[comp.sys.ibm.pc] XMODEM,YMODEM,ZMODEM,KERMIT Which is best and why?

saroff@.tmc.edu (steven saroff) (12/26/89)

I am interested in learning about the various flavors of transfer
programs for PC's etc.

Dr. S.Z. Saroff                              o o
Thinking Machines Corporation                (_)_____o
email:  saroff@think.com           ~~~~~~~~~~~~(_____)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
245 First St                                    oo oo
Cambridge, MA 02142                       The Bear who Swims
617 876 1111 ext 2454

--

don@delta.uucp (Donald K. Irmiger) (01/01/90)

In article <32428@news.Think.COM> saroff@.tmc.edu (steven saroff) writes:
>I am interested in learning about the various flavors of transfer
>programs for PC's etc.

I've always had an affinity for ZMODEM.  I'm using ProComm Plus (which does
not directly support ZMODEM) doing file transfers to/from a Xenix box.
Works great.  I like the ability to resurrect an interrupted transfer,
although I've yet to use it.

Cheap too.

Donald K. Irmiger III                                  UUCP: uunet!delta!don
Data Systems Coordinator                               Altos 2086/Xenix 3.4b
Michiana Rehabilitation Institute's Data Systems Center

gordon@eecea.eece.ksu.edu (Dwight Gordon) (01/01/90)

In article <32428@news.Think.COM> saroff@.tmc.edu (steven saroff) writes:
>I am interested in learning about the various flavors of transfer
>programs for PC's etc.

  My program of choice depends on the environment.

ZMODEM -
1.  Fast!  It gives me in excess of 10% greater throughput than KERMIT.
    (~230 cps on my 2400 baud modem)
2.  Requires 8-bit datalinks (at least my version does).
3.  Not as robust as KERMIT.
    a.  noisy environments (bad phone connections) causes troubles
    b.  multitasking (DesqView) a graphics (high cpu overhead) application
        in another window tends to cause retries/packet failures (yes, I
        know that there must be a way to tune the DesqView parameters so
        that this doesn't happen.  I haven't found it!)
4.  The ability to resume an aborted transfer is GREAT!
5.  "Problem connections" (see 3) cause ZMODEM to decrease the packet size.
    This will (hopefully) increase reliability.  However, it plays havoc
    with the throughput!  (I've seen it drop to <100 cps on 2400 baud.)

KERMIT
1.  Not as fast as ZMODEM (with 1K packets it claims about 208 cps on
    my 2400 baud modem)
2.  Works on both 7 and 8 bit connections.
    This sometimes causes problems with configuring KERMIT.  Some of the
    UNIX systems I've used will happily configure KERMIT for 8-bit, where
    the tty is set for 7-bit.
    (Our campus mainframe, KSUVM, only works with 7-bit datalinks!)
3.  ROBUST!  It was designed to transfer information between dissimilar
    machines.  I have seen it "give up" (see 3.b above).  It does so
    less often than ZMODEM.
4.  No direct support for aborted downloading.
5.  Packet size is negotiated at the start of the transfer, and doesn't
    change.

- Dwight -
--
Dwight W. Gordon, Ph.D.  |   913-532-5600    |   gordon@eecea.eece.ksu.edu
Electrical & Computer Engineering Department |     dwgordon@ksuvm.bitnet

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Michielsen) (01/02/90)

In article <1989Dec31.210253.25273@delta.uucp> don@delta.UUCP (Donald K. Irmiger) writes:
>In article <32428@news.Think.COM> saroff@.tmc.edu (steven saroff) writes:
>>I am interested in learning about the various flavors of transfer
>>programs for PC's etc.
>
>I've...

Kermit, Is best because it's free.  It works pretty well for transfers of
files & the terminal emulation is pretty robust. However, it requires kermit
running at both ends & setup compatible to do file transfers.

