[comp.sys.ibm.pc] USING TWO GRAPHICS CARDS IN A COMPAQ 386/25

trejo@nprdc.arpa (Leonard J. Trejo) (12/23/89)

We're trying to use two graphics cards in a Compaq 386/25 computer
running MS-DOS 3.1.  One card is the Compaq Video Graphics Controller
(VGA-compatible) and the other is the Compaq Video Display Controller
(CGA-compatible).  We'd like to use, simultaneously, the VGA for
graphics-only display purposes only and the CGA as a text-only
console which echoes keyboard input.  Problem is that despite our
best efforts, graphics always go to the CGA card.  I'm told that
this is because VGA and CGA screen memory overlap, plus that
whenever another graphics card is installed with the Compaq VGA,
graphics are forced to go to the other card and the VGA runs in
monochrome mode.

Compaq service reps. have not been helpful at all.

Anyone out there have some words of wisdom for us?  We'd appreciate
them greatly.

				Sincerely,

				L. J. T.

ARPANET : trejo@nprdc.navy.mil		UUCP:  ucsd!nprdc!trejo

U.S. Mail: Leonard J. Trejo, Ph. D.	Phone: (619) 553-7711
	   Neuroscience Laboratory		(AV) 553-7711
	   NPRDC, Code 141
	   San Diego, CA 92152-6800

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (12/24/89)

In article <5209@arctic.nprdc.arpa> trejo@nprdc.arpa (Leonard J. Trejo) writes:
<
<We're trying to use two graphics cards in a Compaq 386/25 computer
<running MS-DOS 3.1.  One card is the Compaq Video Graphics Controller
<(VGA-compatible) and the other is the Compaq Video Display Controller
<(CGA-compatible).  We'd like to use, simultaneously, the VGA for
<graphics-only display purposes only and the CGA as a text-only
<console which echoes keyboard input.  Problem is that despite our
<best efforts, graphics always go to the CGA card.  I'm told that
<this is because VGA and CGA screen memory overlap, plus that
<whenever another graphics card is installed with the Compaq VGA,
<graphics are forced to go to the other card and the VGA runs in
<monochrome mode.

You have been told correctly.  You can only run a monochrome and a color card
in the same system.  Both the VGA and CGA use the same memory mapped space and
control registers (CGA is a sub-set of VGA cards).

You are SOL.
--
                harvard\     att!nicmad\
Vidiot            ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (12/24/89)

trejo@nprdc.arpa (Leonard J. Trejo) writes:

>We're trying to use two graphics cards in a Compaq 386/25 computer
>running MS-DOS 3.1.  One card is the Compaq Video Graphics Controller
>(VGA-compatible) and the other is the Compaq Video Display Controller
>(CGA-compatible).  We'd like to use, simultaneously, the VGA for
>graphics-only display purposes only and the CGA as a text-only
>console which echoes keyboard input.  Problem is that despite our
>best efforts, graphics always go to the CGA card.  I'm told that
>this is because VGA and CGA screen memory overlap, plus that
>whenever another graphics card is installed with the Compaq VGA,
>graphics are forced to go to the other card and the VGA runs in
>monochrome mode.

Sorry, but you *can't* do it with the setup you have. Everything from the
BIOS level up is against you. The PC was designed to allow two displays,
one color, one monochrome. Even the video modes in the BIOS are set up
like this. Mode 7 is the *only* mode that you can't put the VGA in.

So what you need to do is take out the Compaq CGA-clone and dig up an old
IBM Monochrome Display Adapter. Then it'll work. You *may* be able to get
by with a Hercules clone card, but they do use some memory that overlaps
the CGA area.

I'm typing this from an XT clone with both a Hercules card and a VGA card.
It works fine. I can't put the VGA into any of the monochrome modes, but
I don't need to.

An IBM MDA ought to be locatable for $25 or so, and the monitor (assuming
that you don't already have one will run about $75)

--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]

bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) (12/28/89)

In article <5209@arctic.nprdc.arpa>, trejo@nprdc.arpa (Leonard J. Trejo) writes:
> We're trying to use two graphics cards in a Compaq 386/25 computer
> running MS-DOS 3.1.  One card is the Compaq Video Graphics Controller
> (VGA-compatible) and the other is the Compaq Video Display Controller
> (CGA-compatible).  We'd like to use, simultaneously, the VGA for
> graphics-only display purposes only and the CGA as a text-only
> console which echoes keyboard input.  Problem is that despite our
> best efforts, graphics always go to the CGA card.  I'm told that
> this is because VGA and CGA screen memory overlap, plus that
> whenever another graphics card is installed with the Compaq VGA,
> graphics are forced to go to the other card and the VGA runs in
> monochrome mode.

You can install an MDA or a Hercules card, as some have noted, at
least with a few VGA boards (this is more commonly done with EGA,
I'm not sure it's "officially" supported for VGA).

There are also a few companies that sell video cards that can be
configured to allow multiple EGA or multiple VGA cards in the same
machine at the same time (I've seen it done, but don't remember the
company names offhand).  The cards work by a variation on a bank-
switching scheme:  an extra, nonstandard register exists which tells
the graphics cards which one is to be the currently active card.  This
allows the vast majority of standard PC software to be run on the cards
without modifications.

You probably can't do anything like that with the Compaq cards unless
you can figure out a way to retrofit such a scheme onto the cards, and
this is unlikely and would require significant hardware expertise.

Be warned that the cards I've heard about that allow this sort of
thing are *expensive* - I seem to remember that they retailed for around
$1000.  Lots cheaper than a second PC though, if you are running them in
a fast 386 with lots of disk space.  The computer I saw them on was a
Compaq 386, BTW ...

						Bruce C. Wright

akcs.amparsonjr@vpnet.UUCP (Anthony M. Parson, Jr.) (01/06/90)

Speaking of running mono with color, I also have a question:
In running mono + ega/vga, will  hercules-type board work?  I had assumed
(haven't tried this yet, but I want to use 2 monitors with Codeview)
that only a MDA (Ibm mono without ability to display graphics) was the
required mono card.  Can the graphics part of Hercules-graphics cards be
turned off???

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (01/20/90)

akcs.amparsonjr@vpnet.UUCP (Anthony M. Parson, Jr.) writes:

>Speaking of running mono with color, I also have a question:
>In running mono + ega/vga, will  hercules-type board work?  I had assumed
>(haven't tried this yet, but I want to use 2 monitors with Codeview)
>that only a MDA (Ibm mono without ability to display graphics) was the
>required mono card.  Can the graphics part of Hercules-graphics cards be
>turned off???

I am happily running a Hercules card with a VGA card. There are 3 possible
configurations for real Hercules cards an most clones.
1. DIAG (looks like an MDA to the system)
2. HALF (only use memory from B000-B7FF)
3. FULL (use all memory on card, B000-BFFF)

Hercules cards come with a utility (HGC.COM) for setting these modes. Most
clone cards do too. Half mode is compatible with EGA/VGA as when they detect
a mono board, they don't use the B000-B7FF area anyway. So this means you
can use the first of the two graphics screens available on the Hercules card.

If you have a VGA that will let you disable it through software, you can
use both screens. My VGA board does (probably because it was made by
Hercules :-).

So I have a pair of batch files:
MONO.BAT
mode mono