[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Looking for vi

don@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Donald R Lloyd) (01/16/90)

	  Is there an ftp site where I can get a PD vi-clone for the PC?

I have to alter some batch files to put PC's on a network at work,
and using WordPerfect to do it just seems like massive overkill.

Thanks,
 Don

(Haven't gotten through to simtel to look for one, is there an easier-to-
  reach alternative?)

--
  Gibberish             .sig for sale or lease.
  is spoken             Contact don@vax1.acs.udel.edu for more information.

genet@hplsla.HP.COM (Gene Taylor) (01/18/90)

We got a shareware vi that wouldn't do substituion and, therefore, was
pretty disappointing to use.  Then we got the MKS toolkit, by Mortice
Kern Systems, Inc. and besides getting a full-blown vi, it had many
MANY other useful utilities like grep, awk, cpio, find, diff, mv, sed,
sort, wc, which, and a k shell.

MKS toolkit is available to Egghead computer stores here in the Seattle
area for $150.  The vi editor alone has been worth it.

Gene

dmt@pegasus.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) (01/19/90)

In article <5190068@hplsla.HP.COM> genet@hplsla.HP.COM (Gene Taylor) writes:
>We got a shareware vi that wouldn't do substituion and, therefore, was
>pretty disappointing to use.
	Sounds like Paul Vojta's.  Very small, very fast, and incomplete.
	The lack of substitution was a major shortcoming.

>Then we got the MKS toolkit, by Mortice
>Kern Systems, Inc. and besides getting a full-blown vi,...
>...Available for $150.  The vi editor alone has been worth it.
	An excellent, and well-supported, product.

In addition, you may want to try Stevie, which was posted (SOURCE!!!)
to comp.sources.misc in August.  I am about to post an update (couple
of bugs fixed, a number of features added) this weekend.  The advantages:
   -	Source available.  If you don't like something, you can
	change it.
   -	Portable.  Makefiles (and system-dependent functions) available
	for MSDOS, UNIX, MINIX, OS/2, and TOS for the Atari ST.
   -	The "tags" feature has been enhanced to stack tags calls.
	(I use this as a program "browser" at least as much as
	an editor.)

Disadvantages (incompleteness):
   -	"Undo" doesn't work for "ex" commands, just "vi" commands.
   -	No macros.
   -	Probably others as well, but I'm not aware of them.

|    Dave Tutelman						|
|    Physical - AT&T Bell Labs  -  Lincroft, NJ			|
|    Logical -  ...att!pegasus!dmt				|
|    Audible -  (201) 576 2194					|

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (01/23/90)

dmt@pegasus.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) <4408@pegasus.ATT.COM> :
-
-In addition, you may want to try Stevie, which was posted (SOURCE!!!)
-to comp.sources.misc in August.  I am about to post an update (couple
-	[...]
-Disadvantages (incompleteness):
-   -	"Undo" doesn't work for "ex" commands, just "vi" commands.
-   -	No macros.
-   -	Probably others as well, but I'm not aware of them.

Something else that I miss is the ability to specify ranges for ex-mode
commands.  I often want to do things like ":7,38g/emacs/s//vi/g" but all
I've figured out in stevie is a repeated search-and-replace (repeated
"n." sequences) approach.

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (01/24/90)

In article <33664@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) writes:
<
<Something else that I miss is the ability to specify ranges for ex-mode
<commands.  I often want to do things like ":7,38g/emacs/s//vi/g" but all
<I've figured out in stevie is a repeated search-and-replace (repeated
<"n." sequences) approach.

Correct syntax is:   :7,38s/emacs/vi/g

Try that and see if it works any better.
--
      harvard\     att!nicmad\              cs.wisc.edu!astroatc!vidiot!brown
Vidiot  ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (01/24/90)

I sez:
-commands.  I often want to do things like ":7,38g/emacs/s//vi/g" but all

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) <63@vidiot.UUCP> :
-Correct syntax is:   :7,38s/emacs/vi/g
-
-Try that and see if it works any better.

Well whattaya know...  it works in stevie, and in the Ultrix vi!  I've
always used the syntax I showed above, on VAXen, and that worked so I
never tried alternatives.

(My form is defensible:  it's documented to say "search lines 7 thru 38
for the string /emacs/, and replace that string on all matching lines
with the string /vi/ as often as it appears within each line".)

Thanx, Vid!