X,Y,& Z Modem all are fairly much the same.  They are only a method of file
transfers. Each (or all) may be implemented in any terminal sofa stand alone
product.  All three also require the same software running at each end.
They all work very well to transfer binary (.com .exe etc) files without the
user having to worry or get any setups made properly (more than the basics).
I have found X modem to be the most widely used on bbs & stuff.  Y & Z may
be able to identify X type tyransfers & use that automatically. I forget.
Y & Z are supposedly better & faster, with Z being the best.  I won't argue
with that but it is in my experience the least implemented in the real world.

I find that I can't live without straight ascii file transfers that non of
these will do. The options available for ascii transfers are seemingly
limitless. Rate, delay, interchange handshaking, filtering, convering,...
The more options the more equipment (odd ball & non-computer {well ou know,
cnc equipment, robots...}) you can easily transfer info with. This feature
is built into almost all terminal packages & a discussion (war/flame fest)
comparing & contrasting & arguements of could well take up weeks.

al

tempest@wet.UUCP (Ken Lui) (01/02/90)

In article <1989Dec31.210253.25273@delta.uucp> don@delta.UUCP (Donald K. Irmiger) writes:
>Works great.  I like the ability to resurrect an interrupted transfer,
>although I've yet to use it.

I'll have to second this reason for liking Zmodem.  I've had to
use it more than once and believe me, it really saves your skin
if a large file was being uploaded or downloaded.  The only
problem I have with it is there isn't an option where you can
turn off the CRC checking.  It would be really nice to have a
Zmodem-equivalent of Ymodem-G for high-speed or error correcting
modems.  Although Ymodem-G is about as fast as you can get in
transferring a file, you don't have the resurrect transfer option
of something goes wrong; and it appends extra bytes to
files...which can be a pain if you transfer compressed files--.Z
files from UNIX.  You will get extra garbage as you uncompress
them.  Maybe it's my version of compress, but I always get them
when I use X or Ymodem to download; I never get the trailing
garbage if I use Zmodem.

Ken

     Kenneth K.F. Lui	   |  UUCP:	...{ucsfcca|claris}!wet!tempest
     tempest@wet.UUCP	   |  Internet:	cca.ucsf.edu!wet!tempest@cgl.ucsf.edu

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (01/02/90)

In article <1989Dec31.210253.25273@delta.uucp>, don@delta.uucp (Donald K. Irmiger) writes:

> I've always had an affinity for ZMODEM.  I'm using ProComm Plus (which does
> not directly support ZMODEM) doing file transfers to/from a Xenix box.
> Works great.  I like the ability to resurrect an interrupted transfer,
> although I've yet to use it.

I am running ProYam here on nstar and it supports all the protocols
available in the most popular DOS packages but best of all, ProYam
is available for Unix System V and Xenix.   ProYam is $139 (retail).

                uucp: larry@nstar -or- ...!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry
                         "Don't waste your time with QNX!"

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (01/02/90)

>     b.  multitasking (DesqView) a graphics (high cpu overhead) application
>         in another window tends to cause retries/packet failures (yes, I
>         know that there must be a way to tune the DesqView parameters so
>         that this doesn't happen.  I haven't found it!)

I have several modems (4) all communicating at speeds of 9.6/19.2k and I can
grab any modem from the pool, dial out and initiate a Zmodem transfer and
get throughtput just as good as if I were calling out from a single user
PC under DOS.  With the HST modem, 1707 cps on archived transfers is the
norm.

Hardware?  25mhz '386 with smart serial board (10 mhz 80186).
OS is ISC 2.02 System V.

thaler@shorty.cs.wisc.edu (Maurice Thaler) (01/02/90)

In article <919@eecea.eece.ksu.edu> gordon@eecea.UUCP (Dwight W. Gordon) writes:
>ZMODEM -
>3.  Not as robust as KERMIT.
>    a.  noisy environments (bad phone connections) causes troubles
>    b.  multitasking (DesqView) a graphics (high cpu overhead) application
>        in another window tends to cause retries/packet failures (yes, I
>        know that there must be a way to tune the DesqView parameters so
>        that this doesn't happen.  I haven't found it!)

