[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Desktop Publishing and Laser Printers

cook@sybil.cs.Buffalo.EDU (John M. Cook) (01/19/90)

Well the number of responces to this article was small.  We now have
$10,000 budgeted and have run into a possible dead end.  We need a
laser printer that will except a 11" x 16" sheet of paper.  This is
larger than legal size paper.  Many people, mainly in sales, mislead
me because they thought that legal size paper was 11 x 16 when it is
really 8.5 x 14.  We can even live with handfeeding the paper.

I need to give a final recommendation 01-26-90,  At this point I feel
that we will have to scrap the project.

The only alternative is tiling the output and pasting the paper
together.  Has anyone have a comment on this?  I heard it was
difficult.

Thanks for any help.

John M. Cook

ib@apolling (Ivan N. Bach) (01/20/90)

I tried to send you e-mail, but it bounced back (unknown domain).

In the latest issues of InfoWorld and PC Week (Jan. 15), you can see
the announcements for a brand new QMS laser printer called QMS-PS
2200 Model B that prints 11x17-inch pages at the rate of 11 pages
per minute.  Both the 250-sheet paper cassette and the 100-sheet
bypass feed bin handle 8 1/2x11 through 11x17-inch paper.  It costs
$9,995.

For more details, please contact:

    Electronic Publishing Group
    QMS, Inc.
    One Magnum Pass
    Mobile, AL 36618
    (800) 631-2692

Ivan N. Bach                      Tel (408) 986-9400, x508
QMS, Inc.                         Fax (408) 727-3725
2650 San Tomas Expressway         arpa: ib@imagen.com
Santa Clara, CA 95051             uucp: decwrl!imagen!ib

phil@pepsi.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (01/20/90)

In article <15939@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> cook@sybil.cs.Buffalo.EDU.UUCP (John M. Cook) writes:
|laser printer that will except a 11" x 16" sheet of paper.  This is
|larger than legal size paper.  Many people, mainly in sales, mislead
|me because they thought that legal size paper was 11 x 16 when it is
|really 8.5 x 14.  We can even live with handfeeding the paper.

This is really almost "B" size. You're going to be publishing newsletters
when you get confused about "except" and "accept"? They don't even sound
the same. And you don't know paper sizes? Ugh. You probably like
Helvetica too. Truly, DTP has brought a lot of ugliness into this world.

Anyway, we have several Imagens which can handle "B" size paper. I think
$10,000 will buy one. But I could be wrong.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@diablo.amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
Peace through strength.

cook@sybil.cs.Buffalo.EDU (John M. Cook) (01/23/90)

In article <28843@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@pepsi.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) writes:
>|laser printer that will except a 11" x 16" sheet of paper.  This is
>|larger than legal size paper.  Many people, mainly in sales, mislead
>|me because they thought that legal size paper was 11 x 16 when it is
>|really 8.5 x 14.
>This is really almost "B" size. You're going to be publishing newsletters
>when you get confused about "except" and "accept"? They don't even sound
>the same. And you don't know paper sizes? Ugh.
>
>Phil Ngai,

Would you have prefered if I posted that our newspaper page is
10.8 by 16.15 inches, pick-up one of your local pennysavers and measure
for yourself it is a standard.  But for you I can say I need a 11 by 17
inch laser printer.  Besides I'm not a English major and I don't
proofread my postings.

John Cook