[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Clock reading routine broken in old XT - suggestions ?

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (02/03/90)

richard@calvin.spp.cornell.edu (Richard Brittain) writes:

>   A friend has an old XT with a clock card in it, and a program TIMER.COM
>that reads the card and sets the DOS date/time.  It broke at new year - the
>program apparently hard coded the year as 8x (so much for things breaking
>in 2000).  I haven't been able to look at the card itself or dissect the
>program, but is it possible that this clock is read in any kind of "standard"
>way that another version of TIMER.COM might work -  any pointers appreciated

Well, first of all, there are entirely too many programs called "TIMER.COM"
out there. And none of them compatibile with each other. But don't give up hope
as most clock cards are childishly simple to talk to.

When I get the time, I'll be finishing up a set of programs for dealing with
those odd clock cards. The program is only a few lines of Turbo Pascal. The
hard part is determining what the card's IO addresses are. That program is
why I haven't posted the code already.

If you have a copy of TP4.0 or later, and are willing to do some digging, I'll
mail you my GETCLOCK and SETCLOCK programs, along with a program to help you
hunt for the location of the clock card.
--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]