[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Invalid drive problem

villikka@kannel.lut.fi (Juha Villikka) (01/20/90)

I have problems with IBM PS/2 model 55 SX using PC-DOS 3.3.
In the hard disk there is OS/2 1.1 EE. When I start the computer from
floppy disk with PC-DOS it does not recognize hard disk driver C:
and D:. When I try to go drive C or D, DOS says: "Invalid drive
specification".

I need the original DOS because there is not enough free memory
( only 480 kB)in OS/2 DOS-box. I need free memory little
over 500 kB.

Is there any possibilities to have more memory in OS/2 DOS-box?

Why I cannot use hard disk when I start the computer from diskette?

Juha Villikka
E-mail:      Internet:   villikka@kannel.lut.fi

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (01/24/90)

In article <1248@kannel.lut.fi> villikka@kannel.lut.fi (Juha Villikka) writes:

>I have problems with IBM PS/2 model 55 SX using PC-DOS 3.3.
>In the hard disk there is OS/2 1.1 EE. When I start the computer from
>floppy disk with PC-DOS it does not recognize hard disk driver C:
>and D:. When I try to go drive C or D, DOS says: "Invalid drive
>specification".
>
>Why I cannot use hard disk when I start the computer from diskette?

Because OS/2 1.1 uses the 32 bit FAT table, allowing disks up to 16 gigabytes.
DOS 3.3 only knows about 12 and 16 bit FAT tables.  The partition ID byte
is what tells DOS whether the partition has a 12, 16, or 32 bit FAT.  Try
DOS 4.01, or Compaq DOS 3.31, either of those should recognize the 32 bit FAT.

Chewey, get us outta here!

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov            Jet Propeller Labs
Kaleb Keithley