[comp.sys.ibm.pc] NEC Multisync monitor and VGA connector

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury) (01/20/90)

> I have the original NEC Multisync monitor whose video cable is not compatible
> with the connector used in VGA adapters. NEC sells an attachment that will
> convert the pinouts used in the VGA to the ones used by the NEC video cable.
> However this part costs $49 ! That seems too expensive for something that
> seems to be basically a cross-wiring gizmo. Does anyone out there know of
> any vendors or suppliers that might supply their own version of this cable ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> /Ashok Nadkarni
> Digital Equipment Corp.

I also have the same setup.  I purchased a Willow VGA-TV and inside it was a
15 pin connector.  I just purchased some multistrand cable and a 9 pin D
connector and set to wiring it myself from the pin diagrams in the NEC manual
and the Willow manual.  Works like a charm.

If you don't want to do it yourself (it's easy) you can give a company by the
name of Redmond Cable a call at 206/882-2009 and they will probably have a
cable in stock or they will make it custom for you.  Most of their prices are
reasonable and I wouldn't expect you'd pay any more than say $25 for such a
adapter cable.

-- Bob

InterNet: bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com          |       ProLine: bobl@pro-graphics
    UUCP: ..crash!pro-graphics!bobl          |        CServe: 70347,2344
ARPA/DDN: ..crash!pro-graphics!bobl@nosc.mil |  Amer. Online: Graphics3D
            Raven Enterprises - 25 Raven Ave. Piscataway, NJ 08854