Sorry Dwight, I don't buy this one. ZMODEM is very robust. 32bit-crc
gives your virtually identical files including date and time stamping.
Also, as the baud rate goes up the speed difference between ZMODEM and
Kermit widens. I use a US Robotics Dual Standard modem and regularly get
>1600bps using ZMODEM . Kermit could never do that, not even
SuperKermit.  If you are having problems with DesqView with DSZ or
ZCOMM, I would suggest that it could be  either EMS memory management
and/or a less than well behaved disk cache that causes intrupt latecency
problems (well documented in DSZ.DOC) or a less than wonderful UART.
I switched to the NS16550an UART as recommended by Forsberg in the
DSZ.DOC (about a  $20 mod) and it cleared up all high speed/multitasking
problems.

This brings up another issue. It seems that several manufacturers (for
example DELL) are using VLSI COM ports that are terrible at better than
9600. They can receive data at 19200 perhaps but fail to handle hardware
handshaking thus being useless with today's high speed modems which
require you to be locked into a bps higher than your connect rate. With
my Dual Standard modem, they recommend you lock in at 38,400bps. This
would fail every time with these VLSI or ancient UARTS.  Also, quite
unfortunately, when you buy an i/o card, they always solder in the first
UART and leave the second socketed which means that you can only run one
high speed UART off of COM2 and not COM1.

At any rate, getting back to the original question, KERMIT is ONLY
useful for talking to mainframes that have a 7bit data stream over which
you want to pass 8-bit binaries.

For PC-PC, or UNIX-PC ZMODEM is a clear winnner.  BTW, If it wasn't
mentioned earlier, if properly implemented, one nice feature of ZMODEM
is that the receiving end does nothing to start the download. On my Unix
account, I have an "rz" binary that automatically kicks in when I send
files from my PC, and with ZCOMM,YAM, and TELIX,  the terminal watches
the datastream for ZMODEM's init string and automatically starts
downloading. This is a really nice feature which sure beats:

init download on remote
jump back to terminal
init download locally

I was really disappointed when I checked out the new XTALK for Windows
and discovered that their implementation of ZMODEM did not include
autodownload. (Neither does WINQVT, but one would hope that the
commercial package would have a better implementation than the shareware
version |-) )

At any rate, perhaps ZMODEM is not free, but there are an increasing
number of programs that implement it. And the price of DSZ, or ZCOMM is
still under $50, which is a small percentage of your yearly phone bill
using the program...

--
Maurice Thaler   SYSOP  Audio Projects BBS (608) 836-9473
                 SYSOP  Power Board    BBS (608) 222-8842

gordon@eecea.eece.ksu.edu (Dwight Gordon) (01/02/90)

In article <9457@spool.cs.wisc.edu> thaler@shorty.cs.wisc.edu (Maurice Thaler) writes:
>In article <919@eecea.eece.ksu.edu> gordon@eecea.UUCP (Dwight W. Gordon) writes:
>>ZMODEM -
>>3.  Not as robust as KERMIT.
>>    a.  noisy environments (bad phone connections) causes troubles
>>    b.  multitasking (DesqView) a graphics (high cpu overhead) application
>>        in another window tends to cause retries/packet failures (yes, I
>>        know that there must be a way to tune the DesqView parameters so
>>        that this doesn't happen.  I haven't found it!)
>
>Sorry Dwight, I don't buy this one. ZMODEM is very robust. 32bit-crc
>gives your virtually identical files including date and time stamping.
>Also, as the baud rate goes up the speed difference between ZMODEM and
>Kermit widens. I use a US Robotics Dual Standard modem and regularly get
>>1600bps using ZMODEM . Kermit could never do that, not even
>SuperKermit.  If you are having problems with DesqView with DSZ or
>ZCOMM, I would suggest that it could be  either EMS memory management
>and/or a less than well behaved disk cache that causes intrupt latecency
>problems (well documented in DSZ.DOC) or a less than wonderful UART.
>I switched to the NS16550an UART as recommended by Forsberg in the
>DSZ.DOC (about a  $20 mod) and it cleared up all high speed/multitasking
>problems.

