[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Null Modem

robert4@garfield.UUCP (Robert Pitt) (03/19/88)

Does anyone have the proper wiring for a 9-pin RS232 null modem??
I know the configuration for a 25-pin NM, but don't know which
pins become which in a 9-pin cable.

Many thanks,
Rob
robert4@garfield.UUCP                    R.D. Pitt
rpitt@mun.bitnet                         English Department
robert4@.mun.cdn                         Memorial University
rpitt@kean.mun.cdn                       St. John's, Newfoundland
70721,320 CIS                            CANADA, A1C 5S7

W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA (Keith Petersen) (03/20/88)

From the archives at SIMTEL20...

		 A p p l i c a t i o n	   N O T E

Following  is a schematic diagram for the construction of a cable
which connects the PC/AT's 9-pin serial I/O port to devices using
a standard DB-25-pin connector:

	  AT Serial	     Name	      DB-25 connector
	       1	      CD		       8
	       2	      RD		       3
	       3	      TD		       2
	       4	      DTR		       20
	       5	      SG		       7
	       6	      DSR		       6
	       7	      RTS		       4
	       8	      CTS		       5
	       9	      RI		       22

--Keith Petersen
Arpa: W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA
Uucp: {decwrl,harvard,lll-crg,ucbvax,uunet,uw-beaver}!simtel20.arpa!w8sdz
GEnie: W8SDZ

wall-rt@cscosl.ncsu.edu (Richard Todd Wall) (01/17/90)

     I have an IBM PC XT clone running MSDOS 3.3.  I've been trying to
connect my PC to a terminal I have in my room but I can't even get it
to direct output out to the terminal.  I have done
MODE COM1:1200,E,7,1   and that works ok, but when I type
DIR >COM1              it gives a write fault writing device error.

     Could someone please tell my how my null modem cable should be
set up??  I've tried 3 different configurations so I'm open to
suggestions.   Thanks.

                                   - Todd Wall -

wall-rt@cscosl.ncsu.edu

lance@helios.ucsc.edu (Lance Bresee) (01/18/90)

In article <1990Jan17.153819.12882@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> wall-rt@cscosl.UUCP (Richard Todd Wall) writes:
>     Could someone please tell my how my null modem cable should be
>set up??  I've tried 3 different configurations so I'm open to
>suggestions.   Thanks.

Basically, you need to swap pins 2 and 3.  You need to have pins 7 and 1
for signal and chassis ground respectively.  Now the fun starts!  The rest
depends on the handshake or control system your terminal requires, and the
dtr/cts system IBM uses.  It may be that your terminal uses xon/xoff protocal,
and generates NO control signals.  In such a case, you have to dummy them out
on your cable by connecting the output control lines from the PC to the input.
Also, you have to get xon/xoff for your PC.  There were a series of articles
on how to do this on the net a while back, and some assembler source.  We copied
it and have been successfully running a laser printer using xon/xoff for some
time.
Check the IBM technical reference for better data on IBM's required control
lines.  Check your monitors manual for the proper protocall to use.

lance

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (01/20/90)

In article <1990Jan17.153819.12882@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> wall-rt@cscosl.UUCP (Richard Todd Wall) writes:

>     I have an IBM PC XT clone running MSDOS 3.3.  I've been trying to
>connect my PC to a terminal I have in my room but I can't even get it
>to direct output out to the terminal.  I have done
>MODE COM1:1200,E,7,1   and that works ok, but when I type
>DIR >COM1              it gives a write fault writing device error.

I'll suggest the obvious here.  It doesn't matter what your mode statement
is.  The important thing is that it match your terminal.

>     Could someone please tell my how my null modem cable should be
>set up??  I've tried 3 different configurations so I'm open to
>suggestions.   Thanks.

    1 --- 1
    2 --- 3
    3 --- 2
    4 --- 5
    5 --- 4
    6 --- 20
   20 --- 6
    7 --- 7

In some cases you may have to tie 6 & 8 on the same end together as well.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |   Thank goodness we don't get all
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   the government we pay for.