[comp.sys.ibm.pc] What is the SysRq key for?

ccoombs@pilot.njin.net (Cliff Coombs) (01/11/90)

I'm sure it happens to all of us every so often...

Someone new to computers came up to me the other day and asked
"what does the SysRq key do?", once again I had to admit I'm not the
all knowing guru some people think I am. (I hate being referred to as
a computer expert)

So, Netlanders, on the IBM enhanced keyboard, under the print screen
key, What is SysRq? How is it used? Why is there no mention of it in
the documentation that comes with the system?

Thanks for the wisdom of the net!
Digitally,
Cliff
--

  Cliff Coombs                                          ccoombs@pilot.njin.net
  Campus Network Coordinator 	 	 		 admp03@turbo.kean.edu

6600zeek@hub.UUCP (Todd Howitt) (01/12/90)

From article <Jan.11.09.43.32.1990.19450@pilot.njin.net>, by ccoombs@pilot.njin.net (Cliff Coombs):
> Someone new to computers came up to me the other day and asked
> "what does the SysRq key do?", once again I had to admit I'm not the
> all knowing guru some people think I am. (I hate being referred to as
> a computer expert)
>
> So, Netlanders, on the IBM enhanced keyboard, under the print screen
> key, What is SysRq? How is it used? Why is there no mention of it in
> the documentation that comes with the system?

Heh heh, good question!  As far as I know, it's only useful purpose is
for a warm reboot.  Used in conjuction with ctrl-alt, it does a software
reboot which is a little closer to a hard reset than a ctrl-alt-del.  I
haven't found any other functions for it.

> Thanks for the wisdom of the net!

Wisdom?  What wisdom?

     ________________I hate signatures, and so do you.___________________
    |Todd Howitt, AKA Bob & Doug |                                       |
    |6600zeek@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu   | >This space intentionally left blank< |
    |6600zeek@ucsbuxa.bitnet     |                                       |

lisbon@vpnet.UUCP (Gerry Swetsky) (01/14/90)

6600zeek@hub.UUCP  [Todd Howitt]:
> Heh heh, good question!  As far as I know, it's only useful purpose is
> for a warm reboot.  Used in conjuction with ctrl-alt, it does a software
> reboot which is a little closer to a hard reset than a ctrl-alt-del.

    Perhaps on YOUR computer it does!

| Help stamp out stupid .signature files!		    Gerry Swetsky  |
|      vpnet offers callers free access to selected Usenet conferences     |
| Home (708)833-8122       vpnet (708)833-8126          lisbon@vpnet.uucp  |

TGOLDIN@amherst.bitnet (01/17/90)

In article <Jan.11.09.43.32.1990.19450@pilot.njin.net>, ccoombs@pilot.njin.net (Cliff Coombs) writes:
> Someone new to computers came up to me the other day and asked
> "what does the SysRq key do?", once again I had to admit I'm not the
> all knowing guru some people think I am. (I hate being referred to as
> a computer expert)

As far as I know, there is no inherent function to the SysRq key.
However, I have seen it used by a utility program of the AOX '386 accellerator
boards.  If you install a device called "master.sys" in the config.sys, the
SysRq key takes on the function of switching between the '386 chip on the AOX
board and the '286 chip on the system board (ie, it activates and deactivates
the '386 board).

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Jason Merrill) (02/03/90)

In article <25c05b14:4120.4comp.sys.ibm.pc;1@vpnet.UUCP> akcs.amparsonjr@vpnet.UUCP (Anthony M. Parson, Jr.) writes:
>     How about a TSR that does a "print screen" without using INT5H,
>     perhaps offering a choice of what lines to print from the screen
>      (rather than all 25 lines)?

There is already a program which does that; it's called SPS (for Selective
Print Screen), and uses the PrtSc key, as I recall.  I don't know where it
is available.

--
Jason Merrill				jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu