[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Formatting 1.2 Meg disks to 360K question

lulu@ucrmath.UCR.EDU (david lu) (01/07/90)

Hi there!

I just tried to format some 1.2 Meg, high density disks in my
360K drive (as 360K), and I got the following error message:

	Invalid media or Track 0 bad - disk unusable

Now, I know that I can't format 360K disks to 1.2 Meg in a
1.2 Meg drive, but why can't I format 1.2 Meg disks to 360K
in a 360K drive?  I thought that "blank" disks are just that
-- blank.  They can be reformatted as long as the density is
"thick" enought, right?

BTW, I'm using DOS version 3.1, and the disks have been
previously formatted to 1.2 Meg in 1.2 Meg drives.

				- David

---==lulu@ucrmath==---  just another bewildered college undergraduate.

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (01/08/90)

In article <3226@ucrmath.UCR.EDU> lulu@ucrmath.UUCP (david lu) writes:
$I just tried to format some 1.2 Meg, high density disks in my
$360K drive (as 360K), and I got the following error message:
$	Invalid media or Track 0 bad - disk unusable
$Now, I know that I can't format 360K disks to 1.2 Meg in a
$1.2 Meg drive, but why can't I format 1.2 Meg disks to 360K
$in a 360K drive?  I thought that "blank" disks are just that
$-- blank.  They can be reformatted as long as the density is
$"thick" enought, right?

   As you found out, trying to use 1.2M diskettes as 360K disks doesn't
work.  I don't know the physical reason for this, but trust me - don't
do it.  Even if you can get them to format, they won't last long before
you start getting a lot - and I mean a _lot_ - of errors on them.

   As for doing it the other way round (buying 360K disks and formatting
them at 1.2M), I don't recommend it either.  I've found that I can typically
get 700-800K on such a disk using PCTools PCFORMAT - the outer tracks can
handle the higher density, but the inner ones can't and have large numbers
of bad sectors.  Fine, so what's the problem, you say?  After a fairly
short while, these disks begin to experience large numbers of errors, too.

   BTW, why would you want to use expensive (HD) disks when cheaper (DD)
ones will suffice?

--
Stephen M. Dunn                               cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
          <std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";

jacobs@chocolate.it.udel.edu (michael jacobs) (01/09/90)

In article <3226@ucrmath.UCR.EDU> lulu@ucrmath.UUCP (david lu) writes:
=>I just tried to format some 1.2 Meg, high density disks in my
=>360K drive (as 360K), and I got the following error message:
=>
=>	Invalid media or Track 0 bad - disk unusable
=>
=>Now, I know that I can't format 360K disks to 1.2 Meg in a
=>1.2 Meg drive, but why can't I format 1.2 Meg disks to 360K
=>in a 360K drive?  I thought that "blank" disks are just that
=>-- blank.  They can be reformatted as long as the density is
=>"thick" enought, right?

Having just had this problem, I asked around and it seems that High Density
disks and Double Density disks (used for 360k) do have physical differences.
On the High Density disks, there are only certain places for the sectors
while the DD's are more flexible since there's less stuff to squeze
together.

Mike J             |
The Grey Sysop...  |  Phone...RING!...yep yep yep yep yep!

jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Steven R. Jacobs) (01/09/90)

In article <7715@nigel.udel.EDU> jacobs@chocolate.it.udel.edu (michael jacobs) writes:
>In article <3226@ucrmath.UCR.EDU> lulu@ucrmath.UUCP (david lu) writes:
>=>I just tried to format some 1.2 Meg, high density disks in my
>=>360K drive (as 360K), and I got the following error message:
>=>
>=>	Invalid media or Track 0 bad - disk unusable
>=>
>=>Now, I know that I can't format 360K disks to 1.2 Meg in a
>=>1.2 Meg drive, but why can't I format 1.2 Meg disks to 360K
>=>in a 360K drive?  I thought that "blank" disks are just that
>=>-- blank.  They can be reformatted as long as the density is
>=>"thick" enought, right?
>
>Having just had this problem, I asked around and it seems that High Density
>disks and Double Density disks (used for 360k) do have physical differences.
>On the High Density disks, there are only certain places for the sectors
>while the DD's are more flexible since there's less stuff to squeze
>together.

