[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Norton Utilities locking up PS2 55 SX

gerten@uklirb.UUCP (Rainer Gerten) (01/31/90)

In article <1182@ac.dal.ca> rb@ac.dal.ca writes:
>Some users with new ibm ps2 machines have experianced total system lockups
>when using Norton Utilities 4.5. For example, the DS (directory sort) utility
>does this. The nearest machine showing this problem is a ps2 55 sx. Does
>anyone know if a special version is available for these machines ? I had to
>get a special version for a zenith 386 which demonstrated different symptoms.

The norton utilities run fine on a PS/2 55SX, if the IBM supplied
driver XMAEM and XMA2EMS are not installed ! If you are using them, try
other converter for extended to expanded memory. (For example,
under Windows 386, Version 2.11 this works ok)

There are a lot troubles between the IBM supplied drivers for
extended/expanded memory and the microsoft drivers
Example:
HiMem.Sys and XMAEM and XMA2EMS don't work together.

Rainer Gerten
University of Kaiserslautern
West-Germany
mail: gerten@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de