[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Keep PC on constantly?

fordke@ingr.com (Keith Ford x8614) (01/20/90)

I plan on setting up a BBS soon and had a few questions.  I use an
ATI VGA Wonder card and a Mitsubishi Diamond Scan monitor (multisync).
Would it be better to turn the monitor off or simply blank the screen?
Assume the monitor will be needed at least once a day.  Will turning
the monitor off cause harm or stress the ATI card?  I've pumped a lot
of money (by my standards) into my system, and leaving it all running
is scary.  I know that power on/off can place a stress on the circuits,
but continuous operation will cause heat.  What is the trade-off?
I guess if the ventillation is adequate, it would be best to leave it
on?  I'm not answering my question, just providing ideas.

If you run a BBS, I would be very interested in finding out what you
have learned.  TIA  -kef
 "Fer cryin' out loud, research physicists need porsches too!" -Opus
 "...the Trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw." -Rush

josephc@tybalt.caltech.edu (Joseph Chiu) (01/22/90)

fordke@ingr.com (Keith Ford x8614) writes:

>is scary.  I know that power on/off can place a stress on the circuits,
>but continuous operation will cause heat.  What is the trade-off?
>I guess if the ventillation is adequate, it would be best to leave it

I don't know about that, but here, EGA monitors were burning up left and
right so that the campus computing organization requested users to turn
the monitors off.

On a tangent: My friend's Mac II is "always on", but goes to sleep when you
put it in shut-down.  At shut-down, rather than just blanking the screen, it
actually turns the monitor off.  Could Apple know something?

kentkar@polari.UUCP (kent karrer) (01/22/90)

In article <8453@ingr.com> uunet!ingr!b23b!dragon!keith (Keith Ford) writes:

[I plan on setting up a BBS soon and had a few questions.  I use an
[ATI VGA Wonder card and a Mitsubishi Diamond Scan monitor (multisync).
[Would it be better to turn the monitor off or simply blank the screen?
[Assume the monitor will be needed at least once a day.  Will turning
[the monitor off cause harm or stress the ATI card?  I've pumped a lot
[of money (by my standards) into my system, and leaving it all running
[is scary.  I know that power on/off can place a stress on the circuits,
[but continuous operation will cause heat.  What is the trade-off?
[I guess if the ventillation is adequate, it would be best to leave it
[on?  I'm not answering my question, just providing ideas.

Turning the power off to the monitor should not cause any problems and will
provide protection against those well known power glitches in the Huntspatch
area. If you haven't already, you might consider a UPS or some other power
protection device to protect your whole system.

Although I don't use my system for a BBS, I do have it on for quite awhile each
day. I use a screen blanking program that I set up to trigger after
10 minutes of inactivity.

Hope this helps.

                         uunet!ingr!sea_pn!kent
--
[  My thought is in control of my experience and I can direct my thinking.  ]