The person that told you this was either joking or making it up to
disguise their ignorance.  Physically, the two types of disks are
similar, with oxide covering the entire surface of the disk.  The
difference is in the oxide itself.  On the high density disks, the
oxide is a different material which requires a stronger magnetic
field to record information.  The heads in many 360K drives are
not designed to produce a strong enough magnetic field to record
data on the high density floppies.
--
Steve Jacobs  ({bellcore,hplabs,uunet}!utah-cs!jacobs, jacobs@cs.utah.edu)

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Michielsen) (01/09/90)

>In article <3226@ucrmath.UCR.EDU> lulu@ucrmath.UUCP (david lu) writes:
>=>I just tried to format some 1.2 Meg, high density disks in my
>=>360K drive (as 360K), and I got the following error message:
>=>	Invalid media or Track 0 bad - disk unusable

If you hold a real 1.2 MB disk up to the light and look at it at about a 30
or 45 degree angle, you should be able to see a ring. In the read/write window
at the outside edge of the floppy disk media. It's about .1 inch wide or so.
That 'window' is what causes dos to reject the disk for formatting.  If it
weren't there it would be possible for 360K drive to corupt the disk with an
attempted format.  In some 1.2 drives it also is used to select the drive
density initially.  When I have a disk I'm not sure of I just look for that
edge window & know instantly that it is a 1.2 MB disk.

al

jacobs@chocolate.it.udel.edu (michael jacobs) (01/10/90)

In article <JACOBS.90Jan9093359@cmos.cs.utah.edu> jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Steven R. Jacobs) writes:
=>In article <7715@nigel.udel.EDU> jacobs@chocolate.it.udel.edu (michael jacobs) writes:
=>>In article <3226@ucrmath.UCR.EDU> lulu@ucrmath.UUCP (david lu) writes:
=>>=>I just tried to format some 1.2 Meg, high density disks in my
=>>=>360K drive (as 360K), and I got the following error message:
=>>=>
=>>=>	Invalid media or Track 0 bad - disk unusable
=>>
=>>Having just had this problem, I asked around and it seems that High Density
=>>disks and Double Density disks (used for 360k) do have physical differences.
=>>
=>The person that told you this was either joking or making it up to
=>disguise their ignorance.  Physically, the two types of disks are
=>similar, with oxide covering the entire surface of the disk.  The
=>difference is in the oxide itself.  On the high density disks, the
=>oxide is a different material which requires a stronger magnetic
=>field to record information.  The heads in many 360K drives are
=>not designed to produce a strong enough magnetic field to record
=>data on the high density floppies.

I'd call that a physical difference.  It has to do with what the floppy
is made of, not on just what the floppy drive is doing.

jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Steven R. Jacobs) (01/11/90)

In article <7795@nigel.udel.EDU> jacobs@chocolate.it.udel.edu (michael jacobs) writes:
>In article <JACOBS.90Jan9093359@cmos.cs.utah.edu> jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Steven R. Jacobs) writes:
>=>In article <7715@nigel.udel.EDU> jacobs@chocolate.it.udel.edu (michael jacobs) writes:
>=>>In article <3226@ucrmath.UCR.EDU> lulu@ucrmath.UUCP (david lu) writes:
>=>>=>I just tried to format some 1.2 Meg, high density disks in my
>=>>=>360K drive (as 360K), and I got the following error message:
>=>>=>
>=>>=>	Invalid media or Track 0 bad - disk unusable
>=>>
>=>>Having just had this problem, I asked around and it seems that High Density
>=>>disks and Double Density disks (used for 360k) do have physical differences.
>=>>
>=> On the high density disks, the
>=>oxide is a different material which requires a stronger magnetic
>=>field to record information.  The heads in many 360K drives are
>=>not designed to produce a strong enough magnetic field to record
>=>data on the high density floppies.
>
> I'd call that a physical difference.  It has to do with what the floppy
> is made of, not on just what the floppy drive is doing.

