[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Converting MAC to IBMPC format

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (02/03/90)

A MacPaint file does basically contain a bit map that corresponds to a
complete page (8.5 by 11) at 72 d.p.i.  (so you can figure out the full
resolution yourself).  Most people tend to work in the upper left of this
area.

There is a difficulty, though.  The MacPaint file is encoded using a
simple compression algorithm that is built into the Mac operating system.
(The routine is called PackBits.)  This routine basically uses a repeat packing
method that compresses when three or more consecutive equal bytes are
encountered.  (As to how this is represented, I don't know.  It should be
easy to figure out, though.)

-Michael

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

malloy@nprdc.arpa (Sean Malloy) (02/03/90)

In article <10689@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> mithomas@bsu-cs.UUCP (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
>There is a difficulty, though.  The MacPaint file is encoded using a
>simple compression algorithm that is built into the Mac operating system.
>(The routine is called PackBits.)  This routine basically uses a repeat packing
>method that compresses when three or more consecutive equal bytes are
>encountered.  (As to how this is represented, I don't know.  It should be
>easy to figure out, though.)

If the graphics viewer program bills itself as being able to display
MacPaint files, then all that should have to be done is to download
the file to the PC. I have downloaded a number of MacPaint files to my
PC clone, and all I have needed to do to view them is to feed them to
my viewer program -- it handles all of the decoding invisibly.

 Sean Malloy                                   | "The Crystal Wind is the
 Navy Personnel Research & Development Center  | Storm, and the Storm is Data,
 San Diego, CA 92152-6800                      | and the Data is Life."
 malloy@nprdc.navy.mil                         | -- _Emerald Eyes_, D.K. Moran