[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Desqview on AMI 386-25 with shadowing

akcs.amparsonjr@vpnet.UUCP (Anthony M. Parson, Jr.) (01/17/90)

Re: help in setting up AMI 386-25 with Desqview

I have an AMI (American Megatrends) 386 Mark II motherboard (25 mhz,64k
cache, 4 meg RAM, AMI BIOS (dated 04/__/89), and Chips and Tech support
chips)

I read an earlier thread on the net, which I haven't been able to implement,
as I write, below.

In trying to get DV set up to allow several large programs to run, I can't
get even one large program, on the order of, say, Ventura Publisher to
run.  DV error message says only 402K available, and Ventura needs 460K
plus 9K overhead.  Similar message if I try Generic Cadd ("needs 400K
plus 9K overhead") under DV.  With only MS (the DV memory status program)
running under DV, I show the following:

                Common Memory   17408   13936   13926
                Convent. Mem     402K    394K    394K       386, 3+ meg EXT
                Expandd. Mem    2960K   2960K    400K

The above is using the "normal" DV driver, DV.EXE, and QEMM.with defaults.

((In an XT clone, with 1 meg of Intel expanded memory, I actually can run
larger programs under DV (with "normal" DV.EXE and of course, no QEMM),
than I can with the 386:

                Common Memory   xxxxx   xxxxx   xxxxx
                Convent. Mem     xxxK    403K    403K       XT, 1 meg EXP
                Expandd. Mem    xxxxK   xxxxK    xxxK

The above is also using the "normal" DV driver, DV.EXE.))

In trying to get larger programs to run under DV, I studied the manual
and tried to use XDV, to move part of DV in expanded memory and allow
larger programs to run in conventional and expanded memory.

HERE IS PART OF THE PROBLEM: The manual refers to DV.COM and DV.EXE
and to XDV.COM and XDV.EXE. (see page 10 of DV manual, vs page 139
in appendix B of same manual) I only have DV.EXE and XDV.COM !  [My
manual says you can use only up to 8 meg with EMS, but that's another
story]

If I rename XDV.COM to DV.COM, I get error message "cannot find DV.EXE".
If I rename XDV.COM to DV.EXE, I get error message "cannot load DV.EXE"..

My original files are XDV.COM     9055 bytes dated 11/7/88
                  and  DV.EXE   127921 bytes dated 11/7/88
Both are located in the \DV subdirectory.
DV version is 4.2_;QEMM version is 2.22. (going from memory, not 100% sure)
INSTQEMM doesn't proceed since it is greater than version 2.0.

1)  What else can I do/try to load programs larger than 394K?
I remember reading about some program that motherboards using C & T
shadowing could use to improve something or other.  Was it to help
Lotus 1-2-3 v3.0, Desqview, or ???  Was it `386 to the max'?
I don't know what the current version of DV386 is.
Have they fixed this problem through DV or is there a work-around for
older DV386 versions?

I guess part of the problem is the Chips & Tech use of memory.
In not shadowing VIDEO, I get more extended RAM available for use
(which could be transformed by QEMM), but this does not help the lower 640K.
In addition the AMI manual indicates that the BIOS shadowing CANNOT
be turned off in any event. So, with nearly 3 meg available, I can't
load programs larger than approx 394K - 9K =385K; although I can load
a bunch of the smaller ones...

I'll leave this posted on several boards and nets.  Thanks for any light
that can be shed on this.  I have looked over previous, similar messages
that mention the "XDV renamed to DV" and can't get it to work.

                Compuserve: 73336.1667
              via Unix net: akcs.amparsonjr@vpnet.uucp

dhinds@portia.Stanford.EDU (David Hinds) (01/21/90)

In article <25b336f3:4213comp.sys.ibm.pc@vpnet.UUCP>, akcs.amparsonjr@vpnet.UUCP (Anthony M. Parson, Jr.) writes:
> In trying to get DV set up to allow several large programs to run, I can't
> get even one large program, on the order of, say, Ventura Publisher to
> run.  DV error message says only 402K available, and Ventura needs 460K
> plus 9K overhead.  Similar message if I try Generic Cadd ("needs 400K
> plus 9K overhead") under DV.  With only MS (the DV memory status program)
> running under DV, I show the following:
>
>                 Common Memory   17408   13936   13926
>                 Convent. Mem     402K    394K    394K       386, 3+ meg EXT
>                 Expandd. Mem    2960K   2960K    400K
>
> The above is using the "normal" DV driver, DV.EXE, and QEMM.with defaults.
>
> HERE IS PART OF THE PROBLEM: The manual refers to DV.COM and DV.EXE
> and to XDV.COM and XDV.EXE. (see page 10 of DV manual, vs page 139
> in appendix B of same manual) I only have DV.EXE and XDV.COM !  [My
> manual says you can use only up to 8 meg with EMS, but that's another
> story]
    Desqvview looks in the current directory for its files, so before
running DV you must move to c:\dv, or whatever.  I assume from your results
that you have the desqview directory in your path, which is not good enough.
If you run XDV from another directory, letting the path find it, it will
look for DV.EXE in the current directory and fail to find it.  You need
to rename XDV.COM to DV.COM.  Then, if you are in the dv directory, typing
'dv' will cause DOS to load DV.COM, and DV.COM will load DV.EXE into
expanded memory and memory mapped above 640K.  Depending on how much high
memory has been mapped by QEMM above 640K, XDV can map all of desqview out
of the lower 640K.
    I found that turning off all sorts of hardware shadowing, and using
QEMM to shadow ROM's, is a good thing to do.  My system (a 386SX with an
Intel/Zymos chipset) shadowed ROM's in 128K blocks, regardless of their
actual size.  QEMM recovered all the empty space the board was mindlessly
shadowing.  I have lots of drivers and things mapped above 640K using
'loadhi', so there isn't that much room for desqview, but according to 'MS'
my largest windows can be about 530K.

 -David Hinds
  dhinds@portia.stanford.edu