Sure, it is a physical difference, but the disk manufactures
don't go to any extra trouble to make the high density disks unusable
in 360K drives.  If there were no physical (i.e. materials) differences
between the two types of disks, everyone would use ordinary disks
in the high density drives (this is possible, but not recommended).
--
Steve Jacobs  ({bellcore,hplabs,uunet}!utah-cs!jacobs, jacobs@cs.utah.edu)

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (01/11/90)

In article <1700@rodan.acs.syr.edu> amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Michielsen) writes:
>>In article <3226@ucrmath.UCR.EDU> lulu@ucrmath.UUCP (david lu) writes:
>>=>I just tried to format some 1.2 Meg, high density disks in my
>>=>360K drive (as 360K), and I got the following error message:
>>=>	Invalid media or Track 0 bad - disk unusable
>
>If you hold a real 1.2 MB disk up to the light and look at it at about a 30
>or 45 degree angle, you should be able to see a ring. In the read/write window
>at the outside edge of the floppy disk media. It's about .1 inch wide or so.
>That 'window' is what causes dos to reject the disk for formatting.  If it
>weren't there it would be possible for 360K drive to corupt the disk with an
>attempted format.  In some 1.2 drives it also is used to select the drive
>density initially.  When I have a disk I'm not sure of I just look for that
>edge window & know instantly that it is a 1.2 MB disk.
>
>al

HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA,
HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA,
HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA,
HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA,
HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA,

Thank you - I haven't had such a good laugh in a _looooooong_ time.

(excuse any typo's - I'm having a difficult time seeing through the tears
from the laughter!)

But, "al," you should remember to attach the 'smileys' to these kinds of
postings: there are _some_ folks who might think you're serious!

Thanks again for the humor break!

kEITHe

ted@helios.ucsc.edu (Ted Cantrall) (01/11/90)

In article <1700@rodan.acs.syr.edu> amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Michielsen) writes:

>If you hold a real 1.2 MB disk up to the light and look at it at about a 30
>or 45 degree angle, you should be able to see a ring. In the read/write window
>at the outside edge of the floppy disk media. It's about .1 inch wide or so.
----
Have you checked several brands of disks? The brand of 1.2M disks we use have
no trace of that "ring". And besides, how would the older technology of
360K know to look for a ring that was invented later??
				-ted-
ted@helios.ucsc.edu         | "The opinions are mine...
(408)459-2110               |    ...the facts are public domain."

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (01/12/90)

In article <JACOBS.90Jan9093359@cmos.cs.utah.edu> jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Steven R. Jacobs) writes:
$>Having just had this problem, I asked around and it seems that High Density
$>disks and Double Density disks (used for 360k) do have physical differences.
$The person that told you this was either joking or making it up to
$disguise their ignorance.  Physically, the two types of disks are
$similar, with oxide covering the entire surface of the disk.  The
$difference is in the oxide itself.  On the high density disks, the
$oxide is a different material which requires a stronger magnetic
$field to record information.  The heads in many 360K drives are
$not designed to produce a strong enough magnetic field to record
$data on the high density floppies.

   That sure sounds like a physical difference to me.  And also, as I
understand it, it's actually the other way round.  A 1.2M disk actually
uses a weaker magnetic field, which makes 360K disks written in a 1.2M
drive unreadable in many 360K drives.

   If the problem was that 360K drive heads didn't generate strong enough
magnetic fields, then I should be able to format 1.2M floppies at 360K in
my 1.2M drive.  Well, it doesn't work any better in that drive than it
does in my 360K drive.
--

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (01/13/90)

In article <25AD7F7A.26599@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) writes:
>And also, as I
>understand it, it's actually the other way round.  A 1.2M disk actually
>uses a weaker magnetic field, which makes 360K disks written in a 1.2M
>drive unreadable in many 360K drives.

No, Mr. Jacobs is right, and Mr. Dunn is wrong.  The high density diskettes
have a higher coercivity, which means that they require a higher magnetizing
field to record on them.  Many older 360 k drives do not have the needed
recording field for high density floppies.

