[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Multisync 3D user memory

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) (01/16/90)

I have read a couple of times that the Multisync 3D is supposed to be able
to remember settings for centering, image size, etc., and automatically
adjust the size of an image when a program changes video modes.  Mine
doesn't.  Is there some trick to it, or can it really only remember
one setting?  (In particular, I'd like to be able to go from standard
VGA to 800x600 super-VGA and not have the image slide off to the right.)

Duncan Murdoch

pipkins@qmsseq.imagen.com (Jeff Pipkins) (01/17/90)

In article <1290@maytag.waterloo.edu> dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) writes:

>I have read a couple of times that the Multisync 3D is supposed to be able
>to remember settings for centering, image size, etc., and automatically
>adjust the size of an image when a program changes video modes.  Mine
>doesn't.  Is there some trick to it, or can it really only remember
>one setting?  (In particular, I'd like to be able to go from standard
>VGA to 800x600 super-VGA and not have the image slide off to the right.)

I had this problem when I was using an ATI VGA Wonder (version 2 of the
board layout).  I called Gateway since I bought it from them, and they
sent me a new board (version 4 board layout).  I had experienced the
problem when switching to 132x44 character mode and back.  The new board,
due to a bug (says ATI), is not even capable of switching to that mode
at all!  In addition, the ANSI.SYS provided with DOS (ver 4.01) cannot
handle the 132x44 mode.  When you do a dir, it works until you get down
to line 24 or 25 and then you see pretty colors blinking...

So Gateway let me trade the card for an Orchid ProDesigner+.  The 132x44
mode worked perfectly, along with several other text modes (my favorite
is 100x40, and my Brief editor likes it, too).  Also, their EANSI.SYS
driver allowed flawless use of any of the character modes in DOS.

									Can you
									read
									this on
									your
									ATI?

strike@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Strikemaster) (01/20/90)

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) writes:

>I have read a couple of times that the Multisync 3D is supposed to be able
>to remember settings for centering, image size, etc., and automatically
>adjust the size of an image when a program changes video modes.  Mine
>doesn't.  Is there some trick to it, or can it really only remember
>one setting?  (In particular, I'd like to be able to go from standard
>VGA to 800x600 super-VGA and not have the image slide off to the right.)

>Duncan Murdoch

   The Multisync 3D I am using has a small problem with keeping center when
running 132x whatever text mode, but thr erest of the modes center and keep
their memory positions properly.  According to the manual, after about 5
seconds, the memory is supposed to hold whatever setting you have selected.
You can test this by setting a offbeat position of the screen, wait about
ten seconds, then push the reset button on the left side of the positioner
switches.  If the screen jumps, your memory settings are being held.

   The combo I am using is the Multisync 3D and ATI VGA Wonder 512, if this
has anything to do with it.

--
 Tim Bowser  ("Strikemaster")  |  Standard  |  mailrus!sharkey!clmqt!strike
Enterprise Information System  | Disclaimer |  strike@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US

markus@vlsic2.vlsic2.ti.com (Markus N. Richardson) (01/22/90)

pipkins@qmsseq.imagen.com (Jeff Pipkins) writes:
>dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) writes:
>>
>>I have read a couple of times that the Multisync 3D is supposed to be able
>>to remember settings for centering, image size, etc., and automatically
>>adjust the size of an image when a program changes video modes.  Mine
>>doesn't.  Is there some trick to it, or can it really only remember
>>one setting?  (In particular, I'd like to be able to go from standard
>>VGA to 800x600 super-VGA and not have the image slide off to the right.)

[ talks about problems with the original and replacement ATI Wondercard ...]

>So Gateway let me trade the card for an Orchid ProDesigner+.  The 132x44
>mode worked perfectly, along with several other text modes (my favorite
>is 100x40, and my Brief editor likes it, too).  Also, their EANSI.SYS
>driver allowed flawless use of any of the character modes in DOS.

I have the NEC Multisync 3D and an Orchid ProDesigner PLUS.  I have the
same problem the original poster (D. Murdoch) has had about centering
the image on the display and such.  I run this display in 640x480(VGA),
800x400(super-VGA), and 1024x768(hi-res) resolutions.  All of these modes
seem to be shifted to the right (each to different amounts).  I happen
to be running ISC UNIX with the X Window System.  But the "image shifting"
also happens when I have run MSDOS-based PC XSight (by Locus Computing).
Anyone else having these problems?  Better yet, anyone have an answer? :-)

--
Markus R.
markus@ti.com

A .sig file?  I don't have any spare inodes!

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (01/22/90)

In article <106860@ti-csl.csc.ti.com>, markus@vlsic2.vlsic2.ti.com (Markus N. Richardson) wrote:
}pipkins@qmsseq.imagen.com (Jeff Pipkins) writes:
}I have the NEC Multisync 3D and an Orchid ProDesigner PLUS.  I have the
}same problem the original poster (D. Murdoch) has had about centering
}the image on the display and such.  I run this display in 640x480(VGA),
}800x400(super-VGA), and 1024x768(hi-res) resolutions.  All of these modes
}seem to be shifted to the right (each to different amounts).  I happen
}to be running ISC UNIX with the X Window System.  But the "image shifting"
}also happens when I have run MSDOS-based PC XSight (by Locus Computing).
}Anyone else having these problems?  Better yet, anyone have an answer? :-)

A newer BIOS may help.	After Gateway2000 replaced the original ProDesigner
(which flaked out), the 132x* modes became usable without adjusting the
horizontal position on the monitor because the last 20 or so columns would
wrap into the retrace.	The difference: BIOS v2.2 instead of v2.1.
800x600 graphics are still shifted to the right, but never did wrap; my
nit with that mode is that the left overscan area is huge (some 250 pixels!)
and, when set to other than black, starts well before the retrace
completes (and that's even with the image area so far to the right!).

--
UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=- 412-268-3053 (school) -=- FAX: ask
ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu@CMUCCVMA  FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/46