[comp.sys.ibm.pc] SIMTEL-20 archive type

thomas@gemed.com (Thomas J. Stirn) (02/03/90)

I have downloaded a number of archives from SIMTEL, the only problem I have
is I don't know what type of archive was used in their generation.  Would
some kind soul please post the archive method used and where I can get the
appropriate dearcing executable?  I have tried all the PK types.

Thanks,
Tom

austin@bucsf.bu.edu (Austin H. Ziegler, III) (02/03/90)

Thomas> I have downloaded a number of archives from SIMTEL, the only
Thomas> problem I have is I don't know what type of archive was used in
Thomas> their generation.  Would some kind soul please post the archive
Thomas> method used and where I can get the appropriate dearcing
Thomas> executable?  I have tried all the PK types.

	PKXArc should work, but you may need to get ARCE to dearchive the
files.  That can be downloaded from SIMTEL20, but don't worry....it is
self-extracting.

Thomas> Thanks,
Thomas> Tom

P.S.  If you post things about SIMTEL20 to comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d then you
will probably get an answer from Keither Peterson directly.

austin
--
+--------------------------+-----------------------+-----------------------+
| Austin Herbert Ziegler   |  austin@ bucsf.bu.edu | "The Hammer has       |

w8sdz@smoke.BRL.MIL (Keith Petersen) (02/03/90)

<thomas@filming.gemed.com> (Tom Stirn x4-6568) writes:
>I have downloaded a number of archives from SIMTEL, the only problem I have
>is I don't know what type of archive was used in their generation.  Would
>some kind soul please post the archive method used and where I can get the
>appropriate dearcing executable?  I have tried all the PK types.

Tom, all ARCs on SIMTEL20 were made with PKARC or PKPAK (the same
program, just a different name after the lawsuit by SEA).  PKPAK is
available from SIMTEL20 as:

     pd1:<msdos.arc-lbr>PK361.EXE

If you cannot extract from the ARCs you downloaded, the most likely
problem is you forgot to use TENEX mode in FTP.  BINARY or IMAGE will
NOT work because SIMTEL20 is a 36-bit machine.  The TENEX mode sorts out
the differences in word size and byte order between your host and
SIMTEL20, and does the right thing to transfer binary files.

Please send comments or questions to me instead of posting them to the
net.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, & MISC archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (02/03/90)

In article <AUSTIN.90Feb2142538@bucsf.bu.edu> austin@bucsf.bu.edu (Austin H. Ziegler, III) writes:

>Thomas> I have downloaded a number of archives from SIMTEL, the only
>Thomas> problem I have is I don't know what type of archive was used in
>
>	PKXArc should work, but you may need to get ARCE to dearchive the
>files.  That can be downloaded from SIMTEL20, but don't worry....it is
>self-extracting.

Almost, but not quite so.  PKXARC (or PKUNPAK or ARC602) will do,
but ARCE is not self-extracting.  My advice for Thomas is to get
PK361.EXE (it will contain PKPAK and PKUNPAK).  You can get it from
Simtel20, or from chyde.uwasa.fi, Vaasa, Finland, by anonymous ftp
from directory /pc/pd2, or from any well-stocked BBS.  And I agree
with Austin that you mght be well-adviced to join the newsgroup
comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d for these matters.
Prof. Timo Salmi         (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)