  EMS is QEMM.  It's interrupt latency all right.  I admit the UART my
strange (a custom VLSI for both UART channels - no $20 fix, board
replacement time for the FIFO uart).  The problem comes with graphic
foreground tasks and telecommunications in the background.  ZMODEM
sees troubles and decreases the packet size.  The unix box on the other
end (3b15) suddenly gets "bogged down" with packets that have gotten
as small as 32 bytes!  (32 bits of CRC/32 Bytes of data => ~11%
overhead).  My point is that the graphic activities that generally
cause this decrease in packet size are of a relatively short duration.
Kermit doesn't change the packet size (at least my version doesn't).
It drops packets just as ZMODEM does.  However, with a "large" file,
it more than catches up with its 1K packets (vs. the 32byte packets I
end up with under ZMODEM).
  Note:  I've tried "Tuning" my DesqView and haven't come up with a
solution that both 1) doesn't drop packages in the background, and
2) leaves me enough time-slices in the foreground so that I still
feel as if I'm running a 25MHz '386!

- Dwight -
P.S. I knew that my original posting was an invitation for flames.
I was hoping for some constructive suggestions to fix the problem.
I prefer ZMODEM.  Has anybody out there seen a "cheap" 2S/1P card
with the FIFO uart chips on it?
--
Dwight W. Gordon, Ph.D.  |   913-532-5600    |   gordon@eecea.eece.ksu.edu
Electrical & Computer Engineering Department |     dwgordon@ksuvm.bitnet
Kansas State University - Durland Hall       | rutgers!ksuvax1!eecea!gordon
Manhattan, KS 66506      | {pyramid,ucsd}!ncr-sd!ncrwic!ksuvax1!eecea!gordon

querubin@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Antonio Querubin) (01/02/90)

There seem to be a few misconceptions in this string of notes regarding Kermit.

Someone earlier wrote that none of the above programs in the subject line can
do straight ascii text transfers.  MS-Kermit can (see the TRANSMIT command).

Another person wrote that Kermit couldn't run at 1600 BPS or greater.  I
would suspect this is a problem with the UART and BIOS on each machine and not
with Kermit.  I've run MS-Kermit to/from MacKermit file transfers at 5760 BPS
(57600 BAUD) and MS-Kermit to/from C-Kermit (3840 BPS/38400 BAUD) (on a Unix
mainframe going through two intermediate systems), both text and binary and
don't have any problems.

A distinction should also be made between the Kermit protocol itself and the
Kermit programs that implement that protocol.  I've heard for example that
Procomm's implementation of the Kermit protocol isn't very intelligent.  But
that's not a problem with Kermit (the program), it's a problem with
Procomm.

The MS-Kermit program has a number of features that don't have equivalents in
the basic XMODEM-family of programs.  I have found that Kermit is implemented
on a larger variety of computers than any single variant of XMODEM (substitute
a letter of the alphabet for X) :-).  MS-Kermit (the program) also provides
VT-52, VT-102, Z-19, and Tek 4014 emulation modes all in one program.  Best of
all Kermit is FREE, Columbia University doesn't even ask for a donation last
I checked.

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (01/02/90)

Each protocol has some advantages.

Kermit will talk to/from a vast array of machine types, including ugly
Big Blue mainframes. In fact, this was part of its design intent.
For reasons I have never figured out, some unix versions need to
be explicitly told when the path is 7 bit, and crash and burn when I
forget to do this.

Zmodem is MUCH faster *if* the link has turn around delays. The longer
the delay, the more the advantage. An example of this is PCPursuit. If
you have a bare_bones direct connection, the speed advantage may not be
visible.

{X,Y}modem tend to be everywhere in the PC BBS world. So if you
spend lots of time there, it's nice to have the lowest common
denominator available.

Yous pays your money and yous takes your choice. Most of the
time, the money is near to or = 0.00.

--
A host is a host & from coast to coast...wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
no one will talk to a host that's close..............(305) 255-RTFM

scott@csusac.csus.edu (L. Scott Emmons) (01/02/90)

In article <9457@spool.cs.wisc.edu> thaler@shorty.cs.wisc.edu (Maurice Thaler) writes:
>>ZMODEM -
>>3.  Not as robust as KERMIT.
>> [...]
>Sorry Dwight, I don't buy this one. ZMODEM is very robust. 32bit-crc
>gives your virtually identical files including date and time stamping.
> [...]

