[comp.sys.ibm.pc] HP Laserjet IIP

DLV101@PSUVM.BITNET (Dwaine L. VanBibber) (09/21/89)

I just saw an advertisement for a the new HP LaserJet IIP.  I've been
dying to buy a laserprinter for home/personal use but couldn't justify the
expense.  This printer lists for $1495, has 14 internal fonts, handles four
different paper sizes, runs portrait or landscape, 512K memory (upgradeable
to 4.5 Mbytes).  I doubt its in stores yet, but sounds VERY impressive.
I am interested in finding out whether it is HPGL compatible, and if it is a
300dpi printer.  Any questions or comments?  -Dwaine

wek@point.UUCP (Bill Kuykendall) (09/22/89)

>I am interested in finding out whether it is HPGL compatible, and if it is a
>300dpi printer.  Any questions or comments?  -Dwaine

Yes to both.  The local mailorder place got 843 of them Friday.  I called on
Monday -- much too late to get one!

jmcvey@hpdml93.HP.COM (John McVey) (09/22/89)

Laserjet IIP does not speak HPGL.  It is 300dpi.

John McVey
HP Laserjet Lab
jmcvey%hpbslq@hplabs.hp.com

jsa00564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (09/23/89)

/* Written 11:20 pm  Sep 20, 1989 by DLV101@PSUVM.BITNET in uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.ibm.pc */
/* ---------- "HP LaserJet IIP" ---------- */
I just saw an advertisement for a the new HP LaserJet IIP.  I've been
dying to buy a laserprinter for home/personal use but couldn't justify the
expense.  This printer lists for $1495, has 14 internal fonts, handles four
different paper sizes, runs portrait or landscape, 512K memory (upgradeable
to 4.5 Mbytes).  I doubt its in stores yet, but sounds VERY impressive.
I am interested in finding out whether it is HPGL compatible, and if it is a
300dpi printer.  Any questions or comments?  -Dwaine
/* End of text from uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.ibm.pc */

You might consider looking at the HP Deskjet Plus, which retails for $999
and sells at a street price of around $700.  The DJ+ is not a laser
printer, but rather an ink jet.  Now wait, hold on... I bought one because
the output is almost indentical to that of a LJII.  The printer prints
at a top resolution of 300dpi, just like the laserjet.
  Although the new LJIIP is only $1495, you still have to buy 2MB of
memory to get full-page 300dpi graphics.  With the deskjet, the computer
and software do all the imaging (of course, the deskjet prints slower than
a LJ, but full-page graphics seem don't seem to take too much longer than
the LJ).  Also, the DJ+ has two font cart. slots that can be used for
either cart. fonts, soft font memory modules, or even an Epson FX emulation
cart.  The IIP on the other hand, has only one font slot.  (The IIP uses
the standard LJ carts, while the DJ+ has its own set).
  I'd assume that the IIP is HPGL compatible, and I know it is a 300dpi
printer.  But the DJ+ has these features as well, and by the time you
buy the extra memory for the IIP, the DJ+ will be about $1000 cheaper....

Jeff Autor
jsa00564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
At the University of Illinois

KDM101@PSUVM.BITNET (Kevin Maher) (09/23/89)

I recently read an article in MIS Week about the new IIp printer.  It is
fully compatible with all other Series II printers.  It comes with 512K of
RAM standard and is upgradeable to 4.5MB with the same mem. boards that fit
the regular series II.  Standard font carts will also fit.  The only major
difference is that it only runs at 4 PPM.  This is due to the new Canon laser
engine inside.  It's much smaller and cheaper, but not as fast.  However,
if you want that wonderful laser quality at a reasonable price (it should sell
for under 1K by mail order) you can't lose!

royf@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Roy Frederick) (09/24/89)

In article <[2100.1]comp.ibmpc;1@point.UUCP>, wek@point.UUCP (Bill Kuykendall) writes:
> >I am interested in finding out whether it is HPGL compatible, and if it is a
> >300dpi printer.  Any questions or comments?  -Dwaine

The HPLJ IIP is not HPGL compatible.  Niether is the HP LJ II.  HPGL is
HP's plotter language.  You can get a cartridge from Pacific Data ("Plotter
in a Cartridge") that will allow you to send plotter output to the HPLJ II.
This cartridge may also work on the HPLJ IIP.  Contact Pacific Data to be
sure.

