[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Gateway 2000's and Windows/386

msewil@uncecs.edu (Charles R. Ward) (01/17/90)

     We are interested in purchasing several Gateway 2000 computers.
The specific models are: 386/20 (no cache), 386/20 (cache), 386/25
(cache).  I would like to know if anyone has experienced problems with
any of these models running Windows/386.  We are particularly
interested in running molecular modeling software in the background
under Windows/386 while doing other business.  I would appreciate
hearing any "war stories" related to this hardware/software combo.
Thanks in advance.

Dick Ward
Science/Math Education Center
UNC-Wilmington

tt3x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (01/21/90)

In article <1990Jan17.025135.3281@uncecs.edu>, msewil@uncecs.edu (Charles R. Ward) writes:
>      We are interested in purchasing several Gateway 2000 computers.
> The specific models are: 386/20 (no cache), 386/20 (cache), 386/25
> (cache).  I would like to know if anyone has experienced problems with
> any of these models running Windows/386.  We are particularly
> interested in running molecular modeling software in the background
> under Windows/386 while doing other business.  I would appreciate
> hearing any "war stories" related to this hardware/software combo.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Dick Ward
> Science/Math Education Center
> UNC-Wilmington

	Most 386 clones out on the market today have no problems running
software such as Windows/386 so you shouldn't have to worry about
compatibility.  The only advice I have to offer is that you make sure you
buy enough RAM to be able to run what you want.  Microsoft Windows/386 requires
at least 2 mb to run at bare minimum.  For your uses, you would probably need
at least 4 to run two applications at once.  Bear in mind though that even
a 25 megahertz 386 with cache can be slow when multitasking...

	If you want one of the best DOS multitasking programs out at this
moment, I would recommend that you look into VM/386 by IGC software.  This
piece of software, although not a windowed environment, allows you to create
real virtual machines capable of running isolated applications that are
virtually crashproof.