run out of room.  I visited a local
>      computer store and I was told that I could not put more than
>      30MB on my system since it is an XT with an 8-bit bus.  Is this
>      true?  I thought that DOS 3.2  supports hard disks larger than
>      32MB in one partition.  I would also like to find a faster hard
>      disk.  BTW, I have an Intel 386PC turbo card in the system to
>      improve performance.

A few months back, I was doing development for the Segate St01/st02
controller.  I had this card, and an st296N (80 Mb) drive installed in
my XT clone.  It worked fine.  You'll need DOS 3.3 or 4.0.  DOS 3.2
only allowed one partition, upto 32Mb, per drive.  DOS 3.3 allows
multiple 32 MB partitions (logical drives) per hard drive.  I used DOS
3.3 on my XT, and had 3 partitions (C:, D: = 32Mb, E: = ~10Mb).
Worked fine.  I only had the setup for a limited time, so others can
comment on the long term reliability of these drives.  I am not
recommending them (or un-recommending), just making the point that it
can be done.  These drives/controllers were discussed (alot!) a few
months ago, so if you want to check into them, someone might have the
discussions archived.

>      I would also like to add a 1.44MB floppy onto the system.  Any hints
>      or suggestions.  Which disk drive is better?  Toshiba? Sony?

I beleave the ST02 can handle these drives.

>                                  Thanks

	--rick
Rick Wagner						Network Research Corp.
rick@nrc.com						2380 North Rose Ave.
(805) 485-2700	FAX: (805) 485-8204			Oxnard, CA 93030
Don't hate yourself in the morning; sleep til noon.

bb16@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Bostater) (01/19/90)

In article <456@nrcvax.NRC.COM> rick@nrcvax.UUCP (Rick Wagner) writes:
>In article <1400021@hp-ptp.HP.COM> pault@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Paul_Taira) writes:

      [ discussion about the need for a hard disk >30MB ]

>>             BTW, I have an Intel 386PC turbo card in the system to
>>      improve performance.

>A few months back, I was doing development for the Segate St01/st02
>controller.  I had this card, and an st296N (80 Mb) drive installed in
>my XT clone.  It worked fine.  You'll need DOS 3.3 or 4.0.  DOS 3.2

     [discussion of disk partitioning deleted]

Better watch yourself on the SCSI drives with your 386PC card.  I tried putting
an ST296N/ST01 combination in an original IBM PC with a Quadram 386XT turbo
board.  It didn't work because the SCSI cotroller board's BIOS conflicted with
the 386XT's BIOS.  I talked with Quadram about the problem and their response
was "tough luck" (well, maybe not their exact words :-).  I don't know if the
Intel board has the same problem or not.

As far as the ST296N is concerned. I still have it (I ended up upgrading to a
25MHz 386 mother board) and I hate it. There's been a lot of talk about the
ST296N a couple months ago in this group.  The major downfall of the drive is
that Seagate slowed it down to work better with Macs. This means you have to
format the drive at a 2:1 interleave, severely crippling the speed of the drive.
(i.e. 1/2 max transfer rate).  Seagate will change the ROMs on the drive so you
can format at 1:1, but it takes two weeks and you don't get the same drive back.

--
Scott Bostater      GTRI/RAIL/RAD   (Ga. Tech)
"My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him"  -Ps 62.1

bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) (01/20/90)

In article <2590@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>, kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) writes:
> In article <1400021@hp-ptp.HP.COM> pault@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Paul_Taira) writes:
> >      I have an IBM (real) PC-XT with a Seagate ST-225 hard disk.  I need
> >      I visited a local
> >      computer store and I was told that I could not put more than
> >      30MB on my system since it is an XT with an 8-bit bus.  Is this
> >      true
>
> This is hogwash, I added a 60 meg Micropolis drive to my XT clone (which
> had a Western Digital eight bit controller) and it worked just fine.

Quite true - the XT bus can certainly handle disks of essentially _any_
size:  it isn't the bus that is the problem.  It's hard to believe that
someone at a computer store would make such a mistake, but I suppose it
can happen.  The problem, as Kaleb implies but does not explicitly state,
is that many older XT disk _controllers_ can't handle very many disk
sizes, and many of them assume that for relatively low-end machines you
wouldn't _want_ very big disks anyway, so the controller doesn't have the
support for big disks.

If you give it even a minimal amount of thought, the absurdity of the
idea of the XT's bus not being able to handle big disk drives is obvious -
the only time the disk size makes any difference is in specifying the
disk address (cyl, track, sector) which is usually done in I/O space, not
in memory space;  the memory addressing limitations of the XT don't even
enter into the picture.  There _are_ some problems taking advantage of
_high performance_ disk drives on the XT, where the width/speed of the
bus would be a handicap to using the drive as effectively as one would
like (you may not be able to use that nice fast drive with a 1:1 inter-
leave factor, you might have to settle for 1:3 or 1:5 which for a fast
drive might not be great but which would still not be all that bad),
but the drive would still _work_ if you got a controller to support it.

						Bruce C. Wright

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (01/20/90)

In article <7565@shlump.nac.dec.com> simon@hpstek.dec.com (Curiosier and curiosier...) writes:

>In article <1400021@hp-ptp.HP.COM>, pault@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Paul_Taira) writes...
>
>...I run Maxtor 2190(?) 127 Mb partitioned on my 3 year old XT
>clone.  Actually, with a modern controller I could get 159 Mb, but my
>controller BIOS knows only about 1024 cylinder, while the drive has 1124
>cyl.

If that "modern controller" were an Adaptec 2372B (or C I think they're up
to now?) you could get

	1224 x 15 x 26 x 512 = 244+ Megabytes of FORMATTED capacity
	 ^\    ^\   ^\    ^\
          |      |    |     |
          |      |    |     +-- bytes/sector
          |      |    |
          |      |    +--RLL sectors/track
          |      |
          |      +-- heads (or tracks/cylinder)

          +-- cylinders (sector translation allows DOS to access more
		than it's 10-bit = 1024 cylinder limit)

Other manufacturer's controllers may also have the sector translation
capability: my experience is limited - due to good results: why fix what
ain't broken - to Adaptec.

The MAXTOR drives, while not specified to accommodate RLL, are high quality
products and exceed the manufacturer's specifications in this regard.  We
regularly use Maxtor XT-1085's as "standard issue" in this same configuration
and also have many XT-2190's so used.

kEITHe

simon@hpstek.dec.com (Curiosier and curiosier...) (01/20/90)

In article <6706@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM>, keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) writes...

>The MAXTOR drives, while not specified to accommodate RLL, are high quality
>products and exceed the manufacturer's specifications in this regard.  We
>regularly use Maxtor XT-1085's as "standard issue" in this same configuration
>and also have many XT-2190's so used.

127 Mb that I get from an MFM controller is more then enough for home
use.  I tend to agree with a view that if a drive is not specified as
RLL, I better leave it as MFM.

---