The HPLJ II's native language is called PCL.  The IIP is compatible with
PCL.

Roy Frederick (royf@attctc.UUCP)
Dallas County Data Services  (214) 749-6340
504 Records Bldg.
Dallas, TX 75202

ilan343@violet.berkeley.edu (09/25/89)

In article <111700148@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> jsa00564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>/* Written 11:20 pm  Sep 20, 1989 by DLV101@PSUVM.BITNET in uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.ibm.pc */
>/* ---------- "HP LaserJet IIP" ---------- */
>I just saw an advertisement for a the new HP LaserJet IIP.  I've been
>dying to buy a laserprinter for home/personal use but couldn't justify the
>expense.  This printer lists for $1495, has 14 internal fonts, handles four
>different paper sizes, runs portrait or landscape, 512K memory (upgradeable
>to 4.5 Mbytes).  I doubt its in stores yet, but sounds VERY impressive.
>I am interested in finding out whether it is HPGL compatible, and if it is a
>300dpi printer.  Any questions or comments?  -Dwaine
>/* End of text from uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.ibm.pc */
>
>You might consider looking at the HP Deskjet Plus, which retails for $999
>and sells at a street price of around $700.  The DJ+ is not a laser
>printer, but rather an ink jet.  Now wait, hold on... I bought one because
>the output is almost indentical to that of a LJII.  The printer prints
>at a top resolution of 300dpi, just like the laserjet.
>  Although the new LJIIP is only $1495, you still have to buy 2MB of
>memory to get full-page 300dpi graphics.  With the deskjet, the computer
>and software do all the imaging (of course, the deskjet prints slower than
>a LJ, but full-page graphics seem don't seem to take too much longer than
>the LJ).  Also, the DJ+ has two font cart. slots that can be used for
>either cart. fonts, soft font memory modules, or even an Epson FX emulation
>cart.  The IIP on the other hand, has only one font slot.  (The IIP uses
>the standard LJ carts, while the DJ+ has its own set).

Can the DeskJet + use the same downloadable fonts as the LJII ?
I was under the impression it can't. This is a fundamental difference
in capability between the two printers. The LJII even with 512K is a
very usable printer for Desktop publishing .  I've seen it used with
TeX and Ventura with very good results, using downloadble fonts.

If the street price of the LJIIP falls under $1000.OO, I don't see how
the DeskJets can compete.

jdm@hodge.UUCP (jdm) (09/25/89)

In article <111700148@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, jsa00564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> You might consider looking at the HP Deskjet Plus, which retails for $999
> and sells at a street price of around $700.  The DJ+ is not a laser
> printer, but rather an ink jet.  Now wait, hold on... I bought one because
> the output is almost indentical to that of a LJII.  The printer prints
> at a top resolution of 300dpi, just like the laserjet.

	We decided for the LaserJet and against the DeskJet because:

	1) The ink cartridges for the DJ are about $20/each and will
	   print 1000 pages.  The toner cartridges for the LJ are
	   about $75/each and will do 5000 pages.  A bit of a savings.

	2) The DJ suffers from "wettness" if a large, dark area is
	   printed on the paper.  As the ink dries the paper wrinkles
	   and looks bad.  The LJ ink may smear when very hot (as most
	   laser printer toner does), but this is usually not a
	   problem if you don't grab the paper as it is comming out
	   of the LJ.

	3) Graphics are much faster on the LJ than the DJ.  I haven't
	   compared it to the DJ Plus yet.