I have noticed that ZMODEM fails miserably when attempting transfers through
a buffered environment, as from what I understand ZMODEM requires stricter
timing than KERMIT, XMODEM, YMODEM, et al.  When I am on a clean line, not
running through many boxes (i.e. direct telco line to one of our micro-vaxen)
ZMODEM runs perfectly.  However, when I use it via our AT&T ISN network, which
runs through a PBX, and several other boxes, ZMODEM fails (It gets a timeout
error _EVERY_ 10K or so [where I assume the buffering is a problem
somewhere in our system]), while YMODEM runs perfectly, 0% packet loss.

So my opinion is that ZMODEM is the best protocol in direct CPU-modem-modem-CPU
installations, while other protocols may be preferable in environments where
data will undergo transformation/transportation through several different
devices, especially equipment akin to AT&T's ISN, which is noisy...at least
at our site...

--
			L. Scott Emmons
			---------------

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (01/02/90)

> The MS-Kermit program has a number of features that don't have equivalents in
> the basic XMODEM-family of programs.  I have found that Kermit is implemented
> on a larger variety of computers than any single variant of XMODEM (substitute
> a letter of the alphabet for X) :-).  MS-Kermit (the program) also provides
> VT-52, VT-102, Z-19, and Tek 4014 emulation modes all in one program.  Best of
> all Kermit is FREE, Columbia University doesn't even ask for a donation last
> I checked.

What is the current version of MSKermit?  We have 2.31a and am running into
problems using the server mode and since 2.31 is dated August 88, assume that
there is a newer release in distribution.
                uucp: larry@nstar -or- ...!iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry
      "NO! QNX is non-standard, not compatible, and is no more Unix than DOS!"

scott@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Scott Reynolds) (01/02/90)

Let me first qualify what I say in this article by stating that I didn't
write ZModem (that honor goes to Chuck Forsberg).  These are my personal
opinions and observations.

scott@csusac.csus.edu (L. Scott Emmons) writes:

>I have noticed that ZMODEM fails miserably when attempting transfers through
>a buffered environment, as from what I understand ZMODEM requires stricter
>timing than KERMIT, XMODEM, YMODEM, et al.

This one seems pretty strange to me.  ZModem runs pretty well through
buffered lines, being an ACK-less protocol.  I've done it myself a few
times through a packet network, and I've had no problems I can't
attribute to other things.

"Other things" include, for example, the fact that this 286 box can't
handle continuous 2400 bps receiving from 3 async lines simultaneously
without burping every couple minutes.

The *NIX 2.x versions are in the public domain now, from what I
understand, and I've been using them for over 2 years without problems.
Most people connecting to this system have MS-DOS machines and use
either DSZ or the ZModem built into the Telix package.
--
Scott Reynolds			=	$ cat 'a can of tuna'
Enterprise Information System	=	cat: cannot open a can of tuna

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (01/03/90)

In article <9457@spool.cs.wisc.edu> thaler@shorty.cs.wisc.edu (Maurice Thaler) writes:
>In article <919@eecea.eece.ksu.edu> gordon@eecea.UUCP (Dwight W. Gordon) writes:
>>ZMODEM -
>>3.  Not as robust as KERMIT.
>>    a.  noisy environments (bad phone connections) causes troubles
>
>Sorry Dwight, I don't buy this one. ZMODEM is very robust. 32bit-crc

But I do!  Having used both quite heavily, my experience is that
over very difficult conditions (noise, heady load on a remote server
line, etc) kermit is the protocol that is the most likely to get
through.  Under these conditions Z-modem tends to get stuck.  (It
does not send incorrect data, though, which would be intolerable).
Z-modem is a very nice protocoll under good and fair conditions, and
is a good choice then.

Prof. Timo Salmi                                (Site 128.214.12.3)
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun

In article <511119@nstar.UUCP> larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:

>What is the current version of MSKermit?  We have 2.31a and am running into
>problems using the server mode and since 2.31 is dated August 88, assume that
>there is a newer release in distribution.

