[comp.sys.ibm.pc] VMIX

boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu (SoftXc Coordinator) (02/23/88)

I have heard of a Unix-like interface for MS-DOS called VMIX(?). Can anyone
direct me to getting a copy via e-mail or FTP? I have not seen it available
via simtel20 as of yet.

Thanx in advance,

Brian O'Neill					University of Lowell
boneill@hawk.cs.ulowell.edu - boneill@hawk.UUCP ...!ulowell!hawk!boneill
MS-DOS Software Exchange Coordinator - E-mail for details

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (02/24/88)

In article <5043@swan.ulowell.edu> boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu (SoftXc Coordinator) writes:
>I have heard of a Unix-like interface for MS-DOS called VMIX(?). Can anyone
>direct me to getting a copy via e-mail or FTP? I have not seen it available
>via simtel20 as of yet.

It's available on GEnie. But i would not call it a "unix-like interface".
It's a multitasking/multiuser supervisor, but that's the extent to which it is
unix-like.
--
Wolf N. Paul                  Phone: (214) 306-9101 (h)   (214) 404-8077 (w)
3387 Sam Rayburn Run          UUCP: ihnp4!killer!{dcs, doulos}!wnp

huopio@kannel.lut.fi (Kauto Huopio) (01/20/90)

Does anybody have experiences of a multitaskin package called VMIX?
I ran VM_BOOT, and it seemed to get itself up and running..but any
real operating experiences??

--Kauto
--
****************** Kauto Huopio (huopio@kannel.lut.fi) **********************
*US Mail: Kauto Huopio, Punkkerikatu 1 A 10, SF-53850 Lappeenranta, Finland *

rshelby@ms.uky.edu (Richard Shelby) (01/22/90)

In article <HUOPIO.90Jan19181458@kannel.lut.fi>, huopio@kannel.lut.fi (Kauto Huopio) writes:
> Does anybody have experiences of a multitaskin package called VMIX?

I have tried VMix 286;  it boots and displays a control screen but then
the machine hangs up and I have turn the machine off and back on (warmboot
isn't possible).  I only have one 286 available and so I haven't been
able to try it on another machine.  I'd also like to hear of any experiences.

--
Richard L. Shelby                    rshelby@ms.uky.edu
Department of Health Services        rshelby@ukma.BITNET

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (01/23/90)

In article <13773@s.ms.uky.edu> rshelby@ms.uky.edu (Richard Shelby) writes:
$In article <HUOPIO.90Jan19181458@kannel.lut.fi>, huopio@kannel.lut.fi (Kauto Huopio) writes:
$> Does anybody have experiences of a multitaskin package called VMIX?
$I have tried VMix 286;  it boots and displays a control screen but then
$the machine hangs up and I have turn the machine off and back on (warmboot

   I have tried two versions, one very old and another which is not too
old.  The first one didn't work at all on my machine (AT clone, AMI BIOS),
and the second, called VMIX 386 (though it claims to work on machines from
the 8086/8088 up), dispayed a control screen but then hung the machine.
I also tried this second version on a real IBM PS/2 30-286 and had the
same results.  I don't recall if a warm boot worked or not in either of
these cases.
--
Stephen M. Dunn                               cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
          <std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";

lbilccss@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Lawrence Bilker) (01/23/90)

I just downloaded VMIX 2.25 from Simtel20 and had similar results.  Program
starts and initializes, then hangs.  I am using a PS/2 Model 50Z (286).  I also
tried it on a PS/2 Model 55SX (386SX) and similar results happened.

Lawrence A. Bilker                 		US-MAIL:
Internet: lbilccss@uhura.cc.rochester.edu      	University of Rochester
Bitnet: LBIL_SS@UORDBV     			River Station
UUCP: {cmcl2!decvax!}!rochester!ur-cc!lbilccss	P.O. Box 29689
PhoneNet: 716/274-3474 				Rochester, NY  14627-5689

kim@kannel.lut.fi (Kimmo Suominen) (01/24/90)

I recently got my hands on VMiX 386 and instantly tried it out on a PS/2 model
60.  At first it hung, but then I figured out that it uses COM1 as a secondary
login port.  I have an external modem connected to COM1 and turning the modem
off was a solution.  Of course one might try using COM2 as a login port, but
then you must have one also.  I didn't and VMiX hung again.

IMHO the software has a serious habbit of hanging whenever it likes to ;-)

Kim
--
 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
( Kimmo Suominen        ! Lappeenranta U of Technology ! kim@kannel.lut.fi )

kabra437@pallas.UUCP (Ken Abrams) (01/24/90)

In article <25BB31E4.20086@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) writes:
>   I have tried two versions, one very old and another which is not too
>old.  The first one didn't work at all on my machine (AT clone, AMI BIOS),
>and the second, called VMIX 386 (though it claims to work on machines from
>the 8086/8088 up), dispayed a control screen but then hung the machine.
>I also tried this second version on a real IBM PS/2 30-286 and had the
>same results.  I don't recall if a warm boot worked or not in either of
>these cases.

The authors of this package sure do paint a pretty picture.  My experience
on a '386 was similar to yours.  I actually called one of the people listed
in the documentation.  He couldn't or wouldn't tell me any specific
machine that it would run properly upon.  He said that they realized that
there were still major problems to be resolved (gross understatement).
I left my address and phone number and indicated to them that I would
shell out $$$ if and when they ever got it to work.  This has been about
8 months ago and haven't heard a peep out of them.
I don't know what they really expected to accomplish by releasing something
that they obviously knew wouldn't live up the the hype.  If I remember
correctly, they even had set a price for registration.  What a shame;
it really did SOUND good.