[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Data Transfer - Laptop to PC

eschner@dev8c.mdcbbs.com (01/31/90)

I have an IBM XT at home. At night I go to the local University library to do
research for my Masters Thesis. Rather than write the info on paper, take it
home, and type it into my XT, I would rather type it into a directly into a
laptop and transfer it at home. I want to keep cost down so I will buy a cheap
one, or possibly rent.

Questions:
1) Most of the laptops have 3 1/2 drives. How would I transfer my data to my
   5 1/4 (I currently don't have a modem). Can I use the serial port.
   Parallel Port?
2) I can get a Tandy 102 for a good price, but it is not MS-DOS compatable.
   How would I transfer the data?

Thanks

Brian
eschner@dev8.mdcbbs.COM
uunet!mdcbbs!dev8!eschner

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (02/02/90)

eschner@dev8c.mdcbbs.com writes:

>Questions:
>1) Most of the laptops have 3 1/2 drives. How would I transfer my data to my
>   5 1/4 (I currently don't have a modem). Can I use the serial port.
>   Parallel Port?

I've been using "File Shuttle" from GetC Software for about a year now.
It works pretty well.  With the package you get a converter so you can
connect the Centronics end of a printer cable to the parallel port of a
second PC.  Transfers are quite fast.  It hangs on me occasionally.  I
might have an old version.  I inherited this one from a coworker.

I have also heard good things about LapLink.  I think it is similar to
File Shuttle, but I've never used it.

Hope this helps.
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                   EMAIL: marshall@wind55.seri.gov
Senior Computer Engineer                VOICE: (303)231-1014