[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Problems with my Dell

tim@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Timothy H Smith) (01/21/90)

Netlanders,

     I got my Dell 316sx about 3 weeks ago.  And I would like
to tell you my story on it's performance and reliability.
First of all, here is what I ordered:

     316sx 1MB memory, 3 1/2 Floppy, 20meg HD, mono VGA, and
     no DOS.  ~2000.00

here's what came:

     316sx 1MB memory, 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 floppy, 40meg HD,
     mono VGA, and no DOS.  ~2100.00

not wanting to cleat anyone I called up Dell (my sales clone)
and Told them what happened.  After talking with there
manager they told me to keep the unit.  No extra charge.
I thought that was great.  But the next day Dell calls me
back and says that "It won't be covered under warranty."
After much fighting with them.. We finally compromised on me
sending back the 5 1/4 floppy and me keeping the 40meg HD for
only a addition $100.  I thought was would be OK.

The performance of the machine is fair.. Although it's about
the slowest 386sx according to my running of PC-Labs bench
5.0 and the PC article on SX machines (Jan 30, 1990).
I still say the performance is fair because it is a SX and
slower then a 16mhz 286 type machine. But it can run 386 bit
software.  It also runs IBM os/2 1.2 fine. It has Phoenix
BIOS version 1.10, and uses 256K or 1Mb simms. Upto 8meg
using 1Mb simms (100ns).

The reliability of the machine is very bad.. I've had the
machine about 20 some days and already have had 2
motherboards replaced.  The machine still acts funny but at
least it's not crashing any more.  Dell has always replaced
the parts at no charge to me, and they have been very
helpfull in getting the machine back up and running.  And
Xerox has been good about on-site fixing of the machine.
There also was apparently a hardware problem that caused them
to glue another chip onto one of the ASIC's on the main board
and run wire traces all over the place.. There are about
10-15 wire traces on the main board.. To me that's a bad
design from the start.

My problem now is should I return it before the 30 days are
up or keep it and hope it holds up. I would like to here from
any one having a Dell and how they have held up.  And what
would you do in my place.

                          Thanks to all who reply.
                          Timothy Smith
Timothy Smith             | INTERNET: tim@vonneuman.math.uakron.edu
Department of Mathematics |
The University of Akron   |  What kind of world is it, when a man, dressed
Akron, ohio 44325         |  as a BAT, gets all of my press?  --The Joker

josephc@tybalt.caltech.edu (Joseph Chiu) (01/22/90)

tim@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Timothy H Smith) writes:

>The reliability of the machine is very bad.. I've had the
>machine about 20 some days and already have had 2
>motherboards replaced.  The machine still acts funny but at
>least it's not crashing any more.  Dell has always replaced
>the parts at no charge to me, and they have been very
>helpfull in getting the machine back up and running.  And

That hasn't been my experience.  (See below)

>My problem now is should I return it before the 30 days are
>up or keep it and hope it holds up. I would like to here from
>any one having a Dell and how they have held up.  And what
>would you do in my place.

When I was in High School not too long ago (heh), I helped with the
acquisition of 2 turbo XT's and 1 high-end AT.  While the AT ran very
well (and beautiful graphics, I might add!) the XT's were trouble after
trouble...  When they came from the factory, they were in slow-mode, and
when I switched them to high-speed mode, they would always crash (no matter
how I did it, jumpers, soft-switch, or software).  My repeated calls to
Dell was futil at best, and they refused to send service or replacement
parts to me.

As of this writing, all three units are still working and are in use, but
not in the turbo mode like they should be.

Joseph

n8541751@unicorn.WWU.EDU (kriston m. bruland) (01/22/90)

In article <75971@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, tim@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Timothy H Smith) writes:
> Netlanders,
>
>      I got my Dell 316sx about 3 weeks ago.  And I would like
> to tell you my story on it's performance and reliability.
> First of all, here is what I ordered:
>
>      316sx 1MB memory, 3 1/2 Floppy, 20meg HD, mono VGA, and
>      no DOS.  ~2000.00
>
> here's what came:
>
>      316sx 1MB memory, 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 floppy, 40meg HD,
>      mono VGA, and no DOS.  ~2100.00

A year ago in July, I called Dell simply to ask for information about their
systems.  I gave the person who answered the phone my address, so they
could ship me an information packet.  We did not discuss any specific
systems; I just asked for general information about their computers.

About a week after this, a UPS man with a SYSTEM 310 (210?) on a
hand truck showed up on my back porch wanting $3000+ in COD charges.

Needless to say, I refused the shipment, and it went back.
I called their sales department that day, and asked to talk to a supervisor
who promised to "straighten things out."

After about a week, the person who I had originally talked to called me
to ask why I had sent the computer back, and if I still wanted it!

Then, about five months ago, I got a letter from Dell, informing me that
my on-site service contract for this machine was about to expire, and
requesting that I renew it immediately!

About a month after this, a sales person from Dell called me, to ask why
I had not renewed the service contract...and didn't believe it when I
told him what had happened.

Dell might sell good machines, but their sales department is obviously
disorganized.

--
n8541751@unicorn.wwu.edu  |   Theory is useless without practical application
8541751@nessie.wwu.edu    |   and does not constitute practical application in

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (01/22/90)

I'return the machine to Dell. The repair shop should not have to
redesign the circuitry. I'd keep only if a new motherboard with no
aftermarket modifications works.

M Volow, VA Medical Center, Durham, NC 27705
mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP           919 286 0411

spsisira@sdrc.UUCP (Sisira Jayasinghe) (01/23/90)

In article <75971@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, tim@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Timothy H Smith) writes:
> Netlanders,
>
> The reliability of the machine is very bad.. I've had the
> machine about 20 some days and already have had 2
> motherboards replaced.  The machine still acts funny but......
>
> My problem now is should I return it before the 30 days are
> up or keep it and hope it holds up. I would like to here from
> any one having a Dell and how they have held up.  And what
> would you do in my place.

Under the circumstances I would return the box get recover my money. This
sounds like a horror story that might come true to me when the Northgate's
SL20.1 I ordered arrives.

Bail out my friend before the 30-day warranty perieod runs out!!!

Sisira.
UUCP: sdrc!spsisira