>   If the problem was that 360K drive heads didn't generate strong enough
>magnetic fields, then I should be able to format 1.2M floppies at 360K in
>my 1.2M drive.  Well, it doesn't work any better in that drive than it
>does in my 360K drive.

I don't understand this.  I format high density diskettes to 360 k in my
1.2M drive all the time.  However, if the floppy already had been written
on, either as a 1.2 M disk, or as a 360 k disk on a 360 k drive, then the
garbage in between the tracks sometimes makes the disk unreadable on a
360 k drive.

--
John Dudeck                           "You want to read the code closely..."
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu             -- C. Staley, in OS course, teaching

jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Steven R. Jacobs) (01/14/90)

In article <25AD7F7A.26599@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) writes:
> In article <JACOBS.90Jan9093359@cmos.cs.utah.edu> jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Steven R. Jacobs) writes:
>$>Having just had this problem, I asked around and it seems that High Density
>$>disks and Double Density disks (used for 360k) do have physical differences.
[[[On the High Density disks, there are only certain places for the sectors
[[[while the DD's are more flexible since there's less stuff to squeze
[[[together.
>$The person that told you this was either joking or making it up to
>$disguise their ignorance.

The part that had sounded like a "joke" to me was the part the you
conveniently deleted from the previous message (which I've added
back in, highlighted by "[[[" above).  I even _said_ in my message that
the two disk types are physically similar (see below).  But the part
about "certain places for the sectors" is absurd, since the magnetic
material covers the entire disk.  Granted, the surface of the disk is
polished (especially on the high density disks) but there are no
"special" places on these particular disks.

>$Physically, the two types of disks are
  ^^^^^^^^^^
>$similar, with oxide covering the entire surface of the disk.  The
  ^^^^^^^
>$difference is in the oxide itself.  On the high density disks, the
>$oxide is a different material which requires a stronger magnetic
>$field to record information.

>    That sure sounds like a physical difference to me.  And also, as I
> understand it, it's actually the other way round.  A 1.2M disk actually
> uses a weaker magnetic field, which makes 360K disks written in a 1.2M
> drive unreadable in many 360K drives.

I was not claiming that there were no physical differences, I only
intended to claim that the physical differences were nothing like what
the original poster had been told.  Besides, if there were no physical
differences then all disks would work in all drives.

>    If the problem was that 360K drive heads didn't generate strong enough
> magnetic fields, then I should be able to format 1.2M floppies at 360K in
> my 1.2M drive.  Well, it doesn't work any better in that drive than it
> does in my 360K drive.

This would imply that 1.2M drives cannot write data on 360K disks, but
people do this all the time.  I've had no problem reading or writing
360K disks in 1.2M drives (this is not a good idea, however, since many
360K drives will have trouble reading data written by a 1.2M drive even
if the floppy is formatted at 360K originally).

The problem with formatting 1.2M floppies at 360K is the difference
in the width of the recording heads.  The recording heads for a 1.2M
floppy are about 1/3 the width of the recording head in a 1.2M floppy.
The 360K drives sometimes have trouble reading the narrow data path
created by the 1.2M recording heads.

Now I'm sure you will point out that the 1.44M microfloppy drives will
format/read/write data at 720K.  The reason that this works is that the
data is _exactly_ twice as dense, so that the 1.44M drive can write the
data on two neighboring tracks to make it look like 720K data.  This is
not possible with the 1.2M drive, since 1.2M is not an integer multiple
of 360K (there are probably other complications as well).
--
Steve Jacobs  ({bellcore,hplabs,uunet}!utah-cs!jacobs, jacobs@cs.utah.edu)

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (01/14/90)

>This would imply that 1.2M drives cannot write data on 360K disks, but
>people do this all the time.

>The problem with formatting 1.2M floppies at 360K is the difference
>in the width of the recording heads.

Alas, more half facts.

A little RTFMing would disclose that 1.2 meg drives change not
just rotational speed when working with 360k diskettes, but
write current, too. That's how they cope with the different
permeability. See, for example, the schematic for the drives, or
the controller.

