[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Video frame grabbers

akcs.amparsonjr@vpnet.UUCP (Anthony M. Parson, Jr.) (02/01/90)

going back to the BLUE problem.  On my Multisynch II and Paradise VGA Pro-
fessional setup, If I turn on the CPU first, then the monitor, I get
shades of GRAY (and black) and no other colors.  Both the card and the
monitor are autosynch.  I need to turn on the monitor FIRST, then the CPU,
and everything is okay.

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury) (02/02/90)

> I got a very inexpensive, high transfer board from DAK Industries in
> Canoga Park  (yes, these are the people with the neat catalogs).  It
> was $170 and does 256x234 in 64 shades and (the real good point) sits
> on the PC bus for quick transfers.  Playing around with it last night
> yielded a frame grab and display in 2/3 sec (I think I can get it down
> to 1/4 sec if I display in protected 386 mode).  Anyway, this is a rather
> cheap starter board and I finally figured out how to access it meself,
> since DAK was a pain in the ass about handing out source.
>
> The Targa boards are very nice, I've heard- 512x512x64 (and sometimes 256
> i think).  They seem to be quite popular, but I think they're quite a
> bit more expensive...
>
> kevbop

The TARGA boards by TrueVision are nice.  Actually they are 512x512x32,768.
If you want to get very specific they only display 512x482 (in overscan) by
the previously mentioned 32,768 colors.  They do this in REAL time and you can
digitally adjust the contrast, brightness and hue in REAL time also.  I own a
TARGA so I know pretty much what they can and can't do.  At the moment I would
suggest that you look at the Matrox Illuminator 16 as an alternative board.
It has quite a few features that the TARGA board doesn't support such as
popping up a VGA window in the Video frame or popping up a Video image in the
VGA frame...all done in real time.  It's quite impressive and it costs about
$400.00 less than the TARGA 16.

If you have bucks to burn, you may want to consider a AT Vista board instead
of a TARGA because it has programmable resolutions up to something like
2048x2048 (with enough RAM onboard) and is a full 32 bit board.  Of course you
are going to pay for such a beastie..figure on a good $4000 for the lowest
model Vista with only 2 meg of onboard video RAM.  These are the boards the
big guys use to create those spectacular chrome spinning 3D logos and such.
Quite nice equipment but quite pricy.  For my money, I would stick with a
Matrox because it is quite versitle and they are coming out with a MCA bus
version by the end of the month.

-- Bob

PS: I forgot..the TARGA 16 lists for $1995 I believe..Matrox $1495.

InterNet: bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com          |       ProLine: bobl@pro-graphics
    UUCP: ..crash!pro-graphics!bobl          |        CServe: 70347,2344
ARPA/DDN: ..crash!pro-graphics!bobl@nosc.mil |  Amer. Online: Graphics3D
            Raven Enterprises - 25 Raven Ave. Piscataway, NJ 08854