The current version is 2.32A, and if you have anonymous ftp you can
download it eg from chyde.uwasa.fi.

scott@csusac.csus.edu (L. Scott Emmons) (01/03/90)

In article <1578@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US> scott@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Scott Reynolds) writes:
>>I have noticed that ZMODEM fails miserably when attempting transfers through
>>[...]
>This one seems pretty strange to me.  ZModem runs pretty well through
>buffered lines, being an ACK-less protocol.  I've done it myself a few
>[...]

I 'spose I didn't make it very clear in my post, but yeah, the problem with
Zmodem that I have found likely _isn't_ the protocol itself (which, IMHO, is
the best one yet), but rather is with the setup of our computer network
network. [sic -- we have a network of networks, if you will].  I still find it
strange that ACKfull protocols work where Zmodem doesn't -- Apparantly some
boxes (X.25 networks, for example) barf on ACKs...which is why Kermit was
(according to my sourcs) invented (it uses no ACKs).  It seems to me that
Zmodem should work anywhere that any other protocols do...but I'm not familiar
with the mechanics of Zmodem.

Has anyone else had problems like I illustrated in my previous post?  If so,
perhaps we can isolate it and create a fix for certain environments.  I will
post my findings...time to go fire up the datascope!

--
			L. Scott Emmons
			---------------
		...[!ucbvax]!ucdavis!csusac!scott
		ucdavis!csusac!scott@ucbvax.berkeley.edu

perand@nada.kth.se (Per Andersson) (01/03/90)

There has been quite a lot of discussion of 'kermit' vs. Z-modem lately.
What almost everybody forgot to mention is what kind of kermit you are
running. This is most important, due to allowed differences in the
implementation ( which, of course, doesn't mean they won't talk to each
other). When comparing with Z-modem you should choose C-kermit and MS-kermit,
which allow large packet-sizes etc. There is no reason to blame the kermit
protocol for bad implementations. These few percent I might loose running
MS-Kermit instead of Z-modem don't bother me, as I really like to have a
transfer program available on my mini ( Norsk Data btw.). Kermit has yet
the absolutely greatest count of implementations.

I tend to run Z-modem, or rather TELIX, but then rather for its simplicity
on my 8-bit path, and it's auto-transfer starting. But maybe kermit allows
that too, and nobody has yet implemented it ?. Apart from filetransfer,
MS-Kermit tends to be one of the greatest terminal emulators around ( as
someone also mentioned previously ).

Happy flaming, Per
--
---
Per Andersson

roy@comcon.UUCP (Roy M. Silvernail) (01/03/90)

In article <1636@rodan.acs.syr.edu>, amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Michielsen) writes:
> Y & Z are supposedly better & faster, with Z being the best.  I won't argue
> with that but it is in my experience the least implemented in the real world.

Zmodem is primarily (for now) a PC protocol. There are implementations
for Unix, though. (I use Zmodem on this Unix site daily)

> I find that I can't live without straight ascii file transfers that non of
> these will do.

Straight ASCII files?  I assume, since you mentioned it at all, that you
are moving text files between a PC and a non-PC. Zmodem for Unix
includes a -a switch to convert newlines as the transfer progresses. Of
course, in the case of a batch transfer, you must make sure that all the
files to be moved are ASCII, else any binaries in the queue will be
demolished by the text conversion. (You are correct about Xmodem and
Ymodem not having this ability)

There are also a large number of utilities to make the newline
conversion on your PC. I use Rahul Dhesi's FLIP.

No war. No flame-fest (at least, not from me... ;-) I use Zmodem most
of the time, and Kermit when I have to.

--
_R_o_y _M_. _S_i_l_v_e_r_n_a_i_l  | UUCP: uunet!comcon!roy  |  "Every race must arrive at this
#include <opinions.h>;#define opinions MINE  |   point in its history"

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (01/03/90)

   If you can avoid kermit, do so for several reasons.  It's designed
to work on a 7-bit data path, so it has an inherent performance penalty
due to this.  Also, it uses miniscule packets (although newer versions
are supposed to be able to handle reasonably-sized packets ... but only
if you have a newer version at both ends of the data link).  I'm not
sure if it can transmit date/time stamp information; I don't think it
can.