This does not, of course, solve the head width problem. It does
solve the problem of writing to the 360k diskettes at all.

--
A host is a host & from coast to coast...wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
no one will talk to a host that's close..............(305) 255-RTFM

U5533129@ucsvc.ucs.unimelb.edu.au (CARDIOLOGY, R.M.H.) (01/15/90)

In article <JACOBS.90Jan13171438@cmos.cs.utah.edu>, jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Steven R. Jacobs) writes:

> Now I'm sure you will point out that the 1.44M microfloppy drives will
> format/read/write data at 720K.  The reason that this works is that the
> data is _exactly_ twice as dense, so that the 1.44M drive can write the
> data on two neighboring tracks to make it look like 720K data.  This is
> not possible with the 1.2M drive, since 1.2M is not an integer multiple
> of 360K (there are probably other complications as well).

This is BULLS**T!

The greater density of a 1.44M floppy comes from writing more sectors per
track, not from using any more tracks.  1.44M, 1.2M and 720k disks all use 80
tracks, with 18, 15 and 9 sectors per track (x2 sides) each.  360k disks use 40
tracks x 9 sectors / track (x2 sides).

As far as I know, no one does writes to adjacent tracks.  I don't know whether
this would work, but it would be very easy to do (with a small TSR on int 13).
Does anyone know any more about this?

Peter S.

thomasr@cpqhou.UUCP (Thomas Rush) (01/15/90)

	I have had trouble formatting fresh-out-of-the-box 1.2 meg
disks to 360 K.  What could cause this?

thomas.

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (01/16/90)

In article <25AD7F7A.26599@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) writes:
>In article <JACOBS.90Jan9093359@cmos.cs.utah.edu> jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Steven R. Jacobs) writes:
>$>Having just had this problem, I asked around and it seems that High Density
>$>disks and Double Density disks (used for 360k) do have physical differences.
>$The person that told you this was either joking or making it up to
>$disguise their ignorance.  Physically, the two types of disks are
>$similar, with oxide covering the entire surface of the disk.  The
>$difference is in the oxide itself.  On the high density disks, the
>$oxide is a different material which requires a stronger magnetic
>$field to record information.  The heads in many 360K drives are
>$not designed to produce a strong enough magnetic field to record
>$data on the high density floppies.
>
>   That sure sounds like a physical difference to me.  And also, as I
>understand it, it's actually the other way round.  A 1.2M disk actually
>uses a weaker magnetic field, which makes 360K disks written in a 1.2M
>drive unreadable in many 360K drives.

Well - you do have it backwards.  The HD media use higher coercivity oxide.
This requires a higher write current to be able to magnetize than the oxides
used in standards disks.   Because of the higher coercivity you are able to
write the bits closer together without the associated problems of bit-shifting
or self-erasure.

If you try to format a regular disk as high density the higher write currents
generate a greater flux field, and this field will erase the previous bits
just written.  If you are successful in writing high density to low density
media, the bits will be so closely packed and the magnetic orientation of the
particles so easy to change that adjacent bits will try to move away if they
are magnetized the same way.  This is the bit shifting phenomenon.  Think of
how like poles on a magnet repel each other.  The bits on the disk try to do
the same.

>   If the problem was that 360K drive heads didn't generate strong enough
>magnetic fields, then I should be able to format 1.2M floppies at 360K in
>my 1.2M drive.  Well, it doesn't work any better in that drive than it
>does in my 360K drive.

When you try to format 360 on a 1.2 meg disk the reason is that you aren't
driving the head with enough current.  The current DOES vary depending on what
you are trying to write.   So when you try to format a high density disk as
low density, the write currents aren't strong enough to overcome the higher
coercivity of the HD disk.  After all, the system thinks it has a low density
disk in it and is using reduced write current.

