[comp.sys.ibm.pc] WD controller question

jerry@polygen.uucp (Jerry Shekhel) (01/20/90)

Hello.

I've a machine with a WD 1003-WA2 storage controller.  Can anyone tell
me what kind of controller this is (my own guess is MFM), and what's
the highest capacity half-height drive that'll work with it (I think
40MB maybe)?

Also, what would be a good deal on a drive like that?  Thanks to all
who reply.
---
+--------------------+-----------------------+-------------------------------+
|                    |  Polygen Corporation  |           UUCP:               |
|  Jerry J. Shekhel  |   Waltham, MA 02254   |  {princeton, mit-eddie,       |
|                    |    (617) 890-2888     |  bu, sunne}!polygen!jerry     |
+--------------------+-----------------------+-------------------------------+

rkl@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (kevin.laux) (01/24/90)

In article <668@fred.UUCP>, jerry@polygen.uucp (Jerry Shekhel) writes:
> I've a machine with a WD 1003-WA2 storage controller.  Can anyone tell
> me what kind of controller this is (my own guess is MFM), and what's
> the highest capacity half-height drive that'll work with it (I think
> 40MB maybe)?

	The WD 1003-WA2 is an MFM controller.  I have one in an AT&T 6386 WGS
with a 68MB (formatted) Micropolis drive (model 1340?).  The drive is full
height, but that shouldn't matter.  The controller can handle at least 68MB.

--rkl

strike@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Strikemaster) (02/02/90)

rkl@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (kevin.laux) writes:

>In article <668@fred.UUCP>, jerry@polygen.uucp (Jerry Shekhel) writes:
>> I've a machine with a WD 1003-WA2 storage controller.  Can anyone tell
>> me what kind of controller this is (my own guess is MFM), and what's
>> the highest capacity half-height drive that'll work with it (I think
>> 40MB maybe)?

>	The WD 1003-WA2 is an MFM controller.  I have one in an AT&T 6386 WGS
>with a 68MB (formatted) Micropolis drive (model 1340?).  The drive is
full
>height, but that shouldn't matter.  The controller can handle at least
68MB.

>--rkl

   Specifically, it is a 2:1 interleave MFM controller, ST-506
presentation to the system bus.  We are running this drive controller
with 80 meg drives and have no problems with it.  The drives, on the
other hand, are taking a terrible beating at the hands of the news feeds.

   Depending on the access speed of your drive and the computer, you
might want to look into replacing the -WA2 with the WD-1006-WA2, which
will allow 1:1 interleaving of the hard drive.  We are looking at this
for our host computer as a way to increase speed for the network news
decompressions, as well as increasing the system RAM.

--
 Tim Bowser  ("Strikemaster")  |  Standard  |  mailrus!sharkey!clmqt!strike
Enterprise Information System  | Disclaimer |  strike@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US