   Between X and Y, pick Y if you have a reasonably reliable phone line.
It uses 1K packets rather than the 128 byte packets of XMODEM, so the
overhead is reduced by about a factor of eight (but if you have a very
noisy phone line, more packets will have to be resent).  I think that
some implementations of XMODEm have added batch transfer capabilities
to it; these are standard in YMODEM (although I don't think either one
transfers time/date stamps).

   I haven't used ZMODEM, so I can't comment except to say that it is
reported to be better than X or Y.

--
Stephen M. Dunn                               cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
          <std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (01/03/90)

>Has anyone else had problems like I illustrated in my previous post?  If so,
>perhaps we can isolate it and create a fix for certain environments.  I will
>post my findings...time to go fire up the datascope!

Well, ISTM the problem with ZMODEM and multiple boxes betwixt and
between isn't ACKS or quacks, it's dropped data.

Since ZMODEM does not sit around every 'n' bits and wait for a grunt
back, it overflows those routes with FUBAR flow control.  In theory,
you get everything out that you put in. In practice, if the buffers are
small, and the flowcontrol either too slow or too stupid, you lose
stuff.  Now since X,Y and Kermit all {send, wait, send, etc} there is
time for the buffers to empty. ZMODEM sees no reason to waste this
time.

There is a Gandolf/Decserver path to mthvax. If I attempt use it
with text, it drops the ends of full pages. Pages with lots of
short lines and <CR>s are no problem. Sure enough, ZMODEM bitches
constantly if I attempt to use this path. But it does go
through, intact.

IMHO, you can't blame ZMODEM for the valid assumption that what
goes in, must come out. You can blame the people who designed
and/or implementated the hardware.

--

querubin@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Antonio Querubin) (01/03/90)

In article <511119@nstar.UUCP> larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:

>What is the current version of MSKermit?  We have 2.31a and am running into
>problems using the server mode and since 2.31 is dated August 88, assume that
>there is a newer release in distribution.

The version we have is 2.32/A.  The current version can be gotten from
kermit.columbia.edu.

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (01/03/90)

scott@csusac.csus.edu (L. Scott Emmons) writes:

>In article <1578@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US> scott@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Scott Reynolds) writes:

>I 'spose I didn't make it very clear in my post, but yeah, the problem with
>Zmodem that I have found likely _isn't_ the protocol itself (which, IMHO, is
>the best one yet), but rather is with the setup of our computer network
>network. [sic -- we have a network of networks, if you will].  I still find it
>strange that ACKfull protocols work where Zmodem doesn't -- Apparantly some
>boxes (X.25 networks, for example) barf on ACKs...which is why Kermit was
>(according to my sourcs) invented (it uses no ACKs).  It seems to me that
>Zmodem should work anywhere that any other protocols do...but I'm not familiar
>with the mechanics of Zmodem.

>Has anyone else had problems like I illustrated in my previous post?  If so,
>perhaps we can isolate it and create a fix for certain environments.  I will
>post my findings...time to go fire up the datascope!

The problem isn't Z-modem, it is the hardware.  Somewhere in the network
a buffer is being overflowed and data is being lost.  This happens
because Z-modem is a streaming protocol, meaning that it sends
continously until either there is an error or the file is finished.

There is already a fix.  sz has some options, the "-l" and the "-L".
Copying from the manual pages:

	  L N  Use ZMODEM sub-packets of length	N.  A larger N (32 <=
	       N <= 1024) gives	slightly higher	throughput, a smaller
	       N speeds	error recovery.	 The default is	128 below 300
	       baud, 256 above 300 baud, or 1024 above 2400 baud.
	  l N  Wait for	the receiver to	acknowledge correct data every
	       N (32 <=	N <= 1024) characters.	This may be used to
	       avoid network overrun when XOFF flow control is
	       lacking.

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer		Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
(201) 245-5922		500 Oakwood Ave.