--

"I'm an anthropologist, not a computer systems architect, damit!"

jdm@hodge.cts.com [uunet zardoz crash]!hodge!jdm

James D. Murray, Ethnounixologist	TEL: (714) 998-7750 Ext. 129
Hodge Computer Research Corporation	FAX: (714) 921-8038
1588 North Batavia Street
Orange, California 92667  USA

kgordon@brandx.rutgers.edu (Ken Gordon) (09/25/89)

I recently called the local Hewlett-Packard Authorized Dealer for some
information about the II P.  According to the dealer, it does NOT use
the same memory card that the series II uses.  Any potential buyers
shouldd look into this carefully.  I just put 2 Meg into my series II
for $319 plus tax.  The local HP dealer wants $396 for one Meg of
memory  for the II P.  Look before you leap.

---Ken Gordon (kgordon@brandx.rutgers.edu)

kgordon@brandx.rutgers.edu (Ken Gordon) (09/25/89)

Every body seems to throw up the List Price of $1495 for the II P and
then compares it to the deskjet.  The local HP Authorized Dealer
aroundd here is selling the thing for $969.  When you talk about that
kind of price for a laser printer, it seems to make the deskjet a moot
point.

---Ken Gordon (kgordon@brandx.rutgers.edu)

boba@hpwarau.hp.com (Bob Alexander) (09/25/89)

Now that some people have said that the LaserJet IIP supports HPGL, and
some have said it doesn't, let me clear things up.

HP-GL is HP's Graphics Language which is used by our plotters.  No
basic LaserJet supports it (there are products available that convert
HP-GL to the LaserJet's language.)

HP PCL is our Printer Control Language.  All LaserJets, DeskJets,
ThinkJets, QuietJets, PaintJets and Boeing 747 Jets support it.

  Bob Alexander      | Engineering: How To Be A Nerd For Fun And Profit
  boba@hpwala.hp.com |
  -------------------+---------------------------------------------------
  Organizations don't have opinions: individuals do.  The opinions expressed
  above do not necessarily reflect those of the stockholders, employees, or
  directors of Hewlett-Packard.

schuster@dasys1.UUCP (Michael Schuster) (10/01/89)

In article <89266.113409KDM101@PSUVM.BITNET> KDM101@PSUVM.BITNET (Kevin Maher) writes:
>I recently read an article in MIS Week about the new IIp printer.  It is
>fully compatible with all other Series II printers.  It comes with 512K of

I've read a rumor on a local BBS that Pacific Data's Postscript
emulation cartridge will _not_ work on the IIp! Is this true?
So much for LaserJet compatilibity!

--
l\  /l'   _  Mike Schuster          ...!dasys1!schuster
l \/ lll/(_  Big Electric Cat       schuster@dasys1.UUCP   CIS:70346,1745

osborne@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Alex Osborne) (10/02/89)

>>I recently read an article in MIS Week about the new IIp printer.  It is
>>fully compatible with all other Series II printers.  It comes with 512K

  The HP LJ IIP is not quite Series II compatible. It does come
with 512K, but you'll need 1024 to print a full page at 300dpi.

>I've read a rumor on a local BBS that Pacific Data's Postscript
>emulation cartridge will _not_ work on the IIp! Is this true?
>So much for LaserJet compatilibity!

  Exactly. PDP says the IIP Postscript cartridge will not be ready
until early 1990! When it comes out this will be _the_ printer!

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (10/04/89)

In article <31639@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> osborne@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Alex Osborne) writes:

>  Exactly. PDP says the IIP Postscript cartridge will not be ready
>until early 1990! When it comes out this will be _the_ printer!

Remember, though, that the cartridge doesn't use "real" Adobe Postscript
but an emulation of (most of) it. And as such, I believe that it won't
support Adobe fonts and perhaps a number of other things. Just things
to look for.

--
          Robert Claeson      E-mail: rclaeson@erbe.se
	  ERBE DATA AB

leung@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (Bruce Leung) (01/12/90)

For those of you who have a IIP, how do you like it?  Do you find
yourself wishing it were faster?  I'll be using this at home, but
when I do print it'll probably be in batches of about 50 pages or
so.  Any pros and cons would be appreciated.

Oh yeah, anybody want to buy an IBM Proprinter X24?  It's about 2
years old but hardly used (still on original ribbon).  Say, $300?