A 360k drive has only one one write level.  The 1.2 meg drives writes at two
different levels, that is why the 1.2 meg drives works as poorly on hd media
when trying to format at 360 as does the 360k drive when using HD media.
--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!tarpit!bilver!bill
                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

In article <10280@saturn.ucsc.edu> ted@helios.ucsc.edu (Ted Cantrall) writes:
>In article <1700@rodan.acs.syr.edu> amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Michielsen) writes:
>>
>>If you hold a real 1.2 MB disk up to the light and look at it at about a 30
>>or 45 degree angle, you should be able to see a ring. In the read/write window
>>at the outside edge of the floppy disk media. It's about .1 inch wide or so.
>----
>Have you checked several brands of disks? The brand of 1.2M disks we use have
>no trace of that "ring". And besides, how would the older technology of
>360K know to look for a ring that was invented later??
>				-ted-

The rings were designed to prevent the center of the disk from being chewed up
by the hub rings.  The original 5.25 drive design clamped the disk when the
door was shut.  An improperly centered diskette could have the edges of the
center hole crimped.  Later designs went to a steeper cone.

When the 1.2 meg drives came out, they were all of the later technology.  They
rotated the drive when the diskette was inserted and automatically centered
the diskette on the clamp ring.  The HD diskettes don't need the
re-inforcments, and while many of the 360s did, they really don't anymore
unless you are using one of the old full-height 5.25" drives.

--

poffen@molehill (Russ Poffenberger) (01/17/90)

In article <510@cpqhou.UUCP> thomasr@cpqhou.UUCP (Thomas Rush) writes:

>	I have had trouble formatting fresh-out-of-the-box 1.2 meg
>disks to 360 K.  What could cause this?
>

>thomas.

There has been a recent discussion regarding this subject just recently on
the net.

It appears as though the coating on 1.2M disks is such that it need a stronger
magnetic field in order to be written to reliably. 360K drives do not have
this capability.

The other thing is, why whould you spend the money to get high density disks,
just to format them to 360K?

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110
(408)437-5254

psrc@pegasus.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (01/19/90)

(Steven R. Jacobs) writes:
> This would imply that 1.2M drives cannot write data on 360K disks, but
> people do this all the time.

What he (Steven) said.

(BTW, I've tried variations on this, such as trying to format a DSHD
floppy in a DSQD (quad density) drive, or trying to format a 3.5" DSHD
floppy in a DSDD drive.  It didn't work; the coercivity of the higher
density disk was more than the write head in the lower density drive
could handle.)

>                               I've had no problem reading or writing
> 360K disks in 1.2M drives (this is not a good idea, however, since many
> 360K drives will have trouble reading data written by a 1.2M drive even
> if the floppy is formatted at 360K originally).

Again, ditto.  Some 1.2M drives (e.g., Qume, from earlier reports on
the net) are better than others at this.  The most commonly successful
effort is to format on a 360K drive, write once on a 1.2M drive, and
never write on the disk again with either drive.  The alternative I've
seen on the net is to format *and* write with the 1.2M drive.
(Formatting and writing with a 360K drive will work, of course; the
trick is what to do if you don't have a 360K drive handy.)

> The problem with formatting 1.2M floppies at 360K is the difference
> in the width of the recording heads.  The recording heads for a 1.2M
> floppy are about 1/3 the width of the recording head in a 1.2M floppy.
> The 360K drives sometimes have trouble reading the narrow data path
> created by the 1.2M recording heads.

Yup.

> Now I'm sure you will point out that the 1.44M microfloppy drives will
> format/read/write data at 720K.  The reason that this works is that the
> data is _exactly_ twice as dense, so that the 1.44M drive can write the
> data on two neighboring tracks to make it look like 720K data.

Nope; a 1.44M drive has twice the number of sectors per track, but the
same number of tracks (of the same width and density) as the 720K.

>                                                                 This is
> not possible with the 1.2M drive, since 1.2M is not an integer multiple
> of 360K (there are probably other complications as well).

A 1.2M disk has exactly twice as many sectors per track, and twice as
many (narrower) tracks, as a 360K disk.