In article <1636@rodan.acs.syr.edu> amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Michielsen) writes:

| Kermit, Is best because it's free.  It works pretty well for transfers of
| files & the terminal emulation is pretty robust. However, it requires kermit
| running at both ends & setup compatible to do file transfers.

  Hate to shock you, but there are free implementation of [XYZ]modem and
commercial implementations of Kermit.

  Zmodem and window Kermit will run well over packet connections (and
that includes some ECC modems) while the others suffer because of line
turnaround time. They produce the best throughput over clean lines, too,
but they are not as common as plain Kermit and Xmodem.

  Zmodem seems to work better on a noisy line, due to changing the
packet size.
that the world is flat!" - anon

querubin@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Antonio Querubin) (01/04/90)

In article <25A14694.9576@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) writes:

>   If you can avoid kermit, do so for several reasons.  It's designed
>to work on a 7-bit data path, so it has an inherent performance penalty
>due to this.  Also, it uses miniscule packets (although newer versions
>are supposed to be able to handle reasonably-sized packets ... but only
>if you have a newer version at both ends of the data link).  I'm not
>sure if it can transmit date/time stamp information; I don't think it
>can.

Kermit does not inherently work on a 7-bit data path.  MS-Kermit and MACKermit
for example, transfer 8-bit data AS 8-bit data.  You can force 8-bit 'quoting'
if you need to.  Both these versions handle 1K and 2K packets, respectively.
C-Kermit also handles 1K+ packets.  I know that MS-Kermit handles file
attribute info.  MACKermit does also if you select the macbinary mode.  I don't
know about the other modes.

The Kermit family of programs is pretty big.  They're written for different
hardware platforms and a wide variety of operating systems.  Some implement
many of the kermit protocol features, others implement only the basics just to
get the job done.  But they share one very important feature:  they can talk to
each other.

flinton@eagle.wesleyan.edu (01/12/90)

In article <5885@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>, querubin@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu
(Antonio Querubin) writes:

> The version we have is 2.32/A.  The current version can be gotten from
> kermit.columbia.edu.
A beta-test edition of version 3.0 has just been announced (I _think_
I saw the announcement on comp.archives).
						-- Fred

news@bbn.COM (News system owner ID) (01/13/90)

flinton@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
< A beta-test edition of version 3.0 has just been announced (I _think_
< I saw the announcement on comp.archives).

Yes, this is true.  The new version has lots of new stuff, including
international char set handling (both screen and transfer), and the
windowing protocol enhancement (which makes Kermit better than X and
Y-MODEM, and Real Close to Zmodem in performance (roughly 95%
efficiency for text, slightly less (low 90s) for compressed data).

As a fellow Kermit developer, I ask you all to do Joe a big favor: If
you do get a copy of _beta_ MK 3.0, PLEASE do NOT pass it along to
your friends who can't FTP the release version when it comes out
(which will be quite soon), and PLEASE do yourself get the release
version when it comes out (and make sure all beta copies that got
around are updated).

You really wouldn't believe how many letters I get reporting bugs in a
_beta_ version of MacKermit that was superceded a YEAR ago (in this
case, 0.97 -- if you have it, throw it away and get 0.98).

		-- Paul Placeway

charlie@csnz.co.nz (Charles Lear) (01/24/90)

In article <50876@bbn.COM> pplacewa@antares.bbn.com (Paul W Placeway) writes:
>You really wouldn't believe how many letters I get reporting bugs in a
>_beta_ version of MacKermit that was superceded a YEAR ago...

I would.  I had a bug report from a beta test site of my BBS software last
night.  Sounded like something I'd fixed a while ago.  "What version are
you running?"

"5.08"

"Argh! Why aren't you using 5.10S????"

"I found a couple of bugs in it and went back to the old version"...
     Charlie "The Bear" Lear   Snail: Box 12-175, Wellington, New Zealand
 The Cave BBS:  64(4)643429  24hrs V21/23/22/22bis  Free Access 157MB online!
    UUCP: ..!uunet!vuwcomp!dsiramd!csnz!charlie  Domain: charlie@csnz.co.nz