Bruce Leung                     leung@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu
University of Illinois          {seismo,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!uicsrd!leung

Mind if I smoke?  No.  Mind if I burp pastrami belches in your face?

ries@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Marc Ries) (01/12/90)

In article <1990Jan11.205012.24999@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> leung@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (Bruce Leung) writes:
>For those of you who have a IIP, how do you like it?  Do you find
>yourself wishing it were faster?  I'll be using this at home, but
>when I do print it'll probably be in batches of about 50 pages or
>so.  Any pros and cons would be appreciated.

  I have had for for a couple of weeks.  The print quality is excellent!
  The HP LJII emulation is, well, identical.

  In "text" mode, it prints very quick.  In graphics mode, it's a ssslooopoke...

  The "laserTorq"-style laser spoolers are supposed to really help, but then
  they may not be compatible with your other applications (like Windows).
  On other hand, Windows is slow to begin with, anyway.

  Also, the 512K memory is barely adaquate (unless 150x150DPI is adaquate),
  but "discount" memory for the IIP is running about $250+/Mb.  I picked up
  one locally for $950 w/toner.

--
Marc Ries
           ries@venice.sedd.trw.com     (ARPA)

akcs.amparsonjr@vpnet.UUCP (Anthony M. Parson, Jr.) (01/19/90)

I've had mine also for a few weeks.  Electek in Chicago has it still for
$995,
incl toner, dust cover.  In moving up from an original Proprinter, I'm
greatly impressed with things I can do with Wordperfect.  It is slow when
doing graphics, and even some text (a "print screen" is not as instantaneous
as was on the Proprinter).  I suggest you download PC Mag's improved
Laserlst.com (to fit two full pages sideways in lineprinter font) and
keep the Proprinter (you've got to use up all that tractor-feed paper you
stockpiled when there was a sale, don't you?) and swap LPT1 and LPT2
with a port swap program, to switch back and forth with your printers...

  |          STANDARD DISCLAIMER:        |
  |  "... on the other hand, some very   |   UUCP: akcs.amparsonjr@vpnet.uucp
  |  knowledgable people may justifiably |
  |  disagree with my comments, in whole |   C-serve: 73336,1667
  |  or in part ... "                    |

wales@valeria.cs.ucla.edu (Rich Wales) (01/20/90)

My new (month-old) HP LaserJet IIP died earlier this month with an
"Error 50" on the display panel.

When I took it in for repair, the repair person said that *lots* of
IIP's have been dying in the same way.  Apparently one production run
of triacs (AC switching components) which HP put in IIP power supplies
was marginal.  When the triac blows, it can take the printer's fuser
assembly with it.  They had another IIP in their repair shop already,
with the same problem.

It took about a week for them to repair the printer; most of this time
was spent waiting for the necessary parts to arrive.  In my case, the
fuser assembly had to be replaced, in addition to the defective triac.

The repair person said that since the new triac was not from the defec-
tive lot :-}, I should not expect the same problem to occur again.

Except for this one problem, I've been very pleased with my IIP and
would recommend it without hesitation.

-- Rich Wales <wales@CS.UCLA.EDU> // UCLA Computer Science Department
   3531 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, CA 90024-1596 // +1 (213) 825-5683
   "I never lie when I've got sand in my shoes, Commodore."

wayne.ho.@f526.n250.z1.fidonet.org (wayne ho ) (01/22/90)

Hello,
      I was reading your message about your HP Laserjet IIP.  I have heard some nice things about this printer.  My dot matrix printer recently died on me, and I am interested in purchacing a new printer.
      I was curious as to whether or not the IIP had room for those font cartridges that the regular HP Laserjet printers had (ie. it would be able to use that postscript emulation cartridge for example).
      How would you rate this printer against something on the lines of an HP InkJet printer or Painjet printer?

                                       Thanks in advance,
                                          Wayne

--- msged 1.943S ZTC
 * Origin: MeTaStAsIo'S - `Format failure' (416)487-9093  (1:250/526)