> Steve Jacobs  ({bellcore,hplabs,uunet}!utah-cs!jacobs, jacobs@cs.utah.edu)

Paul S. R. Chisholm, AT&T Bell Laboratories
att!pegasus!psrc, psrc@pegasus.att.com, AT&T Mail !psrchisholm
I'm not speaking for the company, I'm just speaking my mind.

rkl@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (kevin.laux) (01/20/90)

In article <1700@rodan.acs.syr.edu>, amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Michielsen) writes:
> If you hold a real 1.2 MB disk up to the light and look at it at about a 30
> or 45 degree angle, you should be able to see a ring.
	<stuff deleted>
> When I have a disk I'm not sure of I just look for that
> edge window & know instantly that it is a 1.2 MB disk.

	There's an easier way to tell a 1.2 MB floppy from a 360 K one.  If
the diskette has a hub ring/reinforcement then it's definitely a 360 K
diskette.  1.2 MB diskettes have no hub ring on purpose to make it easier
to distinguish them from 360 K ones.

--rkl

jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Steven R. Jacobs) (01/20/90)

In article <4407@pegasus.ATT.COM> psrc@pegasus.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) writes:
>In article <JACOBS.90Jan13171438@cmos.cs.utah.edu>, jacobs@cs.utah.edu
>(Steven R. Jacobs) writes:
>> Now I'm sure you will point out that the 1.44M microfloppy drives will
>> format/read/write data at 720K.  The reason that this works is that the
>> data is _exactly_ twice as dense, so that the 1.44M drive can write the
>> data on two neighboring tracks to make it look like 720K data.
>
>Nope; a 1.44M drive has twice the number of sectors per track, but the
>same number of tracks (of the same width and density) as the 720K.

Yes, I really blew it on this point.

>>                                                                 This is
>> not possible with the 1.2M drive, since 1.2M is not an integer multiple
>> of 360K (there are probably other complications as well).
>
> A 1.2M disk has exactly twice as many sectors per track, and twice as
> many (narrower) tracks, as a 360K disk.

This would mean that the high density disks are 1.44M instead of 1.2M
would it not?  I believe the high density disks are 15 sectors/track
while the 360K disks are 9 sectors/track.  This, with twice as many
tracks on the 1.2M floppies, accounts for the 1.2M size.

carlj@hpcvmb.cv.hp.com (Carl Johnson) (01/21/90)

from  rkl@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (kevin.laux) /  9:27 am  Jan 19, 1990 /

>	There's an easier way to tell a 1.2 MB floppy from a 360 K one.  If
>the diskette has a hub ring/reinforcement then it's definitely a 360 K
>diskette.  1.2 MB diskettes have no hub ring on purpose to make it easier
>to distinguish them from 360 K ones.
>
>--rkl
>----------
Don't count on this.  I have used 360K disks in the past that did not
have the hub reinforcement ring, and I have some 1.2MB disks now that
do have the hub reinforcement rings.  I know they are 1.2 MB since my
drive won't format 360K disks with 1.2MB.

Carl Johnson

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (01/22/90)

In article <JACOBS.90Jan19094503@cmos.cs.utah.edu> jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Steven R. Jacobs) writes:
$would it not?  I believe the high density disks are 15 sectors/track
$while the 360K disks are 9 sectors/track.  This, with twice as many
$tracks on the 1.2M floppies, accounts for the 1.2M size.

   This is correct.  For 5.25" disks, one can have 8 or 9 sectors per
track and one or two sides of 40 tracks under DOS with double-density
diskettes; with high-density ones, you get 15 sectors per track, 80
tracks per side, two sides.  The various capacities you can get are
then 160K, 180K, 320K, 360K, and 1.2M.
--
Stephen M. Dunn                               cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
          <std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";
       "I want to look at life - In the available light" - Neil Peart

psrc@pegasus.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (01/23/90)

(Steven R. Jacobs) writes:

> This would mean that the high density disks are 1.44M instead of 1.2M
> would it not?  I believe the high density disks are 15 sectors/track
> while the 360K disks are 9 sectors/track.  This, with twice as many
> tracks on the 1.2M floppies, accounts for the 1.2M size.

The *good* news is, between the two of us, I think we've got it all
figured out.   360K * 2 * (15/9) = 1.2M, and 720K * 2 = 1.44M.  And no
matter how you calculate storage, the coercivity of the high density
disks makes them impossible to format in a low density drive.